IE7 homepage & search engine

Dr_Z

Hi !

1/ I'm looking to put a custom homepage for IE7 on my Nlited-Windows CD (In fact, my website ! not the default one, nor google.com... :angry: )

2/ I'd also like to insert a customized search engine in the "search" toolbar -> top-right of the IE7 window (In fact #2: My custom search engine. :whistle: )

I've been looking, and made some tests, but none works. :realmad:

Any "good-old-school" advice ?

Thanks !

Stef.

Edited by Dr_Z

• 4 months later...

ok i have came accross soloutions to both of these questions b4 but i am unsure where.

However i do know that in your system32 folder there shoould be a file called homepage.ini(perhaps.inf) and i believe that file contains info on your current homepage etc.

If this is correct you could put/copy this file into your %oem% folder so that it is copied into your system 32 folder on fist run/logon. that way it would be done for you.

Also there are many .reg tweaks floating on (here at msfn?) the internet and you could use the run once in the unatended part of nlite to apply these registry tweaks on first run/logon.

Hope tis helps.

PS.If your unsure about the %oem% folder etc. then you should browse this forum for help/answers.

1/ I'm looking to put a custom homepage for IE7 on my Nlited-Windows CD (In fact, my website ! not the default one, nor google.com... :angry: )

To change the Internet Explorer 7 start page, add the following to your registry.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"Start Page"="<your-home-page-here>"

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
"Start Page"="<your-home-page-here>"

2/ I'd also like to insert a customized search engine in the "search" toolbar -> top-right of the IE7 window (In fact #2: My custom search engine. :whistle: )

To change the search assistant in Internet Explorer 7, add the following to your registry.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search]
"SearchAssistant"="<your-search-page-here>"
"CustomizeSearch"="<your-search-page-here>"

To add your own search providers, have a look at the following two registry keys and their subkeys.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes]
[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes]