NLite: W2K Installation hangs up when saving settings

Thilo

@nuhi,

I retested Windows 2000 keeping Network DDE and DTC services. The COM+ subcomponent error disappeared, but setup still locked at "Saving Settings." I have yet to retest XP. but will do so in the next 24 hours.

Also (and I don't mean to bog you down with problems here), but it appears that nLite does not read preset INI information under the [Options] section (at least when nLiting Windows 2000), because although my typical options are listed in my preset INI, I have to change/enter them manually in nLite each time I do an nLite session.

P.S. I did yet another retest with Windows 2000 just to make sure, and it still hangs at "Saving Settings," despite following your recommendations.

@AgiHammerklau,

The drivers I have chosen work fine in Windows 2000. Sometimes XP drivers work in 2K, AFAIK. Even my Creative X-Fi drivers (which I do not integrate) can be forced via support.cab to install and function normally on Windows 2000.

EDIT: Additional information.

Edited by slippykillsticks

I had a similar problem. I made a image and used in in VMWare and it worked well. Then I decided to change a few of the tweak settings so I fired Nlite up again changed a few things and resaved the ISO. Well for some reason that broke it, it would hang on 9 minutes remaining. So I re-extracted XP and put back my addon and drivers, tweaks and components rebuilt it tried it again in VM and it worked flawlessly. Then I tried it on a PC and it worked!

As a side note, I love this program it is awesome. Thanks for making it.

slippykillsticks, what can i say, I tested it and with NetworkDDE kept it works. I will retry again to be sure, then I yell at you for not using clean files or some other tampering ;)

Btw presets are loaded for all windows the same. What do you change manually?

xenon2050, thanks for the compliment.

Do you maybe recall how would I be able to repeat that issue? Any changes 2 times with SFC kept enabled I presume?

nuhi,

Sorry to still have this topic going. Kind of a hard problem to diagnose, I'm sure.

If it works for you, it should work for me (you programmed the darn thing, for god's sake). I'll run through it again just to make sure I didn't mess it up some other way. After all, the problem went away on XP practically on its own.

Thanks for being patient and for continuing to respond. :)

My OP in this thread (sorry for hijacking it) was not meant as a complaint. I, like xenon2050, fully appreciate nLite and the effort it must take to both program it (on your own time, no less), support a community for it, and take you-know-what from naysayers and crazies. I thought I had discovered a bug and wanted to voice it. As you can see, I post very rarely to begin with.

Thanks again for your work.

Edited by slippykillsticks

Don't worry about it, the proof that it hanged for me too when Netdde was removed is enough to put you at ease.

Just I'm currently busy, I'll get back to you and we'll solve it. If it hangs for you again with Netdde kept then just wait, or try older versions.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem too. I already tested it several times and I follow nuhi's advice but still it doesnt work. Windows XP works perfectly fine on me I even put some addon.

I dont know what to do to this Windows 2000. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

LAST_SESSION.INI

What did you use as source and how did you create it ?

´Cause I see lots of integrated drivers but no SP or Hotfixes.

@Nuhi

Tried to reproduce the error again, with dde removed, but still couldn´t get it to hang.

Used the latest HFSLIP to create the source and the nlite 1.4b to integrate drivers and remove components.

Unfortuanately I deleted the CD RW already, so I can´t post the LSini, sorry.

Agi

EDIT

It seems, that at least Thilo´s problem is selfinflicted and not nlite related, due to creating the source with HFSLIP and placing .NET installers in the wrong folder, using wrong hotfixes, using 64Bit drivers, tinkering with files without the slightest knowledge about them,...

Edited by AgiHammerklau

I use the original cd to integrate those drivers. I didn't add hotfixes because I havent seen one yet. Im planning to use this windows2000 to my company. If I able to integrate those it will be a very big help for me.

I hope you guys can help me.

Im planning to use this windows2000 to my company.

This is the licence agreement, that you accepted when you installed nlite :

Look at point 1 and 5 ! ;)

LICENSE AGREEMENT:

Your use of nLite is governed by the following conditions. Please read this information

carefully before using nLite. By using it you are agreeing to the following conditions:

1. nLite is freeware and can be freely used for any personal non-commercial purposes,

subject to the following restrictions.

2. nLite can be only distributed electronically through the official host www.nliteos.com.

Distribution through other websites or in any other form without the author's permission is

prohibited.

For distribution through free CD/DVD Magazine addon contact the author for permission.

3. nLite is supplied "as-is". The author assumes no liability for damages, direct or

consequential, which may result from the use of nLite.

4. Import Restrictions. International users also check any import restrictions that your

government may impose. Reread eula.txt in your Windows\System32 folder.

5. nLite is free for personal use only, you cannot use it for any company or business

purposes at this time.

6. MCDBNET2.dll is registered on me (the nLite author) with the royalty-free license and can

be distributed only bundled with nLite.

7. nLite is a copyrighted material of Dino Nuhagic aka nuhi. You may not decompile,

disassemble or otherwise reverse engineer this product. You may not include the parts of

nLite in your software without the author's permission. You may not alter or modify nLite in

any way or create a new installer for it.

Copyright © 2004-2006, Dino Nuhagic aka nuhi

So at least my support ends here.

Agi

Edited by AgiHammerklau

Im planning to use this windows2000 to my company.

This is the licence agreement, that you accepted when you installed nlite :

Look at point 1 and 5 ! ;)

LICENSE AGREEMENT:

Your use of nLite is governed by the following conditions. Please read this information

carefully before using nLite. By using it you are agreeing to the following conditions:

1. nLite is freeware and can be freely used for any personal non-commercial purposes,

subject to the following restrictions.

2. nLite can be only distributed electronically through the official host www.nliteos.com.

Distribution through other websites or in any other form without the author's permission is

prohibited.

For distribution through free CD/DVD Magazine addon contact the author for permission.

3. nLite is supplied "as-is". The author assumes no liability for damages, direct or

consequential, which may result from the use of nLite.

4. Import Restrictions. International users also check any import restrictions that your

government may impose. Reread eula.txt in your Windows\System32 folder.

5. nLite is free for personal use only, you cannot use it for any company or business

purposes at this time.

6. MCDBNET2.dll is registered on me (the nLite author) with the royalty-free license and can

be distributed only bundled with nLite.

7. nLite is a copyrighted material of Dino Nuhagic aka nuhi. You may not decompile,

disassemble or otherwise reverse engineer this product. You may not include the parts of

nLite in your software without the author's permission. You may not alter or modify nLite in

any way or create a new installer for it.

Copyright © 2004-2006, Dino Nuhagic aka nuhi

So at least my support ends here.

Agi

You are not alone. I have the exact same problem. Just a few drivers added, no hotfixes.

@Ac men

Please post your LastSessionIni.

What do you mean with "exact the same problem" ?

The "hanging" or that you want to use nlite for a company as well ? ;)

Basically, "Just a few drivers added", is not very clear, ´cause depending on the kind of drivers, their sequence and the method of integration is important.

Agi

Edited by AgiHammerklau

Same problem here, I've added a ryanvm package, Intel 82915G/GV/910GL driver and a Broadcom 57XX Gigabit NIC driver, burned the ISO twice, no luck.

Gonna try make an ISO without adding any driver tomorrow.

Edited by newer

Dear colleagues,

thanks for your motivation...

I cannot say really what the problem was, because now the problem got solved automatically, I killed my Nlite-partition by experimenting with mkbt.exe, and entered the wrong drive letter...

then I had to place all data for new on my partition, and then it worked... seems as if some Addons and some other event caused to destroy some data, so that nothing went at all before...

Thilo