NLite: W2K Installation hangs up when saving settings

Thilo

Hello together!

I have currently the problem that my auto-install-CD cannot setup a fully startable Windows 2000 Pro system, it always hangs up when trying to save the settings.

I know that there are logs, but how can i find or read them so that I know the reason why Win setup hangs up?

Regards,

Thilo

slippykillsticks, I have tried your XP preset but without the addons and it was fine.

Can you please do the same and confirm that it's addons before I download and try them. If you have time, and doing the checks virtually, maybe you could neutralize some. Thx.

Hello Nuhi,

I tried to find out what the reason is for the hang-ups, but it seems to be more unclear the time advances.

First of all, I thought the Addons were the reason, and I removed some of them apparently not working under Windows 2000.

Then the system saved the settings, and I changed something.

I added some ELSA ISDN card drivers, and the setup hanged when trying to detect my hardware, then I removed it, and some times later my windows setup stopped again when saving the settings, at 10 percent or less like before...

Some time later, I tried to remove no components, it was possible that the removal of those killed something essential for the saving of settings under W2K.

Like asked, the last_session.ini is added, the settings were named "Neuanfang" in German, or "new beginning";)

Unfortunately, there was no successful beginning...

Isn't there a chance to read the logs unter Windows in general to find out when or why Windows setup hangs up? there are several logs in the windows directory i can export to another drive when pressing "Ctrg-F6" so that the command prompt can be opened...

regards... Thilo

Neuanfang.ini

Thilo, that's kinda weird. Don't worry about the hardware detection hanging, that can't be nLite's fault, happens with Windows sometimes, or with some drivers.

About the saving settings, there is no log that I know of, it's a part of setup when Windows checks WFP/SFC, probably filling the dllcache.

Try disabling the SFC, this could be a mistake in the new SFC cleanup.

nuhi,

I have completed a retest using my XP preset on Windows XP, minus addons. I couldn't reproduce the problem. Therefore the problem must be in my addons. My .NET, OpenAL, and InstallShield Addons have not changed recently, but my RyanVM pack/addons have. It must be one of the RyanVM addons.

I will continue my testing with Windows 2000 and report back.

EDIT: I have tested again with Windows 2000 using the same preset but not with addons. Setup locked up at Saving Settings just as before. Additionally, I forgot to mention that I've been getting an error just prior to Performing Final Tasks about "missing sub-component: comsvcs.dll".

Edited by slippykillsticks

AgiHammerklau, if I only read your comment before then I wouldn't try it...but I did and it does stop at the saving settings :\

First issue was that the DTC is removed and it's needed for COM+, ok that solved one issue but it wasn't the one causing the hang. I'm on it.

slippykillsticks, I think I got it.

Keep the Network DDE service, that should take care of the hang. If you confirm that component will be hidden in Win2k because it's too much work (involves hacking) for only 60kB. It will stay in XP though.

Also it's very recommended to keep the DTC service if you keep Com+, that will solve that comsvcs error.

Let me know how it goes.