Creating New Active Directory Site

I've got two locations that I admin, each with it's own DC in the same domain. I have setup DFS and want to start using the feature where it will grab data from the closest source so our VPN doesn't get clogged. To do this I see I need to establish another site in Active Directory (Currently everything is in the default site), which seems logical enough. However I've got an Exchange server running, as well as some other resources that I don't know to enough about to determine what the outcome of this will bring. So here are the main questions:

1. Exchange - Will the other site require any different configuration or administration for a user to access the Exchange server via Outlook 2003?

2. Active Directory - I know some thing like GPO's might require me to keep a sharper eye on which site it applies to, but are there any other major changes for standard administration that I should be aware of?

3. DC - Will things like GC and FSMO things change because of having one in each site?

4. Renaming Site - The first site is something annoying like Default-First-Site. I asked one guy about changing the name to something else and he suggested against it for reasons he didn't explain. Is he just blowing smoke or should I not mess with that one?

I think those are my current sticking points. We have several users who travel between sites, so getting this fixed will be a big load of my shoulders if I can eliminate the bandwidth issue.

So you say these domain controllers are syncing together?

• I would say get them sorted in Sites and Services. Rename the Default-First-Site to something more relevant (e.g HQ).
  • Create a new site again giving it a relevant name.
  • Create a subnet for the new network as well as one for your HQ's if you haven't done so already, matching the subnet to the site.
  • Right click the server in the branch office and move it to the new site.
  • Inter-Site Transports > IP. Rename the DEFAULTIPSITELINK (e.g HQ<>Branch). Right click > Properties. Add the new site to the site link. If you need to change any replication schedules.

Im not sure about the exchange side of things. If its working ok as it is at the moment then nothing should change. When I have done it I install an Exchange into the new branch office. Mail all comes in at the head office end where the Exchange there distributes it to the correct server depending on which Mailbox Store the users account resides on.

The question about FMSO roles is an odd one. If your two DC's are indeed communicating at the moment then there will only be one DC with these roles. Typically this is the first DC for the domain unless someone's changed this. Nothing needs to change. What I will say though is make both servers GC servers. You should always have at least one GC server at each site.

Now that you've told AD Sites and Services more information about the network it resides on it will use this to check which server is most local to a user. Hopefully this will put an end too any slow access your users are experiencing. Apart from Exchange I guess.

Exchange will not require any retuning or adjusting if no other Exchange servers are bring brought online. I am guessing this is an all in one Exchange server (no front end/back end setup) if so, you won't have to worry about exchange. FSMO rules probably are all still assigned to the First DC that was created, not normally a good thing but with only 2 DCs isn't that bad (extra DCs would be nice!). if the infratstructure was laid out differently, you might want to look into moving them around but with what you have it won't be needed. GPO's still are going to be applied to your OUs or domain, sites only bring into the issue of replication for your DC's and cost to replicate back and for across the WAN. Depending on how many users are at each site, you can keep your replication costs down by both being GCs

Thanx for the tips guys...both DC's are GC, and FSMO rules are in the first one for now. We will be adding extra DC's shortly, so I will be playing with the FSMO rules eventually. The Exchange was my biggest fear, mostly just from not knowing. We only have one server currently, seems to be handling the load fine enough for both sites.

I'll be jumping on this project over the holiday, so I'll let you know the status of it come Thursday...or earlier if it all melts down :)