Windows Update without Internet Explorer?

harle2

Hi everyone,

i have a quick question:

i disabled IE7 while creating a slim vista iso using vlite. it was not listed as a neccesary component (red).

now i start thinking about how to get the newest microsoft patches, because as far as i know this is only possible using IE7.

Is there any possibility to reinstall IE7 or to get updates using Firefox?

Best regards,

harle2

The only annoyance comes when you click yahoo messanger links or some other links, like in an about window of some programs...

At that moment nothing will happen, even after you install firefox and allow it to be the default browser.

To get it working, follow this link.

In short...

Click the Start menu

Click Default Programs

Click “Set program access and computer deaults”

Select Custom then click on the drop arrow

Look for “Choose a default web browser” and select Mozilla Firefox

Edited by Tzeb

after creating my new vlited vista business i can pretty much say it is safe to remove ie7 & ie core

i have not run into any problems with any of the programs i use , foobar , americas army , exact audio copy , o&o defrag , winrar , paint.net , ccleaner

i think i encountered a problem: how is it possible to validate windows using firefox. while trying to download the genuine software i get an endless loop on the site telling me to download the programm when the option 'open or download' appears, but it starts over and over...

i think i encountered a problem: how is it possible to validate windows using firefox. while trying to download the genuine software i get an endless loop on the site telling me to download the programm when the option 'open or download' appears, but it starts over and over...

There are 2 ways: downloading AND running the application (restart firefox) or download and run another program, that provides you with a short key to enter on the site.

To anyone which dosen't allready know, then there is an awesome Firefox Extension called IE Tab, which renders pages through the IE core in a new Firefox tab, so if you haven't removed the IE core with nLite, then you can use Firefox to pass WGA checks and use 'Windows Update'. You simply click the left mouse-button on the 'IE Tab' icon to have the current page re-rendered through the IE core in a new tab, and you can also in advance add all the IE only URL's you know to 'IE Tab's preferences, so that those pages automatically gets rendered through the IE core the next time you enter those URL's.