playing new games on old video card?

amocanu

i have an old nVidia Geforce 2 video card and i was wondering if there is some software that will allow me to play new games by implementing the features from new video cards in software instead of hardware.

What i am looking for is some kind of compatibility layer that will allow me to use games that need a new video card. This software is suppose to use the main processor instead of the GPU.

Does something like this exists?

Im afraid not.i never seen anything that would do this and looks impossible.such a layer maker software needs to edit the game files.so technicaly it will be a new game ;)

Gf 4 Ti serries could not play Bf2 only because EA created it with 1.4 pixel shader and Ti serries only had 1.3. The card was perfectly capable to run the game performance wise, yet, you couldn't play Bf2, mainly because EA did not want to support Pixel shader 1.3 for Ti serries so EA - Nvidia contract sell more newer cards. Yet some fans made some adjustment to the game that you could play Bf 2, with totaly wired graphic glitches but still

Yes, there are! 3D-Analyze is one of them.

I use it to play some of the newer games on my Intel onboard card that does't support hardware T&L, and it works fine! Sure, the game does run a bit slower, but if you reduce the resolution and other settings, the speed is quite playable.

Get it from here.

just play older games on it

half life

deus ex

commandos 2

red alert 2 : yuri's revenge

quake 3

there's plenty of other awesome old games that you'd pick up really cheap!

what you're asking is like riding a go kart in the indy 500

Edited by bledd

If anything, you should take advantage of the fact that the hardware is old enough to run older games. Newer hardware can't run some of the old classics properly. Things like Dune, Leisure Suit Larry, Police Quest, King's Quest, Jones in the Fast Lane, Command and Conquer and so on and so forth.

just play older games on it

half life

deus ex

commandos 2

red alert 2 : yuri's revenge

quake 3

there's plenty of other awesome old games that you'd pick up really cheap!

what you're asking is like riding a go kart in the indy 500

I completely agree,infact i love some old games still like quake3 and diablo 2.

i run old games easier now on new hardware than i did with a 486 when they were new. dosbox is beautiful. no more trying to figure out how to squeeze an extra 4k out of conventional memory!

p.s.

here's a decent video card for 26.99 after rebate.

(SAPPHIRE 100577L-1 Radeon 9550 256MB 128-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X)