Installing XP With Broken PS/2 Port

morocco31477

I have an old computer that I am trying to reformat. When I get to "press any key to boot from CD", it won't work cause I'm using a USB mouse. It just boots into Windows. When I try plugging in a PS/2 keyboard it doesn't work (in the mouse port either). I need to do a fresh install, but if I can't hit a button to boot from CD then I don't see how I can do this. I made the CD-ROM the first boot device and all other boot devices disabled.

Now come on. He can't do squat to the bios if his keyboard doesn't work! can't press f2 to enter setup, can't use arrow keys to navigate, etc. Duh!

Now do you really mean mouse, or are you talking keyboard? Does the keyboard work at all in Windows, or not at all? More info please. ;)

Yes yes, I meant keyboard, sorry. No, this is the thing, they USB keyboard works, BUT, it doesn't respond when the BIOS says "press any key to boot from CD". It does respond, however, when you have to hit DEL or F8 to get into the BIOS. Very weird.

theres no reason a USB keyboard wont work. on almost all new dells theres no PS/2 port, they're going USB on everything almost, so why wouldn't it work for you?

keyboard and mice ports are not exchangeable...different signals on the pins.

and about the fully unattended.

he'd have to remove the CD and then put it back in during the XP bootscreen for that to be possible, or else it would go into an endless format disk cycle.

Edited by bonestonne

Now come on. He can't do squat to the bios if his keyboard doesn't work! can't press f2 to enter setup, can't use arrow keys to navigate, etc. Duh!

I've been able to get into a few computers' BIOSes using a USB keyboard even when that USB option in the BIOS was not selected. Not selecting it just caused problems later on in the boot process. ;)