System Mechanic 7

iceangel89

well, i haven't tried 7 yet, but i own 6, and its alright.

really, if you want to make an old computer better, either downgrade the OS, or slipstream, with nLite. System Mechanic pro is basically a RAM defragger, HDD defragger, and CCleaner smashed together with a cute little GUI..of course there are more features, but i have AdAware SE, Avast, and Comodo Firewall, i see no point in using its spyware cleaner, or its private data clearer [as its quite annoying to go back and fix all those forums and website passwords].

instead of looking for an expensive product, you should look into freeware applications that can do the same thing. CCleaner is a very good one, many many people here use it, as for a RAM defragger, i'm not sure what to tell you, i hardly defrag my RAM as is, so i don't want to seem like the blind leading the blind on that.

i used the trial version of this software and it really got worse than ver6.there are so many lighter softwares that actualy do a BETTER JOB than system mechanic 7 (some of them for free ;) ) .

ok thanks then i guess its no point trying then.

bonestonne, same as u i am already using XP - nLited, Ad-Aware, COMODO, Avast! its still abit laggy, guess its a 5 yr old PC afterall, what i do usually is to reformat. it speed things up quite alot. but its time consuming - the software installation parts, will do a Disk Image the next time i format.

i've got a 9 year old monster with a boot time after POST of about 30 seconds or less.

Dual Xeon 700mhz CPUs @ 784mhz 100mhz FSB, 2mb L2 cache.

in terms of technology the two computers can't be too far apart from each other.

i don't defragment, i rarely use System Mechanic Pro, and i've recently started mucking around with autoCAD like programs [K-3D]. granted i have over a gig of total RAM, i can only completely access 640mb of it.

its all in how you keep your box running. i don't schedule scans of any kind, i don't even see the need to...i just run CCleaner when i feel its a bit sluggish. also, when you're using nLite, it depends on what you remove, not exactly how much.

i also don't use Sp2...that could easily be a major difference. i use SP1, and have stumbled across a Windows XP Pro cd that was before the service packs...its a possibility for this computer if not 2000.

being kept tidy without cramming too much on the hard drive is better than constantly servicing the computer

a software that does the same thing but is lighter is Ace Utilities, cause the recent version of system mechanic are too big.

Or you can use a combo of freeware to achieve the same results.

Edited by albator