Help me get Java to work w/ IE 6 on XP SP2

seskanda

I'm having trouble accessing this website, which apparently uses Java. I get an illegal operation in jscript.dll everytime. I uninstalled MS Java using the MSJVM removal tool, and used the latest Sun Java 1.6.1 when the problem first happened. I uninstalled 1.6.1, and am now using 1.5.3, but it made NO difference. I re-installed Microsoft Java, but it STILL fails on me. What is jscript.dll? I replaced it with one from dll-files.com, but NO luck whatsoever.

Thanks in advance.

Geez....I repaired IE 6 by right-clicking ie.inf and choosing install, ran ie-reg.cmd, and completely removed all traces of Java (MS , Sun, or otherwise) and it still crashes on jscript.dll. My only conclusion is the web site itself must be at fault.

It works properly in Firefox but the website is ridiculously slow, using java 6 btw. Haven't updated to 6.1 yet. Using IE you don't get the nifty scroll/zoom functions, well I can get zoom in but haven't figured out zoom out/scrolling.

Edited by Tasslehoff

jscript.dll has little to do with actual java - it is responsible for running javascript, which is a java scripting language (it's not full-blown java or a java applet - they sound similar, but are much different). Does the error crash IE, or just give a pop-up error?

It works properly in Firefox but the website is ridiculously slow, using java 6 btw. Haven't updated to 6.1 yet. Using IE you don't get the nifty scroll/zoom functions, well I can get zoom in but haven't figured out zoom out/scrolling.

So it works for you in IE? What version of IE do you have?

jscript.dll has little to do with actual java - it is responsible for running javascript, which is a java scripting language (it's not full-blown java or a java applet - they sound similar, but are much different). Does the error crash IE, or just give a pop-up error?

So could there be something wrong with Javascript? What's the difference between crashing and a pop-up error? To me, the error looks very similiar to the 'ol illegal operation errors from Win9x. Here is an image of the error. As you can see, once the "Loading icons..."caption appears it crashes, and when i "click here' for more info it cites jscript.dll as the cause of the problem. If someone wants the error report then i need to know how to copy that, because it doesn't seem to let me.

seskanda :hello: :

Can't tell from the picture; is that XP and IE7, or XP and IE6 (comes with XP)? If you downloaded jscript.dll you may have inadvertantly gotten a wrong version. BTW, there is a KB article (KB917344) that would have "fixed" a problem - go to MS and search for it.

My version (in Win2k3, IE6SP1) is for KB917344 is 5.6.0.8831 and the original (pre-KB fix) was 5.6.0.8827. Maybe you can download that KB "fix" and re-install it.

If you already have IE7 installed, dunno if that will impact you, since I did not install it (I like IE6). If indeed you have IE7, try uninstalling it.

You could also try extracting the original out of the I386 folder of the original installation of XP(?). It goes in WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 (also WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DLLCACHE). You might have to do this in Safe Mode. If not Safe Mode, install the Recovery Console (you can find instructions all over for that) and use the Recovery Console when you boot-up to replace it in those folders. Wouldn't be a bad idea to re-install the KB "fix" either. Another way would be to Uninstall the KB "fix"; should be listed in the Add/Remove Programs (select "Show All" option at the top). If you have that "fix", it should restore the Original.

You should also uninstall Sun-Java then re-install it. Dunno if you have hosed your IE with the "fixes" you have described or not (I'm only as bright as a flashlight).

edit: just dl'd the image and can see what you have. Do a google on IEXPLORE.EXE, JSCRIPT.DLL, and the displayed version (in quotes). Scads of people having problems. Even one at the Sun website. You might find the correct fix. (could be a trojan)

HTH

Edited by submix8c

Problem solved! I just downloaded Windows Script 5.6 from here. After a reboot, the webiste loads fine now. I don't what Windows Script exactly did, but it's obviously a critical component of IE. Also, it seems Java was NOT even the issue in the first place.

Thanks all.

Right - javaSCRIPT was. Installing the Windows Script Host update would have replaced all scripting .dlls on the box with the 5.6 versions, which likely fixed the issue of a broken or mismatched .dll issue.