WIM images and AHCI/SATA drivers

All,

I've recently created a Vista WIM image for use across multiple machine types in my environment. The image installs correctly all machine types. However, after the image has come down on machines with SATA drives they blue screen during boot up and reboot over and over. If I switch the SATA mode in the BIOS from AHCI to ATA the machines are happy and work properly.

I am copying the SATA AHCI drivers into the C:\drivers folder, and I know that the sysprep process looks in that location during Windows setup because other devices are installed correctly. If I look in Device Manager all devices show up as properly installed. However, the drives are not running in AHCI mode and I can't seem to get them to switch into AHCI mode, even after Vista has been installed.

My question is "How can I get Vista to use the AHCI drivers during the Windows setup process?" WinPE sees the drives correctly even with the machine in AHCI mode, so I don't understand how it could suddenly not work after the image has come down and the Windows setup process has completed.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

-Chris

perhaps you need to inject the drivers instead of having them in a driver folder be my guess. plenty of posts in this forum on that.

With xp I have to (inject the XP way) my iaStor_ICH8R driver otherwise I have to do the F6 thing or it blue screens

I've had the same problem. Windows Vista BSOD while it is booting on its own for the first time and everytime after until I set SATA mode to ATA. Either you load a driver during setup (on the hard disk partitioning screen) or you add the driver to WinPE.

Look for more info on peimg.exe /inf in the Windows AIK documentation. You need the driver in the boot.wim, I guess, but I haven't had time to do it yet.

All,

I figured it out. As jdeboeck and maxXPsoft had surmised, injecting the drivers into the image was the way to go. Once I did this the machines running SATA drives automatically picked up the driver. I guess the C:\drivers path I was specifying in the Audit pass is too late for Windows setup to use (or is only a secondary location to the c:\windows\system\inf folder).

Thanks,

-Chris