Disk Imaging Software

IcemanND

bit for bit no, but an image that contains everything needed for a windows installation yes. bit for bit is a little extreme, thiat is normally reserved for forensics. Windows Imaging is a file based imaging method and allows you to mount the image as a folder on your machine for editing.

It is what is used for Vista, and can be used for XP. I have a guide available here: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=674778

Theres also Altiris Deployment solution which is very nice if you have the time to set it up

http://www.altiris.com/Products/DeploymentSolution.aspx

I remember Novells Zenworks doing imaging as well but i dont know if they still have that as a product

As for PING, if you need any info on it, I can provide feedback since i use it almost every day. Heres a quick pro/con list:

• Free
  • Images machines that are running DeepFreeze properly
  • can be used to make a restoreDVD from and image
  • No PXE drivers need to be installed -works with almost every card ive tried
  • FAST! Transfers at the full capacity of the network card everytime (10/100/1000)
  • i can image a machine by pxe booting, hit enter 2-3 times, select create new image, type file name, select compression, and wait.
  • runs its own dhcp server so all you need is the PING server and the machine you are imaging
  • Ive alway used i for windows to windows imaging but its supposed to be cross platform
  • Very lightweight. doesn't 'install' itself to windows. To move it from 1 machine to the next, just copy the folder

• Cannot multicast (can send to more than 1 machine but in different streams)
  • cannot take an image from 1 machine and directly copy it to another (has to be made into an image first)
  • 3com 905B cards wont PXE boot (905C will though)
  • By default, it grabs the CMOS settings and restores them to the target computer (Copies the Service Tag info from the Bios from 1 machine to the other on dells and gateways)

here's an interesting one, but it is a linux bootcd that runs a program designed specifically to backup c-drives on XP machines.

CDriveBack -- sourceforge project -- http://www.lccdigital.com/content/view/65/62/

PING sounds interesting -- will it "kiosk" an XP machine?

I'm using 98se happily now in a 733P3, but would like to move to new hardware. I am reluctant to move to XP until there was a way by which I can sector-by-sector restore my C-drive on every shutdown (from MBR to ORIGINAL swap file to the last slackspace). In my dream, a normal shutdown would (1) shutdown XP and reboot to a new os, then (2) run a restore image program on a minimal c-drive (c-drive has os and programs only), then (3) restore default boot to XP for next startup and then (4) turn off. An optional shutdown would make an new reference image, built after adding new software while not connected, with full awareness and knowledge of the machine's owner. Every startup would be absolutely identical, no matter how many personalities (unauthorized by me) have been fudging with my bits 'n ... while connected. I don't care about any of Bill Gate's illusory conveniences. Any data to be retained would be on other drives (which is not hard to do). If I can reboot the same everytime, thenI don't care what "other powers" want to do to my HDD while connected -- they can have at to their heart's delight. But when I go to sleep at night, I want to know that come morning, my machine starts off right.

Has anyone done this? Deep Freeze looks interesting, but it's my suspicion that they have back doors too, and if they were discovered, no one would ever know, nor would it be in their interest to announce it.

• 2 weeks later...
bit for bit no, but an image that contains everything needed for a windows installation yes. bit for bit is a little extreme, thiat is normally reserved for forensics. Windows Imaging is a file based imaging method and allows you to mount the image as a folder on your machine for editing.

It is what is used for Vista, and can be used for XP. I have a guide available here: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=674778

Thanks, but it sounds like utility software to me to save your files in case your computer crash.... I got myself from Western Digital "My book" and it has software to backup files.

So, loosing files is not my concert, time is! Cause when you’re stuck with a virus that eat up your energy and you decide to format and re-install everything ... From windows (reboot 3 times) to the patch (reboot a few time more) and don't forget the drivers (reboot .. reboot ... reboot) and all the other program and games (and patch that you have to find on the net). One simple click (ok ok maybe 2 or 3) is what I'm looking for. Ghost was doing that in less than 20 min compare to about 6 hr manually, but since I'm not a big fan of Symantec anymore, I'm looking for something else that could do the same thing.

Thank's for your reply, very appreciated !

• 1 month later...

Still working on this. It is slow going when you have other projects to work on at the same time. If someone wants to take on that challenge and send th list to me I will add that info to the first post.

• 4 weeks later...
Still working on this. It is slow going when you have other projects to work on at the same time. If someone wants to take on that challenge and send th list to me I will add that info to the first post.

I'll get you my take on Acronis Workstation Echo and Snap Deploy 2.0

Iceman, I updated your list with pricing info. If you want, just add this to your original post and snip it from this post.

Disk Imaging Products:

Disk Cloning Products:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i was just looking for the same thing on which imaging and backup software i should use for my OS's.i realy like to see the result of your project iceman.

there is a product coming with WD external drives called LigeAgent from memeo which i guess worth looking at too.