Disk Imaging Software

IcemanND

To my knowledge the only thing Ghost skips is the Pagefile and hibernation file.

using Imagex to capture a drive skips the following

\$ntfs.log

\hiberfil.sys

\pagefile.sys

"\System Volume Information"

\RECYCLER

\Windows\CSC

*.mp3

*.zip

*.cab

\WINDOWS\inf\*.pnf

As I have not used any other imaging software for more than testing I can't comment on the others.

• 4 weeks later...

does any one have any suggestions on how to image multiple computers quickly?

i was wondering if there was a way to store boot instructions on a DVD-RW that would boot into an imaging program and ideally automatically back up c: and store it on the same DVD??

i'm just thinking of an office environment, using HDD imaging software to take a backup of user data, as well as programs and settings which i guess isn't as important. i have been looking in to ghostcast today. it would be good to take an image of each computer over the Christmas break surely there's something out there that can be deployed easily to back up all computers on the network to a single location and have it sorted by computer name. at this stage i'm pretty sure ghostcast will do it might still be a bit messy tho.

do you know of anything else i should look at?

HP Rapid Deploy would be another option as would Symantec's Backup Exec System Recovery, the next iteration of Livestate Recovery. See manufacturer's websites for details and pricing information.

• 2 weeks later...

And few words more about Acronis.

Today i was on their site, checking for smth new...and i found christmas discounts, it was not so easy but interesting. To see this offers you should put the cursor on snowflake, but it is not on each snowflake. You will need to find the right one))) very funny idea.

I've found 5% and 10% discounts :thumbup

Just so everyone knows, i have tried PING and it is fantastic. I have imaged and restored my server 2008 box, an XP laptop and a vista Desktop - all flawless. Its easy to setup and easy to use. I would recommend it to anyone here :)

• 3 weeks later...
To my knowledge the only thing Ghost skips is the Pagefile and hibernation file.

using Imagex to capture a drive skips the following

\$ntfs.log

\hiberfil.sys

\pagefile.sys

"\System Volume Information"

\RECYCLER

\Windows\CSC

*.mp3

*.zip

*.cab

\WINDOWS\inf\*.pnf

ImageX does not skip *.mp3, *.zip and *.cab.

It excludes *.mp3, *.zip, and *.cab from compressing them, thus saving time, but they are included in the image UNLESS YOU SPECIFY TO SKIP THEM.

It wouldn't be wise to skip *.cab as drivers might be in those files.

• 1 month later...

Terabyte's Image for DOS (and for Linux too) does batch file image Restores. Unattended. It can read and write images to and from NTFS systems.

It's the only one I found that doesn't require some kind of user intervention for a restore operation. Nice job, Terabyte!

Automatic restore allows me to insert bootable media, and then log off with a reboot. With a simple batch, this should restore the boot drive image. (restoring hybernation and swap files are optional, along with MBR, EMBRs, etc.) After restore operation, the DOS batch then shuts down the computer. Next time it's turned on, it's pristine -- without preservation of Microsoft's property on my HDD, namely M$'s arrays of Index.dats, IndexMyHDDforFREE.dats, Echelon.dats, Pentagon.dats, etc.

typographic care is obviously required, since the batch restore will automatically restore, hopefully to the boot drive (and not to a data drive - lol). Images can be in TB range -- I forget right now. Image for DOS can build an image from and restore to an NTFS drives, and it can write an image file to, and read it from an NTFS, FAT, or Linux drive.

I haven't done it yet (so this is theoretical), but am planning to use this on my w2k internet computer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...