How to slipstream acrobat 8.1 update ?

larciel

• 1 month later...

1. made my MST file by using the "copy package" option with the Adobe Customization Wizard
  2. I then left that package alone, as the original
  3. Then I created an AIP using this command
    msiexec /a acropro.msi transforms=mymstname.mst
  4. I then updated the AIP according to the instructions found here, applying both the 8.1.0 then the 8.1.1 patches
    msiexec /a <path to the acropromsi file in the aip location> /p AcrobatUpd810_efgj_incr.msp
  5. Then I copied setup.exe, setup.ini & my MST file into the new, updated AIP, & changed the settings accordingly

I now have two directories on the network: one for the original package that came off of the 8.0 CD plus its MST, and another for the updated AIP with its MST. I keep the original because of updating issues I'd experienced with 7.x in the past. I can run setup over the network unattended using a batch file no prob.

Woah. OK, all of my above steps worked just dandy for the test installation over the network to my box, but then I got to the e-License bit. wtf? I also read that Adobe's now ditched the e-License thing? I'm reading some methods to get all of this done automagically w/o user involvement, but I'm wondering if anyone's used any of these methods ("Notes" section) sucessfully? The one that looks like it may work best to me is the note from JTMan33... Anyone else had any success?

As per this thread, I am trying to slipstream the 8.1 and 8.1.1 Acrobat Professional updates into the Arobat 8.0 Professional base file. However, I have tried time and time again to transform AcroPro.msi to AcroPro.mst, and each and every time it fails.

Here is the command I use:

msiexec /a AcroPro.msi transforms=AcroPro.mst

This is the error I keep getting EVERY SINGLE TIME:

"Error Applying Transforms. Verify that the specified transform paths are valid."

I am always in the proper directory where the .msi is located.

Grrr...why does it have to be so hard to sllipstream Acrobat 8.0 updates to get a nice clean install.

Anyone have any suggestions how to actually get this to work?

Edited by radigast

Not sure if this helps, but when I did the AIP, my MST had already been created via the copy package command in the customization wizard. I also placed the AIP into a different directory than the MST file (e:\acro_pro_8\mymstname.mst, then e:\acro_pro_8\AcrobatPro8wupdates for the AIP dir).

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a comment using google search which came to this site. THe author said that Adobe's instructions are

in the wrong order.

http://www.acrobatusers.com/forums/ask_an_...ions/view/2689/

In general, here's the sequence of command line arguments: 
Install the base msi to Admin install point:
msiexec /a acropro.msi TRANSFORMS=acropro.mst

Extract the msp from the patch files
Copy the transform and patch files to the install point

Install the patches to the Admin install point:
msiexec /a acropro.msi /p Ac705PrP_efgj.msp
msiexec /a acropro.msi /p Acro707.msp
msiexec /a acropro.msi /p Acro708.msp
msiexec /a acropro.msi /p Acro709.msp

Run the installation on a worskstation
msiexec /i \acropro.msi TRANSFORMS=acropro.mst

Don't forget to use InstallShield Tuner / Customization Wizard to set your serial number and other, sundry, options.

My question is that now that the patch is integrated on an Install Point, how do I take this install point

and roll it up back into a MSI file or exe file?

• 3 months later...
  1. made my MST file by using the "copy package" option with the Adobe Customization Wizard
  2. I then left that package alone, as the original
  3. Then I created an AIP using this command
    msiexec /a acropro.msi transforms=mymstname.mst
  4. I then updated the AIP according to the instructions found here, applying both the 8.1.0 then the 8.1.1 patches
    msiexec /a <path to the acropromsi file in the aip location> /p AcrobatUpd810_efgj_incr.msp
  5. Then I copied setup.exe, setup.ini & my MST file into the new, updated AIP, & changed the settings accordingly

I now have two directories on the network: one for the original package that came off of the 8.0 CD plus its MST, and another for the updated AIP with its MST. I keep the original because of updating issues I'd experienced with 7.x in the past. I can run setup over the network unattended using a batch file no prob.

I've done all this and it does work, but the package has grown from 400MB to 800MB, being that I'm pushing this out to 350 users Im trying to keep this as small as possible. Is there a way to recreate the Data1.cab file and allow the msi to read it ok, instead of having this uncompressed AIP. I recreated the cab using makecab but the msi cant find the files within the cab so fails. Any help appreciated. (using Acrobat 8 Pro)

Edited by Youngy