Is the X64 Edition worth it?

atari37

So a non profit organization my wife works with needs a computer so I volunteered to build them a free PC. I bought the AMD 64 X2 4600+ and 2 GIG RAM, etc.

After I put the system together, I remembered that I had a copy of Windows XP X64 Edition I've never used. I'm thinking about installing this on the PC but am I asking for trouble? How good is the third party support for this version? Will I have to deal with not being able to find drivers and software that can run on this machine? I also have the X32 version but wouldn't the processor power be a waste if I don't use the X64 edition?

I've put together a lot of PC's but I've never had to deal with 64 bit Architecture.

use the 64bit! it is much much better than the 32bit. you should'nt have a problem with drivers as it has been out for quite a while now. almost all 32bit programs will work with it, its really only those obscure programs that don't work with it.

From past experience, I'm going to be the voice of dissent here.

Let's keep in mind you're building this computer for a nonprofit. I would guess that several different people will be using this computer on a regular basis, with varied degrees of computer knowledge.

This is one of those areas where the KISS principle really applies - you'll want to make this system as indistinguishable as possible from something these people may have in their homes, unless you're going to be around for assistance. Basic install, no Firefox, no Thunderbird, no OpenOffice, etc. Simple but effective antivirus that automatically scans, updates, and cleans with minimal interaction.

Along those lines, I think x64 is probably still too new to use in this type of setup - I'd stick with 32-bit. The processing power isn't what's important about this machine - the average user being able to turn it on and have it work is.

Of course, YMMV - especially if you'll be available to maintain this system or somebody who will be using it is remotely techno-savvy.

Well, I tried to do this with the x64 edition and the installation went well. However, right after the installation I pop in the motherboard software and I get a big "Not supported OS", so I went ahead and downgraded to the x32 version. Too bad I can't take advantage of the x64 architecture.