Any way to slipstream .NET Framework v2.0 into custom CD w. nLite?

Kelly Keyboard

Topic title.

Is it possible to integrate .NET Framework v2.0 into a custom Win XP SP2 cd using nLite?

I would like to do it (hopefully) by adding an .exe or .cab file into the integrate hotfixes section of nLite (just like you would for Windows critical updates)...but everytime I've tried (using the re-dist version from MS, RyanVM's dotnet2.exe), nLite says it is not a valid hotfix.

Is there anyway to do this w/o having to use a program like HFSLIP?

Kelly Keyboard

• 1 month later...
Topic title.

Is it possible to integrate .NET Framework v2.0 into a custom Win XP SP2 cd using nLite?

I would like to do it (hopefully) by adding an .exe or .cab file into the integrate hotfixes section of nLite (just like you would for Windows critical updates)...but everytime I've tried (using the re-dist version from MS, RyanVM's dotnet2.exe), nLite says it is not a valid hotfix.

Is there anyway to do this w/o having to use a program like HFSLIP?

Kelly Keyboard

Had the same problem but This worked for me . I renamed it with Caps eg:1_DOTNET20.EXE and dropped it into the svcpack folder. Now went to the SVCPACK.IN_ and expanded it and added under hotfixes 1_Dotnet20.exe and save and recab .

Note I put my Net 2 a few lines down from Net 1.1 as they seemed to run into each other.

This method worked for Adobe Shockwave aswell.

Found some neat tool :eXPander.exe for expanding cab files and CompressionBin.exe By JCarle to cab the files again.

Hope this helps

• 1 year later...

Don't want to sound stupid, but when you expanded SVCPACK.IN_ did you mean the file that is in the i386 folder by that name? If so, I used "universal extractor" to expand that file and the file is a .dll

Can you be more specific about what you mean when you say you expanded SVCPACK.IN_ to add the dotnet stuff and how/where you did that?

I'd really like to try this to see if I can actually get the dotnet stuff to integrate so I don't have to have them in the runonce. I've tried the RyanVM packs and can never get them to integrate correctly.

elance, are you saying that you expanded the SVCPACK.IN_ and got a .dll out of it? Where did you get the SVCPACK.IN_? You should get a SVCPACK.INF file. the name with the underscore is just the compressed version of the file with the last character changed to an _. If you were to compress a .dll file, then rename the result file to SVCPACK.IN_, when it was expanded, the .dll will come back. I use 7-Zip to expand a file like this and the makecab command (at the command prompt) to make the compressed file. There are many compressor/decompresser programs that will expand the file including the expand command, again at the command prompt. The expand and makecab commands are explained via Help and Support. You should understand that placing an installer or hot fix in the SVCPACK does not integrate it. It simply causes Setup (Windows Install) to execute the file during installation at T-13. I do not use .NET AddOns, but I suspect that RyanVM has good ones. I should also point out that there are two different kinds of AddOns. One, called Real or True or Slipstream will integrate at nLite time, the other called .inf will do it via SVCPACK at T-13. Enjoy, John.

John,

I got the SVCPACK.IN_ in the i386 folder from the source. I used "Universal Expander" to expand it (I was looking for and downloading/trying a few expanders), but yes, when I expanded it what I got was SVCPACK.dll

I've tried the ryanvm packs and can't get them to work. I've tried practically every "do this to integrate dotnet" posts I've found and nothing has worked.

Speaking of expanders, I found a link to Xpero's eXPander in his post, however it appears the file is no longer there (404 error). Looking in the downloads folder on his page, it is definitely not there. Anyone know where I can get eXPander?

I already have jcarle's Compressionbin.

Edited by elance

elance, I strongly recommend 7-Zip. It will extract/expand almost any compressed file and probably does a superior job of compressing files (but not XX_ and .cab files) than almost all others. I stay away from all the free DLs until I understand them and 7-Zip and RAR are well known and trusted. I know nothing about the others. Makecab (Microsoft) does just fine making XX_ compressed files, possibly not as well compressed as some. jcarle's stuff is probably fine. He can be found here.

There is an SVCPACK.DL_, so I suspect you expanded the wrong file. Enjoy, John.