How acces windows 2003 server share from Windows 98

vozice_09

Please help me. In our network we have new W2k3 server with few shared directories (stations works without logging into domain). WXP and W2K are ok, but from windows 98 SE nSP I cant acces shared disks. I try install DSclient, upgrade root cerfiticates, enable NTLM2,... but still cant acces share... On server I have user with the same username and password as at w98 station...

over a network it doesnt matter
Thanks for the info.
share directories are accesible from windows XP and 2K... its not problem on server... but on windows 98
Can your server see Win98 shared disk? If you don't have any, can you share a disk temporarily to try this way round?

share directories are accesible from windows XP and 2K... its not problem on server... but on windows 98 Can your server see Win98 shared disk? If you don't have any, can you share a disk temporarily to try this way round?

yes... shared directory on W98 is visible and accessible from w2k3 server...

from w98 I can access to shared disks from other stations (wxp)

how are you looking fo rthe shares?

i mean if you do;

start | run

\\<server ip address>\<share name>

does it ask for your username & password?

if yes enter as domainname\username then password

can you ping the server name in dos as both IP & NetBIOS name?

what happens? on both counts

how are you looking fo rthe shares?

i mean if you do;

start | run

\\<server ip address>\<share name>

does it ask for your username & password?

if yes enter as domainname\username then password

can you ping the server name in dos as both IP & NetBIOS name?

what happens? on both counts

ping to IP - OK

ping to name - OK

\\server\shared_directory -> get normal dialog with Password (w98 ask for password only - its standard) -> after inserting correct password -> error (expanded error,...)

I see server in Network places

I use all method described by microsoft (enable ntlm2 on w98, install directory services client, enable wins,...) but still no success. Maybe I try clean w98 install without neoficial SP...

is the 98PC added to the domain, (so you can see domain name at logon)? if not, can you install the ad bi so that it attaches to domain?

been a while, but i thought it asked for username & password for authentication?

is the 98PC added to the domain, (so you can see domain name at logon)? if not, can you install the ad bi so that it attaches to domain?

been a while, but i thought it asked for username & password for authentication?

no.. w98 isnt added into domain... we use this server only for file sharing... stations dont loging into domain (please not ask why we have this system :-)

• 2 weeks later...

i just ran the Network Setup Wizard on the win 2003 server, i enabled file sharing and after that any workstation with win9x, 2000, xp or linux(with samba) was able to acces the shared resources....

there was no need to create new user accounts, i just kept the names of the shared resources under 12 characters in order to keep them compatible with all the win9x workstations....that was all i did for my network.....

Edited by amocanu