WPI error with MS FrontPage 2003

Spoke too soon. Happened on another model. These installs have no reboots, just straight installs. What's weird is if I leave certain applications off of the list it will work, and those applications will all install together fine, but when I try to do all of them at once I get the error.

*screen shots and logs to follow

Edited by eickst

The run another one and select several random appps BUT NOT frontpage and tell me if it comes up with either.

I've already tried without frontpage, and the error message doesn't come up.. will try with just frontpage, on a REAL MACHINE... :)

Are either of you nLite-ing your installs???

No. I use RyanVM but no nLite. I don't even use the WPI feature in RyanVM. I simply use WPI independently as a 'techy tool' to help with client computers that need basic appz

I use Ryan VM but not the integrated plugin for it, I use WPI as a standalone app.

I would also like to point out, that for my installation purposes (if you look at my config), I normally select a configuration that installs all the base apps, and then add from the IBM or Dell category to add those brand specific software packages. I can install the base install, and can install all the ibm apps, but when I try to do both together is when I get the error.

*Also, to add, I am not using the "RunWPI.exe" from runonce. I am using an install over a network share. The cmd file maps a drive, runs WPI from that drive and the config file has static drive letters as opposed to path variables. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Edited by eickst

Tried with just FrontPage and, as can be expected, did not produce that error message. Tried without PowerShell and .NET 3.0 after FrontPage, the error message comes up after a few installs in PDF Redirect.. Is there a way to just turn off that message?

I think you can turn the message off, but the problem for me is that the installs no longer continue after the error message.

*Just as an update, I have narrowed my offending application to the IBM Record Now section. I can install everything fine without it, but as soon as I add this it borks the setup.

Here is the config for it. What I am thinking is that because of the REBOOT in the command line switches it may be causing a problem, but I am not sure.

prog[pn]=['IBM Record Now!'];
ordr[pn]=[670];
desc[pn]=['Record Now optical burning software for IBM Thinkpads.'];
uid[pn]=['IBMRECORDNOW'];
dflt[pn]=['no'];
cat[pn]=['IBM Applications'];
forc[pn]=['no'];
cmd1[pn]=['T:\\Install\\IBMAPPS\\recnow\\SETUP.EXE /qn REBOOT=S'];
pn++;

Edited by eickst

I think you can turn the message off, but the problem for me is that the installs no longer continue after the error message.

*Just as an update, I have narrowed my offending application to the IBM Record Now section. I can install everything fine without it, but as soon as I add this it borks the setup.

Here is the config for it. What I am thinking is that because of the REBOOT in the command line switches it may be causing a problem, but I am not sure.

prog[pn]=['IBM Record Now!'];
ordr[pn]=[670];
desc[pn]=['Record Now optical burning software for IBM Thinkpads.'];
uid[pn]=['IBMRECORDNOW'];
dflt[pn]=['no'];
cat[pn]=['IBM Applications'];
forc[pn]=['no'];
cmd1[pn]=['T:\\Install\\IBMAPPS\\recnow\\SETUP.EXE /qn REBOOT=S'];
pn++;

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm might be worth looking into. It might be partially reading the reboot command and getting confused.

Tomorrow I'll try taking that part of the command out and seeing if it does the same error. The weird thing is I have other programs with REBOOT in the command line and they don't cause the issue.

Ok, quick update. I took the "REBOOT=S" out of the IBM Record Now config, and it kept going! Except for the part where the IBM record now setup rebooted the machine in the middle of the next install...

So, is there a way to fix this? I don't use the reboot command, is there a way to tell the installer to not parse the reboot commands at all?

*Update* I managed to find a workaround, instead of using IBMs SETUP.EXE wrapper I went and straight used the msi for the program. The switch is /norestart instead of REBOOT=S and it had no problems with that.

So problem solved for me, hopefully that sheds some light on other installs with similar problems. Maybe in the next version we can change the reboot command to reeboot or rebooot so that it doesn't get parsed like that again.

Oh well, I'm happy!

Edited by eickst

On my end, I think my FrontPage 2003 installation is leaving 'traces' that conflict with some installation, which in my case are, PowerShell, .NET 3.0, and PrimoPDF. If I remove FrontPage 2003, everything went smooth. Can somebody tell me how to simply bypass that error message. I used to be able to install everything without problems.. thanks!