PC keeps restarting

indianarchie

Software will NOT cause hardware resets on NT based OSes (2000, XP, Vista, 2003). Drivers may, but software cannot. Though some software includes device level drivers (like some firewalls).

The problem is very clearly hardware related and very likely caused by very high CPU temperatures. I'd bet the rooster's egg that the CPU heatsink is clogged with dust.

Have been talking to 3 different comp engineers over the last few days, but NONE of them has come over to fix the prb. Getting so frustrated!

And I do open and clean up the PC case regularly, so as far as dust goes, there is not much dust in it, apart from what I would classify as the usual amount found in any PC.

@Jcarle: About dust on the CPU heatsink, I dont know how to check that. Do i need to remove the CPU fan and then check under it? I dont have enough confidence/knowledge to remove the CPU fan for fear of damaging the processor. The hardware engineers whom I spoke to all promised to come and check it out but none have come so far :(

@RJARRRPCGP: I am not playing any processor intensive games, not do i run any such application.

@Jcarle: About dust on the CPU heatsink, I dont know how to check that. Do i need to remove the CPU fan and then check under it? I dont have enough confidence/knowledge to remove the CPU fan for fear of damaging the processor. The hardware engineers whom I spoke to all promised to come and check it out but none have come so far :(

Simply stopping your PC and visually inspecting the CPU fan is enough to determine if there is dust collection there. If you can't see the CPU through the fan because it's blocked with dust, that's a problem.