PC keeps restarting

indianarchie

Hi,

This is my config:

P4 3.0 Ghz

Asus P5RD2-VM mobo

Transcend 512 MB DDR2 @ 533 Mhz (single stick)

Nvidia Geforce 6600 256 MB

80 GB IDE HDD

80 GB Sata HDD

Windows XP SP2

Since the past month, my PC keps restarting. Sometimes it boots till the login screen, then restarts. At other times it restarts while loading itself. Yet other times, it lets me log into Windows XP, and works for a few minutes before restarting. I dont know what is causing the problem. I have not had problems with the RAM since I bought the PC in Nov 05, could that be the problem? Earlier there was a problem where the PC refused to start at all. In this case, it suddenly restarted after 10 days. Also, I stay near the sea and since it is monsoon, could it be caused by moisture? Would you recommend buying a 1 GB RAM stick (same brand/speed) and put it alongside the 512MB one for 1.5 GB memory? What do you feel?

Forgot to mention: sometimes while restarting it gives messages like Overclocking failed! press F1 to run setup/Press F2 to load default values and continue.

I have not tried any overclocking or other modifications.

Edited by indianarchie

Try this first before we can determine what is the exact cause, :-

1. Go to START-RUN

2. Key in " msconfig " without the quotes.

3. go to STARTUP tab, then UNCHECK all the tick from the box.

4. restart the pc, see if its still freezes upon booting.

I dont think its a RAM problem, as if its a RAM problem then you sure will hear beeping sound before your computer boots up.

sounds like a hardware issue of some sort. try this: leave the pc off for a little while to fully cool to room temperature, then turn it on and go into the bios and right down the initial temperatures, leave it on just that and see if it reboots itself, which if it does turn it on again and immediately record the temperatures. I don't think it's a software problem and I would advise against what nemesis suggests (no offense) because it will cause other problems.

There are several things which could be going on here. First, I've seen dodgy RAM many times cause problems which weren't immediately visible or obvious, so yes, it could be a RAM problem. Last December I had to have Corsair replace two modules which began to show errors after three years of stellar service. I was experiencing some of the same symptoms you describe.

Definitely check your RAM with memtest or similar. Adding 1GB of RAM will certainly make your system feel better, but 512 MB is adequate for most things. With the cost of RAM much better at the moment it might be a good idea. You also might consider getting two 512 modules so you can run in dual channel mode (if your board supports it).

I recently installed a version of ZoneAlarm for a friend on a brand new Dual Core machine running XP Pro. Guess what the machine started to do? It started to reboot just as you describe. Most annoying. I solved it by removing Zone Alarm Pro 7 and telling ZA they'd lost a customer (not that they care).

So, that behaviour could be cuased by RAM that is going bad, any installed software that conflicts at a basic level like firewall software, or another program or service that starts when Windows starts which now conflicts somehow (that's why nemesis19 suggested turning off all startup progs in msconfig). You robably don't want to turn off all startup progs and services, but many are unnecessary llike java's update service, adobe's always resident junk, Nero's drive check, and stuff like that, so turn that stuff off anyway. Leave essential services, though.

Do you notice a blue screen when it restarts?

Could be any of the above but could also be a failing PSU. Have you tried swapping it with another one?

You also might want to try resetting your CMOS. There's usually a small jumper right next to the CMOS battery on the motherboard that you can use to short two pins. Alternatively, you can also remove the CMOS battery for a good 15-30 minutes and then put it back in.

@ gamehead: I did notice a blue screen on a couple of occasions, however it restarted too fast for me to read anything, and again, it doesnt happen always. Had tried removing and reinserting the CMOS earlier, but it didnt help. I dont have access to a different PSU unfortunately.

@dondamm: I havent installed any major software recently. Most of it is what I am running since I bought the PC.

I'll definitely try Memtest if its freeware.

@DigeratiPrime: My PC restarted and I took down the temps at tht point: Mobo: 44 deg C, CPU 78 deg C. This has been more or less constant since before so not sure if it could be the cause. Neverthess, I am definitely open to advice!

@Nemesis: I'll try it if nothing else works out! I still feel its more of a hardware problem though.

I just had a look at the event viewer after yet another restart and I found a bunch of these entries under 'System'...

Type: ERROR

Source: BTHUSB

Category: None

Event ID: 5

Description: The driver expected an HCI event with a given size but did not receive it. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Apart from the ERROR messages, there are a few WARNING messages too:

Type: Warning

Source: BTHUSB

Category: None

Event ID: 3

Description: A command sent to the radio has timed out; the radio did not respond.

I guess the messages have something to do with bluetooth. I use an IVT bluetooth dongle with the Microsoft stack, both of which have served me well for a coupls of years atleast.

Not sure at all if it could be causing the problem, but thought I should mention it.

Also, I downloaded the Memtest ISO (in a zip file) from their website. It contains two seperate archives called 'memtest.iso'. Each of these contain a folder called BOOT, under which there are 2 files, 'MEMTEST.IMG' and 'BOOT.CAT'. I know I am supposed to burn memtest to a CD, but what exactly do I burn here, and how do I use memtest after burning?

I appreciate all the help so far guys!

Edit: Removed the bluetooth dongle, but it didnt help. PC still restarts like before.

Edited by indianarchie

@DigeratiPrime: My PC restarted and I took down the temps at tht point: Mobo: 44 deg C, CPU 78 deg C. This has been more or less constant since before so not sure if it could be the cause. Neverthess, I am definitely open to advice!

These temps are really high. Not high enough to be lethal at first but certainly not good on the long run.

If it has been like this since nov. 05 than it could be the cause of the problem. Are these readings correct? Open your system and feel if the cpu-cooler is really this hot. If everthing inside looks really dusty some cleaning would be good :).

Check the fans, see if they still run properly. Install a (extra) casefan. You have a cooling problem, no matter what else is wrong (if).

Could be any of the above but could also be a failing PSU. Have you tried swapping it with another one?

I was also going to suggest this. Faulty PSUs often don't tell us when they're on the verge of dying.

On the other hand - those temperatures are far too high! Try re-seating your heatsink and make sure you're not using too much thermal paste.

Forget about the RAM right now people - there's other things that are far more important (like temperatures). After we've got the cooling situation down, then he can test his RAM if he wants. Like noguru said, the restarts are due to overheating.

There are several things which could be going on here. First, I've seen dodgy RAM many times cause problems which weren't immediately visible or obvious, so yes, it could be a RAM problem.

I disagree, somewhat. RAM problems usually are obvious!

While the processor not having enough Vcore or insufficient cooling often isn't obvious and most people may not notice a thing, Joe Sixpack won't notice a thing until someone hollers about the PC acting up when he or she

is playing Doom III or GTA San Andreas.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP