64bit problem

dcyphure

with 64bit ultimate, my control panel quits working, on 2 different standard installs and 1 vlited install i encounter the same problem within the first day

i click cp and nothing, i reboot i may see a blank window open, after several reboots it sometimes comes back then may quit again a reboot later

heres the other odd part...everything within CP doesnt even show up on search, i cant even direct access things like folder or mouse options

each install was formatted, as far as drivers i only have to install 2, video and audio and i already updated those with my last install

atm clicking on CP a blank box pops up and disappears...what could possibly cause this?

i changed to a different video driver, cant really tell how it could be driver related but every other window opens fine, i dont understand what it is thats changing on reboot that causes it to work or not work?

anyone?

..and your pc specs are...
..and your pc specs are...

core2 duo e6600

2 gb corsair dominator ddr2

thermaltake 750watt psu

nvidia 7900gt

asus p5b deluxe mobo

300 gb maxtor drive

plextar sata dl dvd

just pc gazelle case

saitek 990 pad

nostromo speedpad 2

rosewill keyboard

x-fi platinum sound card

creative labs 5.1

"unkown" brand diskette drive

samsung 19" lcd

really like some help cause this is the only problem aside from dreamscene but is quite a hinderance compared the all the various little problems with 32bit version

i cant even find windows update, cant use system device manager...nothing thats in CP...usually before it would come back after a couple reboots but hasnt so far this time. it literally happens on the same day i fresh install it.

is there any registry keys associated to it i can check?

Hmmm - perhaps you could configure the box for a complete dump, reboot, and then generate the dump while the control panel is hung. However, the control panel is just launched under explorer.exe, so it could be something that you have installed with an explorer hook (you can disable these with ShellExView from nirsoft.net).

Hmmm - perhaps you could configure the box for a complete dump, reboot, and then generate the dump while the control panel is hung. However, the control panel is just launched under explorer.exe, so it could be something that you have installed with an explorer hook (you can disable these with ShellExView from nirsoft.net).

thanks i'll give a try

funny last reboot last night it worked fine and not today its not, but i really havnt much installed, mostly codecs/alzip/objectdock and a couple of games.

ok shellexview is showing me a huge list of files, most of which is from microsoft, i see 2 labled control panel, both say same info when double clicked.

i dont quite get it yet, what do i do with this app?

this is what CP says when i double click in shellview

Created by using ShellExView

Extension Name Disabled Type Description Version Product Name Company My Computer Desktop Control Panel Filename CLSID File Created Time CLSID Modified Time Microsoft File Extensions File Attributes File Size

Control Panel No Shell Folder Windows Shell Common Dll 6.0.6000.16386 (vista_rtm.061101-2205) Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Microsoft Corporation No Yes No C:\Windows\system32\shell32.dll {21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D} 11/2/2006 8:13:58 AM 11/2/2006 11:28:17 AM Yes A 11,314,688

In shellexview you're looking for non-Microsoft or blank items - if it's not Microsoft, disable them. Reboot and see what happens.

i only have 3 thats not microsoft, all are Alzip...a zip program

i'll give try

no that wasnt it.

not sure what to try now except revert back to 32 bit and suffer the occasional driver bsod and other small nuiances

Edited by dcyphure

If you use Realtek sound chip drivers uninstall it and try then or upgrade it to the latest.

These old drivers were one of the reasons why people had broken Control Panel, yours could be something different though.