Source Files Already Have SP2

I have now had two tries at creating an unattended install disc - both fail with "Cannot boot from disc -Code 4" message.

I am using manual methods all the way through, with the automated batch file method for installing the hotfixes. Everything appears to go well until I test the CD at the end.

The CD I'm using to create the source files already has SP2 integrated. Does that mean I should omit the slipstreaming of SP2 step and go straight to the hotfixes? I've still been doing the SP2 step.

Regards,

Malcolm

omit the sp2 slipstreaming. If i were you i would add small amounts of functionality at a time, then test in a virtual machine like virtual box. This way you can test each part of the unattended install as it is intergtrated.

I was having alot of trouble with my unattended, and rebuilt yesterday like above. I found one error i was recieving came from an add-on pack used with ryanvm integrator, then after i omitted this addon i found an error with my registry tweaks file (to do with file shortcuts). But by doing all the steps in one go its impossible to find the flaws (i make a copy of the source foder, then add more functionality. if it works this becomes the new source directory and i add more functionality to a copy of it. This process goes on until i have everything working correctly).

My "latest" effort has also failed to boot, with the same error message,

Does anyone know what the Code 4 error is?

My WINNT.SIF file follows:-

;SetupMgrTag

[Data]

AutoPartition=0

MsDosInitiated="0"

UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[unattended]

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

OemSkipEula=Yes

OemPreinstall=No

TargetPath=\WINDOWS

FileSystem=*

[GuiUnattended]

AdminPassword="fofa"

EncryptedAdminPassword=NO

OEMSkipRegional=1

OemSkipWelcome=1

[userData]

ProductKey=*****-*****-*****-*****

FullName="Su & Dad"

OrgName="boystoys"

ComputerName=sudad

[TapiLocation]

CountryCode=61

Dialing=Tone

AreaCode=08

[RegionalSettings]

LanguageGroup=1

SystemLocale=00000c09

UserLocale=00000c09

InputLocale=0c09:00000409

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

Thanks for your consideration of this!

Malcolm

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian
Removed PID

Hi Malcolm - Are you using Nero to burn your Unattended ISO? When burning with Nero go to expert boot settings make sure you set the following:

Kind of emulation - no emulation
Load segment of sectors(hex) - 07c0
Number of load sectors - 4

Code 4 (Invalid/Boot) occurs when these settings are incorrect.

Personally I use UltraISO to copy the Boot info from a master XP CD and create a bootable ISO for my unattended.

Suffice to say there appears little wrong with your WINNT.SIF - just check the method of producing your CD.

Well, progress - I think!

I created an unattended using UltraISO. This did give me a CD that booted OK. However, now a new problem: the unattended installation wouldn't complete.

It copied files OK, gave me the partition/formatting page which I wanted (so now I'm using my backup cloned partition(!!!), loaded files OK and got to the startup screens going through the memory checks and detecting devices and the WindowsXP splash screen, does a restart & then gives an error message which was very hard to read as it was displayed very briefly.

Then it was a loop situation - it'd reboot and come up with the error message again and was happy to keep doing this forever!

It must've looped a dozen times or more as I needed many displays to be able to read the error message which follows here:-

"Not enough virtual memory or paging file quota is available for the requested operation" or similar.

So, re my next step: should I try the differences mentioned by blackmodder (about burning the boot CD mostly) or is there something more fundamental going wrong re memory??

KInd regards,

Malcolm

Try another installation - this time remove the hotfixes so you are just creating an unattended SP2 XP install and see if that makes it through to the end. If that succeeds - then its your hotfixes! Usual suspects are the IE6 rollups as they can 'overlap' - RyanVM has a great site which will itemise the current hotfixes and which have been superceded and should not be installed prior to later ones.

Good Luck!

I don't have a source that is just XP without SP2.

I guess I'd still be testing the effect of the absence of the hotfixes if I do an unattended install like this:-

* copy whole CD to HDD

* compose a WINNT.SIF file (it'd be a simple one, wouldn't it?)

& place it in the i386 folder

* burn the CD

Would this show anything? I suppose I'd just be testing the answer file?

Thanks!

Malcolm