About Installing Multiplu Extensions Unattently with Firefox 2.0

gugutz

i saw somewhere that, to install a extension with firefox, i just had to use this:

Firefox.exe -install-global-extension "name-of-extension.xpi"
anyways, i downloaded Ff 2.0 RC 3 and prepared it to silently install in my XP cd, with the extensions, many of them. here is what i tried:
REG ADD %KEY% /V TITLE /D "Instalando Firefox, Plugins e Extensoes" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\001 /VE /D "Firefox 2.0 Release Candidate 3" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\001 /V 1 /D "\"%systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\Firefox Setup 2.0 RC 3.exe\" -ms -ira -SetDefaultBrowser" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /VE /D "Instalando gugutz Firefox profile" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\005 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\gugutz.ff.profile.exe /s" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /VE /D "Flash Plugin" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\Plugins\FirefoxFlashPlugin.exe" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\015 /VE /D "Shockwave Plugin" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\015 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\Plugins\firefoxshockwaveplugin.exe" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\020 /VE /D "Ctrl+Tab Preview 0.2" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\020 /V 1 /D "\"%systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\Firefox Setup 2.0 RC 3.exe\" -install-global-extension "%systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\extensoes_preferidas\ctrl_tab_preview-0.2-fx.xpi" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\025 /VE /D "Cute Menus Crystal SVG 1.2.6" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\025 /V 1 /D "\"%systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\Firefox Setup 2.0 RC 3.exe\" -install-global-extension "%systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\extensoes_preferidas\cutemenus_-_crystal_svg-1.2.6-fx+fl+ns+nv+sb+tb.xpi" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\030 /VE /D "Download Statusbar 0.9.4.1" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\030 /V 1 /D "\"%systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\Firefox Setup 2.0 RC 3.exe\" -install-global-extension "%systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\extensoes_preferidas\download_statusbar-0.9.4.1-fx.xpi" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\035 /VE /D "Extension Manager Extended 2.5" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\035 /V 1 /D "\"%systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\Firefox Setup 2.0 RC 3.exe\" -install-global-extension "%systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\extensoes_preferidas\extension_manager_extended-2.5-fx+tb.xpi" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\040 /VE /D "FasterFox 1.0.3" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\040 /V 1 /D "\"%systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\Firefox Setup 2.0 RC 3.exe\" -install-global-extension "%systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\extensoes_preferidas\fasterfox-1.0.3-fx.xpi" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\045 /VE /D "Firefox Menu Buttons 1.5.3" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\045 /V 1 /D "\"%systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\Firefox Setup 2.0 RC 3.exe\" -install-global-extension "%systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\extensoes_preferidas\firefoxmenubuttons-1.5.3-fx.xpi" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\050 /VE /D "Fire FTP 0.94.4" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\050 /V 1 /D "\"%systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\Firefox Setup 2.0 RC 3.exe\" -install-global-extension "%systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\extensoes_preferidas\fireftp-0.94.4-fx.xpi" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\055 /VE /D "Flashgot 0.5.96.060910" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\055 /V 1 /D "\"%systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\Firefox Setup 2.0 RC 3.exe\" -install-global-extension "%systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\extensoes_preferidas\flashgot-0.5.96.060910-fx+fl+mz+ns+zm+tb.xpi" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\060 /VE /D "Forecast Fox 0.9.3" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\060 /V 1 /D "\"%systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\Firefox Setup 2.0 RC 3.exe\" -install-global-extension %systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\extensoes_preferidas\forecastfox-0.9.3-fx+fl+mz+ns+zm.xpi" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\065 /VE /D "GeoURL 0.6" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\065 /V 1 /D "\"%systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\Firefox Setup 2.0 RC 3.exe\" -install-global-extension %systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\extensoes_preferidas\geourl-0.6-fx.xpi" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\070 /VE /D "Gmail Manager 0.5.3" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\070 /V 1 /D "\"%systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\Firefox Setup 2.0 RC 3.exe\" -install-global-extension %systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\extensoes_preferidas\gmail_manager-0.5.3-fx+fl+mz+ns+zm.xpi" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\075 /VE /D "Gmail Skins 0.9.7" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\075 /V 1 /D "\"%systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\Firefox Setup 2.0 RC 3.exe\" -install-global-extension %systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\extensoes_preferidas\gmail_skins-0.9.7-fx.xpi" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\080 /VE /D "Gmail Space 0.4.4" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\080 /V 1 /D "\"%systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\Firefox Setup 2.0 RC 3.exe\" -install-global-extension %systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\extensoes_preferidas\gmail_space-0.4.4-fx+fl.xpi" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\085 /VE /D "Greasemonkey 0.6.6" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\085 /V 1 /D "\"%systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\Firefox Setup 2.0 RC 3.exe\" -install-global-extension %systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\extensoes_preferidas\greasemonkey-0.6.6.20061017.0-fx.xpi" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\090 /VE /D "IE Tab 1.1.1" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\090 /V 1 /D "\"%systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\Firefox Setup 2.0 RC 3.exe\" -install-global-extension %systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\extensoes_preferidas\ie_tab-1.1.1-fx+fl+mz-windows.xpi" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\100 /VE /D "Mouse Gestures 1.5.1" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\100 /V 1 /D "\"%systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\Firefox Setup 2.0 RC 3.exe\" -install-global-extension %systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\extensoes_preferidas\mouse_gestures-1.5.1-fx+mz+zm+tb.xpi" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\105 /VE /D "Orkut Toolbar 1.2" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\105 /V 1 /D "\"%systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\Firefox Setup 2.0 RC 3.exe\" -install-global-extension %systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\extensoes_preferidas\orkut_toolbar-1.2-fx+fl+mz+ns+zm.xpi" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\110 /VE /D "Tab Mix Plus 0.3.0.5" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\110 /V 1 /D "\"%systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\Firefox Setup 2.0 RC 3.exe\" -install-global-extension %systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\extensoes_preferidas\tab_mix_plus-0.3.0.5-fx.xpi" /f

but it didnt work. each extension simply opened the installer again, and it would just install firefox again, not the extension, and not silently, ´cause i had to cancel all the windows to bypass this part of my setup and continue with the rest.

witch mistake i made?

is all extensions supposed to go on one line only? and i have to put the path to each extension, right?

I haven't tried with FF2 but if the switches still work it requires the installed FF exe to install the extensions not the installer itself, try changeing

Firefox Setup 2.0 RC 3.exe

to the location of firefox, prolly your version of

%ProgramFiles%\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe

I have no idea what the 'official' way to do this is, but here is what i do, and it works with 1.5.0.7 and 2.0 RC3. There is an example of this at the bottom of my repository.

Install all the addons/extensions you like, configure firefox as you like, install bookmarks as you like. When completed, go into the %appdata% folder and make a self extracting archive of the 'mozilla' folder found there, having it self extract to %appdata%. Works for me, hope it works for you too.

To discover exactly where your %appdata% folder is type this in a cmd window:

cd %appdata%

The above command works in Vista also, sure makes finding it easier.

Another quick note about 2.0; The switch -ms or /S will install it silently from svcpack but it does not ceate a quicklaunch shortcut.

shark

Edited by Shark007

@Shark007

I know about the appdata folder, witch contains my entire profile.

But my intend is to do, in each new wiindows install, a "new fresh" install of every extension, installing all together with Firefox.

But i don´t know if they´ve changed something in Firefox 2, but the -MS still makes it stalls sillently, so i wonder the -install-global-extension would work too.

All i want to know is that how do i make it? I put in one line all the extensions?

i saw somewhere that, to install a extension with firefox, i just had to use this:
Firefox.exe -install-global-extension "name-of-extension.xpi"

AFAIK, nothing unattended. The switch is used for Global install of extensions.

How do I install a global extension?

Typically people install extensions interactively and they are then installed into their user directory. For something like the CCK, you want to install it as a global extension. Global extensions are stored in the extensions directory where binary is located. To install a system extension, run Firefox with this syntax:

firefox -install-global-extension mycck.xpi

This will cause the extension to be installed as a global extension.

but where shall i put the extensions?

don´t i have to specify the path to where they are?

or i put them into the same directory in where the installer is?

i see now that the main mistake that i was making is that i was trying to use the installer of firefox to install the extensions, and not the program installed itself.

now i´m gonna try this:

REG ADD %KEY%\065 /VE /D "GeoURL 0.6" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\065 /V 1 /D "\"%programfiles%\Mozzila Firefox\firefox.exe\" -install-global-extension %systemdrive%\programas\Firefox\extensoes_preferidas\geourl-0.6-fx.xpi" /f

my doubt is if i have to specify the path to where the extensions are...

Edited by gugutz

but where shall i put the extensions?

If you want to do it unattended, then you can do it as Shark has mentioned of archiving the mozilla folder in %appdir% or you would repack the extensions into the install package and modify the config.ini to install them. CCK is used for custom config installs so have a look at it. CCK instructions here for using config.ini.

You could use FEBE and CLEO to help with general backing up or saving xpi files into a single xpi file.

• 2 weeks later...
I have no idea what the 'official' way to do this is, but here is what i do, and it works with 1.5.0.7 and 2.0 RC3. There is an example of this at the bottom of my repository.

Install all the addons/extensions you like, configure firefox as you like, install bookmarks as you like. When completed, go into the %appdata% folder and make a self extracting archive of the 'mozilla' folder found there, having it self extract to %appdata%. Works for me, hope it works for you too.

shark

This method works for me. Both with FF 1.5.0.7 and 2.0. :thumbup

• 2 months later...

Just to share my method, this is what i use for Firefox 2.0 silent installation

For firefox i use "Firefox2.exe -ms"

then the flash player "install_flash_player.exe /s"

and shockwave using the switchless pack "swinstaller1.exe"

finally a batch file "FF_ext_installer.bat"

---FF_ext_installer.bat------- (all *.xpi extension must be same within same folder)

@echo off

REM INSTALLING FIREFOX EXTENSIONS.

for %%e in ("*.xpi") do "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\Firefox.exe" -install-global-extension "%%e"

exit

---------------------------------

With this method it will whatever *.XPI in the same folder. :thumbup

Just to share my method, this is what i use for Firefox 2.0 silent installation

For firefox i use "Firefox2.exe -ms"

then the flash player "install_flash_player.exe /s"

and shockwave using the switchless pack "swinstaller1.exe"

finally a batch file "FF_ext_installer.bat"

---FF_ext_installer.bat------- (all *.xpi extension must be same within same folder)

@echo off

for %%e in ("*.xpi") do "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\Firefox.exe" -install-global-extension "%%e"

exit

May you attach an example for the FF_ext_installer.bat because I can not read what you have typed above correctly :unsure:

Firefox 2.0 silent installation

@echo off

exit

May you attach an example for the FF_ext_installer.bat because I can not read what you have typed above correctly :unsure:

Here is the link with some of my favourite extension for firefox :angel

http://rapidshare.com/files/10184814/FF-extension.rar

• 2 months later...

to make ff run using default profile in its self-contained folder in ProgramFiles (instead of %appdata%), run this command:

firefox.exe -profile defaults\profile

Then install all the plugins, make all the customizations you want. Then pack it into any compressor or installer you want.... Atleast, thats what I do.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello you all,

im new completly beginner in coding and my problem(i guess im the only one)is very simple.i just want to install SILENTLY the default settings without any extension or plugins of an ff 2.* i thought of a *.bat or something like that.

so please could someone help me ... the simpleminded

Edited by senselti