Install From Hard Disk

I did my own bootable cd with xp home install + applications as described in msfn.org sites.

I need to implement a little feature, like major hardware vendors done with their computer. Copy installation files (all) on the hard disk and let windows continue the install process without any cd inside the dvd/cd reader.

Actually after first reboot, windows continue to get files from cd inside the reader (at least the led blink on off continuosly as well as computer read from it.

Is it possible to do? So I can distribute the computer with on-board os that need to complete the install but do it automatically simply continuing the install after xp requested the license id to user.

Thanks for the reply.

Andrea

if you want it to install then instead of letting it boot from cd, have the CD boot into dos, and then run

winnt /s:sourcepath /t:tempdrive /u:answer-file

That way it will copy the files needed to the hard drive, and then install from there. No need for the CD after that.

if you want it to install then instead of letting it boot from cd, have the CD boot into dos, and then run

That way it will copy the files needed to the hard drive, and then install from there.  No need for the CD after that.

sounds interresting.

but what is an answer-file? :huh:

I boot from dos, ok

/s:d: where d: is my cd-rom drive

/t:c:\xyz ... a x folder that will be considered as temp storage?

/u:winnt.sif

Problem in this case is the location of the winnt.sif file ... well certainly because license id must be supplied by the user I can leave the name and organization field blank so it will be requested as well as the license id.

This can be fine, but it's not what I mean. because this require in each case that I start from a bootable dos disk ... and in all case have a formatted hd. This mean format by hand the disk in NTFS partition while actually with the bootable cd it will format and install all by itself ...

What I want to do is start with a bootable cd ... run the win install and say in some point "copy before all to hd and continue running from hd".

Is this possible?

Andrea