Windows 2000 "Hotstream" Project

Gurgelmeyer

I'm sorry I just assumed you guys would know more about it then I do. The name of the project is: Windows XP POWER LiTE 1.74, subtitled: with memory controler from Windows 2k3 Server... It's definately not the "Mindows Project"...  :rolleyes:

The guys web site here was dead for a while but now doesn't appear to be the original site...  :unsure:    I found the file on bittorrent, the actual file name is Windows_XP_PLD_1.74.exe (335.79Kb) it's a RAR installer that contains NTLDR, a reg file, and some other stuff (can't remember what all)... 

I didn't have Windows XP installed at the time I downloaded it, don't read Polish, thought what little there was in English sounded very compelling but didn't trust the whole affair and deleted the thing...  I've since learned the same guy made something called Windows 2002 Optimizer...

And that folks is all I know...

:}

I was close though... :thumbup

In the interest of keeping the integrity of Gurgelmeyer's Hotsteam Project thread intact (my apoligies Gurgelmeyer for my part in the digression) I've started a new thread on the forums here with more information...

For those distracted by this full page intermission discussing the mysterious Windows XP POWER LiTE and unfamiliar with the HotStream Project (the actual subject of this thread) and what Gurglemeyer is doing/has accomplished, summarily he's created an 'Unofficial Service Pack 5' for Windows 2000 that:

· is better then the Microsoft SPs or Rollup

· uses the same structure as an Official Service Pack

· does not incorporate some of the flaws of an Official Service Pack

· fixes issues Microsoft has not resolved

· incorporate lost and undocumented fixes

· will improve Windows 2000 compatability

· will offer some 2000/XP parity

· allows for slipstreaming just like an 'Official' Service Pack

· includes SP5 hotfixes and patches

· includes all known and many unknown SP, rollup, patches, and fixes

Why the MSFN Admins and Moderators have not given Gurgelmeyer and the HotStream Project it's own sub-forum or at the very least made this thread sticky is beyond me...

:}

Edited by hoak

Why the MSFN Admins and Moderators have not given Gurgelmeyer and the HotStream Project it's own sub-forum or at the very least made this thread sticky is beyond me...

My belief is that xper won't hand out free subforums unless he sees many (100+) users interested in the project.

From the looks of it, Windows XP POWER LiTE 1.74 doesn't do anything (including installing a new memory controller, that's part of the kernel and processor) except apply registry tweaks.

Hi :)

About the memory-thing, a "hotfix" which replaces the memory manager with a low-fragmention one is already part of the SP5. I don't remember it's number, and I don't feel like reading >300 KB-articles once more to find out :blink: - but it's there - trust me!

There might be a seperate forum for this project, but it does require a few things from me, which I haven't fulfilled yet. A lot of you guys - especially those who've tested the /integrate'able SP5 - have been asking about this too, and it probably will happen.

There's definately gonna be some info and stuff on Will's homepage I might mention.

Anyway, I'm working on integrating a few updated fixes too before the final RC of "Unofficial SP5". I just recovered from a major hardware crash, but it's not as big a deal as it sounds, because I've backed up everything every day before powering down my PC :yes:

Best regards,

Gurgelmeyer B)

Edited by Gurgelmeyer

Dear Gurgelmeyer,

Just to satisfy my curiosity :)

How will SP5 and Windows Update work together?

Is it possible to use Windows Update after applying SP5 (or slipstreaming it)?

Does it know what updates have already been installed and allow to install future updates?

Thanks for your efforts in doing what Microsoft doesn't...

Waiting forward to hear from you.

Best Regards,

Pene.

@pene - Oh... v6 finally hit us :w00t: - well if it's anything like v4 it's all in the registry. Anyway, I'm making a real effort to keep WU happy, flagging the right things in the registry etc. It's tough - maybe I need to redo some stuff with v6 :unsure: - definately needs testing. Thanx for pointing it out :yes:

@Gurgelmeyer -

One difference that I notice in v6...

On a fresh install of Windows 2000 SP4 with Rollup1 from Microsoft slipstreamed with /integrate (i know its not exactly slipstreamed, but still....) the Rollup1 update still appears as not installed in v6 but it is 7MB instead of 30+...

I have no idea what this means, just pointing it out :)

@Gurgelmeyer - I'm really looking forward to these new packs your making. You’re doing such a great job you’ll be a real asset to the windows 2000 community (especially after MS abandoned us).

Many thanks for the time and effort you’ve put into this.

- At0mic

Edited by At0mic

@boooggy - I have to figure out what goes on with WU/MSURP1 before I release any rebuilt stuff. ;)

@At0mic - You're welcome - hopefully I'll be able to finish the Unofficial SP5 soon. I didn't have it ready monday as expected (well, guess more than a few people noticed - sry), but that's only because there was still room for "improvement."

@pene - There's something odd going on with this MS URP / WU. I'm investigating it; I do have quite a few theories on this already.... :whistle:

@boooggy - I have to figure out what goes on with WU/MSURP1 before I release any rebuilt stuff.  ;)

@At0mic - You're welcome - hopefully I'll be able to finish the Unofficial SP5 soon.  I didn't have it ready monday as expected (well, guess more than a few people noticed - sry), but that's only because there was still room for "improvement."

@pene - There's something odd going on with this MS URP / WU.  I'm investigating it; I do have quite a few theories on this already.... :whistle:

As I said before, when I tested it, the rollup still showed up on Windows Update even though it had already been integrated prior to install. So yeah there's something odd going on. Like MS messed up their own URP maybe?

Hi :) About the memory-thing, a "hotfix" which replaces the memory manager with a low-fragmention one is already part of the SP5.  I don't remember it's number, and I don't feel like reading >300 KB-articles once more to find out :blink: - but it's there - trust me!

YES! I do remember reading about the memory manager hotfix, god knows wher amazing that you've made the effort to find and include this!

:D

the roll up showed on wu happened to me too. but only after i install w2k with all updates and rollup slipstreamed with nlite and then installed ie6sp1. so i integrate ie6sp1 via svcpack and then the rollup and other hotfixes also via svcpack. it worked.