The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs

I searched the forum and found Aviko's post in which he recommended to someone with the 0 mins 00 secs format that they run "F,,22" and then "m0,6,2,0,0,0,0,22". I tried this but the drive is still not recognised by BIOS. So after repeating all procedure couple of times there is no result. Maybe there is another issue that BSY, but have no idea which way to go (drive is responding to terminal with/without removing PCB).

Hallo,

with the BSY-bug, you must get the "LED:000000CC FAddr:0024A051" error-indication on the serial line. If not, there is something different to look for. Please check if the SATA-data cable is working and if there need to be the 150 MByte line speed to be set with the jumper. Did you remove it first?

no I did not remove anything. I have added some new info into my post 1283, seems to me that a problem is somewhere else

Hello,

I'm trying to fix now a SEAGATE Barracuda 7200.11 SN : ST3500620AS, Firmware : HP12, BSY State.

The CTRL Z works, it goes to N1 smart command, then I have to power off sata connector during 60s, and when I power on again the CTRL Z doesnt work anymore :(

seagate.gif

EDIT : Ok I've fixed it

I had to power off/power on before 10s ... I don't know why, and then hit ctrl z many times until the motor has finished to load. After I restored the configuration with F,,2 command, and finally, I could perform the next commands.

seagate_ok.gif

Edited by cl00m

Hi everyone,

I'm Having the BSY problem with my Barracuda 1 TB.

Anyone in Madrid who already used the cables and circuits needed can sell or spare them to me to fix it? Im having really big trouble finding the mats needed, specially the RS232 to TTL converter.

Thank you in advance.

Sir, i cant see the images :(

You are not the only one, they were removed from the hosting server or timed out.

However, you missed reading just five posts before yours, some images were re-uploaded, and there is a complete guide (with images):

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...807&st=1295

Please avoid quoting entire, lengty posts, it only makes the thread harder to read.

:hello:

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Hi to all.

I just fixed my drive thanks to CarterinCanada.

I used a CA-42 data cable for nokia.

Here are some pics of the cable I used.

1 - green - not used

2 - black - gnd

3 - red - +5V (not used) the kit takes power from the USB connection

4 - white - TX

5 - blue - RX

post-242510-1241464915_thumb.jpg

post-242510-1241464934_thumb.jpg

@SpooX

You should never disconnect the drive after m0,2,2,,,,,22 cmd is given, even if takes 5min. How long it took to you?

That RST 0x20M error sounds like a problem with the "motor trick", check my paper card I used here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=829013

hello Gradius

I BELIEVE YOU ARE VERY BUSY WITH QUESTIONS FOR YOU REGARDING THE 7200.11.

I USED YOUR TRICKS TWO TIMES. SUCCESFUL.

NOW I HAVE A ST31000333AS. DRIVE IS PROBABLY BUSY. MESSAGE WE GOT IS ALL TIME RST 0x20M .

PROBABLY I DID SOMETING WRONG. I STARTED AFTER FAILING COUPLE OF TIME FROM THE BEGINING.

CAN I DO SOMETHING?

WAITING FOR YOUR HELP. HONESTLY DESPERATELY.

THANK U VERY MUCH AGAIN.

If I Fixing BSY,do I lose my data? I have one maxtor drive from raid mirroring not recognizable....

As prooven in the forum so many times: No, you are not loosing your data by fixing the error. But if you are not convinced by what your doing and your making some foolish mistakes, then yes, you can!

So it's your decision: Go and ask Seagate like asdfasdfasdf ( it's free exept shipping costs ) or "do it yourself". Then look on what I have written the page before: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=854499 .

If you need help, just ask! B)

Good luck!

Well i used the same fix on my Seagate 640 HDD, with the same problems, that Seagate won't recognize as a problem drive and wouldn't do anything for me.

I ended up buying this usb to ttl adaptor

It's much easier, it's powered by USB so it cuts down on the work needed, took about a week and a half for it to arrive.

Sir, i have few questions:

1. I font get a usb option in HT

121424341.th.jpg

2. I have cut off a usb-usb converter and i get 4 wires can anyone tell me can this work, with above issue i cant determine the tx and rx nodes.

3. I have many sata power converters but no jumper cables can i use the wires from the sata converters OR any of the four wires from the usb converter ?

4. Can anyone figureout which one is 3v cable and ground cable ?

07052009016r.th.jpg

07052009025.th.jpg

Sorry guys i'm really not into wires and voltages please if anyone can show me the right path ?

Thank Aviko, Gradius2 , arise07 and everyone in this long thread. I got all my data back !!!!!!!

The key points for me are:

1. my dku-5 uses green and white for tx/rx. But there are only total 2-wire 15 combinations for 6 wires, so spend a couple of minutes, those tx/rx will be indentified by the loopback test no matter what tx/rx colors are.

2. DO NOT USE LAPTOP with dku-5 cable,I did not get any connection in hyper terminal. DO USE desktop pc instead. the laptops wasted my whole night.

3. the optional part in Aviko's code is necessary!!!! I think that is why several people including me running into the m0,2,2,0,0,0,0,22 hanging on forever problem.

4. i did not do any GND connection.

Edited by Visualize

i didn't use the data cable you are using, i used a different Adaptor, (see my post above) that did everything for me already, i just needed to set the jumper cable. It was much easier and much less work, and it only costed me less then 20 bucks.

But when you run hyper terminal it generally shows up as a com port, usually com2, or com3