TXTSETUP.SIF / LAYOUT.INF Reference

an3k

filename = status,subdir,size,3,4,5,diskid,subdir,upgradecode,newinstallcode1,newfilename,newinstallcode2,6

filename specifies the source file you want to copy. if the file is compressed using makecab you still specify its uncompressed filename (eg. .dll instead of .dl_)

status specifies the source itself. normally its 1 (RTM) or 100 (SP). see [sourceDisksNames] and [sourceDisksNames.*] in TXTSETUP.SIF

subdir specifies the source subdirectory you want to copy the file from.

size specifies the size of the uncompressed source file in bytes. see [sourceDisksFiles] in LAYOUT.INF

3 is unknown. If you know more, please reply and quote this. Thanks!

4 is unknown. If you know more, please reply and quote this. Thanks!

5 is unknown. If you know more, please reply and quote this. Thanks!

diskid is used when running an installation from (multiple) floppy or multiple cds. see [sourceDisksNames] and [sourceDisksNames.*] in TXTSETUP.SIF

subdir specifies the target subdirectory you want to copy the file to. see [WinntDirectories] in TXTSETUP.SIF

upgradecode is a single digit that is used if this is an upgrade from an earlier version. It specifies whether the file is copied during the text-mode portion.

0 - Always copies the file

1 - Copies the file only if it exists in the installation directory

2 - Does not copy the file if it exists in the installation directory

3 - Does not copy the file

newinstallcode1 is a single digit that is used if this is a fresh installation. It specifies whether the file is copied during the text-mode portion. The newinstallcode1 is optional; if it is not included, the file is not copied (code = 3).

0 - Always copies the file

1 - Copies the file only if it exists in the installation directory

2 - Does not copy the file if it exists in the installation directory

3 - Does not copy the file

newfilename specifies the target filename. see [sourceDisksFiles] in TXTSETUP.SIF

newinstallcode2 is unknown. If you know more, please reply and quote this. Thanks!

6 is unknown. If you know more, please reply and quote this. Thanks!

Example:

filename	  = status,subdir,size,3,4,5,diskid,subdir,upgradecode,newinstallcode1,newfilename,newinstallcode2,6
bootvid.dll = 1, , , , , , 3_, 2, 0, 0, , 1,2
fastfat.sys = 100, , , , , , 5_, 4, 0, 0, , 1,4
tunga.ttf = 1, , , , , , , 22, 0, 0, , 1,22
diskdump.sys = 100, , , , , , , 4, 0, 0, , 1,4
admtoolW.chm = 1, , , , , , , 21, 0, 0,admtools.chm
adpu160m.sys = 1, , , , , , 4_, 4, 1, , , 1,4

this is not finished yet, subscribe for updates! if you can give more information about this topic, please reply. thanks!

---

reference:

1) txtsetup.sif on original windows xp sp2 setup cd

2) layout.inf on original windows xp sp2 setup cd

3) http://gosh.msfn.org/txtsetup.htm

4) msfn user derniwi

5) http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=118815

6) http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms794523.aspx

7) http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms794587.aspx

8) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327393

Edited by an3k

the text-mode setup uses the txtsetup.sif - it processes all sections and copies every file which meet the filter/requirements.

the gui-mode setup uses the layout.inf - the layout is a simple copy of txtsetup.sif EXCEPT that in this file the uncompressed size of the file is specified too. Additionally this files does not include the informations about basic hardware, this is already done txtsetup.sif and text-mode setup.

if you boot from CD or floppy a dos based application reads the files required for setup, thus you need to edit txtsetup.sif

if you sysprep or RIS/WDS such a modified source, a windows based application reads the files, thus you need to edit layout.inf too (just do the same as for txtsetup.sif but don't add new sections!!)

more soon!

Edited by an3k

• 3 weeks later...

Although unrelated to this topic, in away it is....

The info I require is about an inf file I`m trying to put my computer on the desktop from an inf file on xp setup.

the code is below.

I`ve spent nearly a day tweaking this to get it to work and no joy.

If anyone could shed some light on this I would be eternally grateful.

Cheers DaDude.........

[Version]
Signature=$CHICAGO$

[DefaultInstall]
AddReg=DefaultAddReg

[DefaultAddReg]
AddReg=HideDesktopIcons
HKCU,"%Explorer%","HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel"
HKCU,"%Explorer%","HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel","{450D8FBA-AD25-11D0-98A8-0800361B1103}",0x00010001,1
HKCU,"%Explorer%","HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel","{208D2C60-3AEA-1069-A2D7-08002B30309D}",0x00010001,1
HKCU,"%Explorer%","HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel","{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}",0x00010001,0
HKCU,"%Explorer%","HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu"
HKCU,"%Explorer%","HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu","{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}",0x00010001,0

[Strings]
Explorer = "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer"

• 3 weeks later...
filename = status,subdir,size,3,4,5,diskid,subdir,upgradecode,newinstallcode1,newfilename,newinstallcode2,6

diskid is used when running an installation from (multiple) floppy or multiple cds. see [sourceDisksNames] and [sourceDisksNames.*] in TXTSETUP.SIF

I'm fiddling with a script to try and build a boot folder (per Flyakite) without having to do it the winnt32.exe way.

I've noticed that if the diskid is of the for digit-then-underscore, then the specified file will be compressed, whereas if it has no underscore or the underscore precedes the digit, then the file will be uncompressed.

So, for example, this line:

ntkrnlmp.exe = 100,,,,,,2_,,3,3,,1,2

means that the source is I386\ntkrnlmp.ex_, whereas this line:

ksecdd.sys = 100,,,,,,_5,4,0,0,,1,4

means that the source is I386\ksecdd.sys.

I've noticed that most of the information floating around the net is either out of date or plain wrong (this topic being a notable exception!).

The above applies to Windows XP Pro SP3.

A quick glance at Windows 2000 Pro SP4 suggests that it has fewer options, but it looks like diskid is unchanged.

One other point is that I think when the boot folder is setup by winnt32.exe, it uses DOSNET.INF to decide which files to copy and then uses TXTSETUP.SIF to decide which are compressed or not. (Unless one of the other TXTSETUP.SIF fields means "this is for the boot folder" ... actually newinstallcode2 might be a candidate for that, a quick check suggests that it is '1' for the few boot folder files I looked up).

-- deadbug

3 is unknown. If you know more, please reply and quote this. Thanks!

http://www.msfn.org/board/TXTSETUPSIF-Syntax-t125480.html

says

0. [disk_ID]

1. [subdirectory]

3. [checksum]

4. [unused]

5. [unused]

6. [boot_media_order: (1 | 2 | 3 | x |) blank]

7. [destination_directory]

8. [upgrade_disposition: (0 | 1 | 2 | 3)]

9. [text-mode_disposition: (0 | 1 | 2 | 3)]

10. [destination_filename]

11. [source_directory_ID]

12. [destination_directory_ID]

• 7 months later...

Sorry for bringing up a little bit of an old topic, but I found some information somewhere else that relates and wish it had been here.

If the disk id is preceded by _ (underscore) then that file is subject to a file-size check when copied. If the file is not the same size as listed in layout.inf Windows installation dies right there.

So if you are copying a modified file, make sure to update the file size in layout.inf or remove the _ preceding the name. This only counts for layout.inf and not txtsetup.sif (which includes no file sizes).

For an underscore after the diskid see deadbug's post.

Edited by thaimin