Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Yesterday
  2. Really annoying problem keeps cropping up in my 95 VMs though....the A: drive keeps breaking. I don't know what triggers it, but at first it works fine, if I have something to install that requires multiple floppy images, such as plus, I can attach the first image to the A: drive, run the setup, and change disks as prompted and resume the setup, and it detects the new disk just fine. But then at some point, something triggers this to break on the VM, and it will not detect the disk change. Changing the disk breaks the drive until powering the VM off and back on. Which is a problem when it comes to installers that require multiple disks. I've only been able to fix it by completely redoing the VM, but I'm on my 3rd VM, and I've still not figured out what triggers it to avoid it. Anyone run into that before?
  3. As strange as it might seem (but being on MSFN, I don't think I will be regarded as a nutjob), this is my main computer. It's the RDD, the Retro Daily Driver. It is my main computer, as well as being the development system for the UOC Patch. While it's old, it runs very fast thanks to two reasons: it's overclocked and it uses formerly high end parts. These are the specs: CPU: Intel Pentium !!!-S 1.4GHz overclocked to 1.5GHz (Tualatin core, Socket 370) M/B: QDI Advance 10T (VIA Apollo Pro 133T) RAM: 1.5GB PC133 SDRAM GPU: Gecube Radeon X1950 Pro Storage: 1x Western Digital Blue 500GB SSD, 1x Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB HDD Audio: Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Value CT4520 ISA LAN: 3Com 3C905C TX-M 10/100 OS: Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3, modified to consume as little RAM as possible, the UI has been replaced by a Windows 3.x styled one with Stardock Windowblinds 5.1. I still need to do some other upgrades on the RDD. Mostly, I need to add another SSD, replace the CPU with a Tualatin SL6BY, which I've read that can overclock more than its predecessor, the SL5XL Tually. I also need to check out if I can get a Radeon HD3850 or an HD4670 to work reliably on my motherboard, or else I will get another X1950 Pro.
  4. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/windows-message-center#343 WMC is not supported on Windows 10, so this change mainly affects those running Windows 7 Home Premium or Ultimate who use WMC as a DVR. The relative few running Windows 8.1 with Pro Pack will apparently be shafted, as well as anyone still running Vista Home Premium or Ultimate and using TV Pack 2008 (I might be the last TV Packer remaining AFAIK). Of course there are third-party DVR programs such as NextPVR and MediaPortal, but (1) in North America you would need a Schedules Direct subscription for EPG and (2) only WMC supports DRM for North American cablecards. Other than buying a Tivo or renting a DVR from your cable provider, the only solution for issue (2) might be EPG123, which would again entail a Schedules Direct subscription.
  5. I found an old sony vaio laptop in the loft. I have connected it to wifi, but when I try to connect to the internet I just get HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
  6. You'd be right. However BEFORE the store was Napa, the counter was still blue.
  7. Ok, will see what I can round up for a video card. I don't have anything of that era handy, the only spares I have are PCI-E, but I can probably round something up somewhere eventually. Meanwhile, testing in virtual, I've found the repair seems to not work for OSR1. It appears to be doing an OSR2 repair and getting the MS-DOS error. I should note, I'm not entirely confident that my ISOs are properly labeled. My retail and OSR1 both make me enter dashes and OEM when entering in the key though, so that seems right. But, my retail copy comes with a version of Internet Explorer (of the era of the floating windows icon in the sky, before the big blue e), and from what I read on wikipedia, retail didn't come with any version of internet explorer. So....not sure about that. But, anyways, my iso that is labeled retail does the fix correctly, my iso that is labeled OSR1 doesn't. Obviously, no rush to look into that, as I'm happy playing around with my "retail" iso for my purposes, but figured you would want to know that.
  8. Hmmm, only out of curiosity, how do you know exactly that the photo in question was not authorized? Guys, please respect a bit the presumption of innocence. And now, for NO apparent reason, hipsters: https://petapixel.com/2019/03/07/hipster-p***ed-over-his-photo-in-article-on-hipsters-looking-the-same-but-its-a-different-hipster/ jaclaz
  9. Guys, please respect a bit the privacy of other people :-( Unauthorized photos in general are bad enough, but close-up mugs on the public web are a complete No-Go. And doesn't even make any sense at all when the subject are just "screen" shots. Cutting out parts of a photo with any simple, basic app, like IrfanView or even MS-paint, takes just a minute, and NO skills!
  10. Welcome to the MSFN! Make sure to read the site rules, especially the first bit. We operate a bit differently than mdl.
  11. The blue countertop makes me think it is a Napa.
  12. UPDATE! I have updated both the 38 ESR and 45 ESR versions of the UOC Patch. Please update and let me know how they run on your old machines! EDIT: Macintosh version updated as well. EDIT 2: I have finally found the culprit behind the occasional stuttering when a website is scrolled. The reason is due to a behavior of both Gecko and Goanna, called "reflowing". Basically it seems that part of the canvas gets briefly reloaded when a page is scrolled, causing the stutter. I'm not a web designer so pardon if my explanation is incorrect, but this seems to behave that way. Now that I have finally found the culprit (at least on my machine), I have managed to disable the automatic reflowing of the canvas when a page is scrolled, fixing the issue, at least on my machine. I have updated the UOC Patch for every platform so please, re-download and update the patch accordingly. I might add some other features in the next days, so make sure you follow this thread in order to get the latest developments of the UOC Patch and the Enforcer.
  13. OpenSSL v1.1.1d for XP is now available. Only a few minor fixes since v1.1.1c, so it may not be worth the trouble to rebuild Python's Cryptography module with it, but here it is anyway, just in case.
  14. It's been a long time since I've used it, but I have an AGP Radeon 92xx card here that I previously used before I moved up to the 9800XT years ago. I know a working driver package for this card existed for 95*, but I don't remember any specifics of it. It should be possible to get this card up and running under 95* though. I doubt this card is the problem, *but once again my experience is based on OSR2. ON the other hand... after seeing you said "All-In-Wonder"; I do vaguely remember noting years ago that the system requirements on one of those older All-In-Wonder cards were different from the system requirements for the exact same normal Radeon 9xxx model. If you happen to have any other AGP or PCI video card, it may be worthwhile to do a test run with it instead of the All-In-Wonder. We can't say for sure this IS the problem yet, but if you have a way to test without it it could help rule it out. I understand completely.. my first machine had DOS and Win 3.1, but my next machine had 95 OSR2. I always preferred it.. hated 98FE with a passion. For a long time I refused to use 98SE because it changed IE from 4 that I was used to to 5 that had some minor difference that annoyed me (and now I can't even remember what exactly). I only moved to 98SE years ago when I hit this very CPU bug on my new P4 3.06GHz build. At the time I didn't know how to fix it, but at least I revenged myself on the problem years later. It may take me some time to dig further into this.. I've got some issues coming up this week that will prevent me from getting much done, but I've not given up. In the meantime, if you have the opportunity you can try some test runs with different conditions and see if anything changes. -Try a different video card if you have one (even one without 9x support). -Try disabling all onboard devices you can in the BIOS of the motherboard and reinstall. If it works, re-enable them one by one until you see the problem. -Try to get a BOOTLOG from the system.. this can be tricky as it's a hidden file and frequently gets overwritten. Bet way is to choose Logged boot from the menu, let the system crash, and then retrieve the file with another OS. This may give some idea of what exactly is crashing, although I'm not the best at deciphering them.
  15. Well, since you kindly located the TRIM sources for @xrayer, I do have a request, too, in case you can find a little time to spare: on July the 17th, RLoew reported he had found out the SCSI commands for changing the apparent sector size of WDC external USB disks (in the thread quoted below, from the quoted post onwards)... So, whatever source code and compiled programs related to this must be from not more than a couple of days before his initial post about it, and probably were one o the last things he worked on. I'd love to have a look on whatever you can find, either in source form, notes or test executables, in case any can be found. Sorry to bother, but it's a subject we all were just starting to pursue, and his were the 1st applicable results, so it'd be a great help to get them. Thanks in advance!
  16. Alright, that's cool! I'll also make sure to include a link to rloewelectronics.com when you get that up.
  17. Very. This part of New York State has a lot of Timmies. They built a Dunkin Donuts in town a few years ago, it gets almost no business. Tim's is packed to the road every morning. I hear they don't do so well most other places in the 'States, though. Might be how close I am to the Canadian border having to do with everyone here preferring Canada's Favorite Coffee.
  18. Last week
  19. How popular is Tim Hortons over there? Here the inner part of the cup lids is now maple leaf-shaped! They never attempted this gimmicky patriotic stuff when the company was actually Canadian-owned. Anyway, I announced that the operators of my college's cafeteria were moving away from XP in May. Indeed when the current semester started the XP box appeared to be in a state of network boot failure, presumably. They fixed everything a few weeks ago and now the cashier ignores the Windows 10 POS machine in favour of the XP one!
  20. Bitte nicht auf Deutsch posten! Nur Englisch ist erlaubt hier.
  21. I'm working on it right now, doing various tests. Once done I'll upload it. EDIT: 45 ESR version of the UOC Patch and Enforcer have been fixed. Please re-download and update!
  22. That reminds me: the typo in 45 line55 probably makes that all following lines are ignored. Had the same prob in my own personal files, and noticed it only accidentally, probably much later. Then invented a little trick to make it visible on about:config if the file was damaged: pref on top of file: pref("aaa.CHECK.mysettings.COMPLETE", "*** BROKEN! *** CHECK! ***"); pref at end pref("aaa.CHECK.mysettings.COMPLETE", "OK"); :-)
  23. While the 38 ESR version seems to behave as it should, I am working on the 45 ESR version, hoping I can iron it enough to squeeze some extra performance out of it. I still need to rewrite the Macintosh version. Please test the 45 ESR version of the patch and the Enforcer and let me know the outcome. Stay tuned!
  24. You are welcome to put something up. I just got the rloewelectronics.com domain that I'll put everything on as I sort it out. Reading your post, I think he had given me a copy of Borland's Turbo C compiler at some point. It does seem like he had some sort of custom handling of his includes.
  1. Load more activity