Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. heinoganda

Microsoft security essentials and Windows XP

RAUE In this case, pay attention to the uppercase and lowercase letters!
  3. ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

[Solved] Modifying Windows XP CD files? (compress to a LZX format)

A BSoD will occur related to ACPI
  4. ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

[Solved] Installing Windows XP on Bay Trail-M CPU

It's indeed possible After two days ^o^ You will need the latest bios, these SATA drivers, CABARC or cabpack 1.4, NTLite, WinSetupFromUsb 1.8, Dietmar's ACPI.sys, and a flash drive https://www.win-raid.com/t22f45-Guide-Integration-of-Intels-AHCI-RAID-drivers-into-a-Windows-XP-W-k-W-k-CD.html (site where SATA drivers were found) 1. Press f2 while PC is booting and enable legacy mode, disable any other mode(s). Make USB the first to boot. 2. Get a Windows XP disc, copy out all files except for one that says "boot". 3. Obtain the ACPI.sys file, use cabpack 1.4 to convert the file into a LZX format archive. Then rename it to "ACPI.SY_" and replace original ACPI.SY found in the i386 folder. 4. Setup an NTLite installation for Windows XP, bundle the SATA drivers (Go to drivers folder, NOT the 64 one and click the inf file). Include all drivers 5. Once NTLite is done, use WinSetupFromUsb to create a bootable flash drive. 6. Auto format with FBinst, check add XP to disk, include the folder changed by NTLite. 7. Set pendrive, use in computer, but make sure to press f7 quickly after selecting XP installation. You will have to manually turn off the computer after the partition is set. It may freeze the first time booting afterward, but it's all good. Warning: eye-candy ahead No poor PC should be forced to run a bloated Vista/7/8/10 when there's a perfectly speedy XP Unfortunately, I don't think this will work with Windows 2000 because the drivers work on XP, but 2000.
  5. Damnation

pressing F7 will skip loading acpi - what happens if you don't press F7?
  6. ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

It works! Using the custom drivers, f7, rloew and Damnation's suggested cab file makers to successfully replacing the ACPI.sys file, updating the bios, and f7 made it work!!!
  7. Today
  8. Windows 2000

chrome 49 XP

Wait wait wait... you just got me very excited @FranceBB. You're telling me, that even though there is lots of work to be done to get it working, there is hope in getting Chrome 74 on XP? If someone were to implement QueryThreadCycleTime to the kernel, Chrome 74 would be working? Are you guys working on it regularly?
  9. ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

The operation is a bitter-sweet success <3 Windows XP with the modded ACPI.sys files does not stop and claim the claim is corrupted <3 Now I just need to figure out the ACPI problem on my 2014 AIO computer that does not support XP T_T
  10. Damnation

odd - the l on the end of the link wasn't hyperlinked just copy the whole address into your address bar https://www.techspot.com/downloads/7104-cabpack.html
  11. ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

Broken link
  12. Damnation

I use cabpack 1.4 - https://www.techspot.com/downloads/7104-cabpack.html
  13. http://www.pixelsplasher.com/_downloads/software/Microsoft-Cabinet-SDK/
  14. I am using the old method again of executing LAVfilters. since i have pretty old MOBO this version will do: LAVFilters-0.69-x86 lavfilters old https://www.videohelp.com/software/LAV-Filters/old-versions if there are videoproblems e.g. playing in Windows Mediaplayer it maybe be a complex situation related to ffdshow, DivX(/Xvid), MP4-splitter and FLV-Splitter and more so we need to know what problem you have. Mov-files not playing, videos not playing at all or only certain types? i had huge problems after defragging partition containing Video-and audio-files. sometimes the same issue coming even without defragging which is adviced. or seperating video/audio from other stuff. the only issue i have not showing icons anymore on most videos. MPEG-4
  15. ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

Could you link me to the program? Google search tells me that it's only available on Windows SP2 and earlier or something.
  16. I use CABARC, not MAKECAB. What I posted is a CLI command. If the file is on the Desktop, you either have to place a copy in your current directory, or set the Desktop folder as your current directory.
  17. rloew

Internet Games no longer work

I just tried it. It does not work.
  18. I made a small fix for updating KB4494528. This is a packed cmd file using Bat To Exe Converter. The fix does not display any messages or windows, so it is convenient to run it when you automatically install updates. WindowsXP-KB4494528-x86-Embedded-Fix.exe
  19. ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

You've been such an outstanding help to retro computer survival! <3 Once I enter the program makecab.exe in Windows XP, is that all I have to type? What if the modified ACPI.SYS is on the desktop? Thank you so much!
  20. rloew

Internet Games no longer work

Try adding a HOSTS file entry redirecting freegames.zone.com to the IP for mpgame5.games.msn.com
  21. CABARC -m LZX:21 N ACPI.SY_ ACPI.SYS
  22. FranceBB

Possible to get Skype 8 up and running on XP?

Sure it does. At least on Chromium. https://preview.web.skype.com/ (I'm using a VPN, so I've hidden the IP address). Anyway, this is what I'm using to spoof my Chromium 54 as Chromium 75: "C:\Programmi\Advanced Chrome\chrome.exe" --user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/75.0.3732.0 Safari/537.36" Of course, calls don't work as the extension and the MSI fail to install. I don't know why you are all having so many issues... I've never tried it with Firefox, though, but on Chromium it has always worked flawlessly and I'm reporting my real OS: Windows XP as the last thing on earth I wanna do is to make the Win10 net market share larger.
  23. Anyone can help me please ? I am trying to build latest LAV filters for newmoon 27 . This bloody script is not running , I have latest visual studio 2017 , installed and tried with msys even https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/blob/master/build_ffmpeg_msvc.sh
  24. Here are the setupregs: https://mega.nz/#!Zs91kIyY!L4wzc00mdutMqkgQYz4as3q-Kp7iME8P90tbBJTHcq0 And I'll try running the new version tomorrow.
  25. ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

[Solved] Installing Windows XP on Bay Trail-M CPU

Another method I tried was pressing f5 and setting the computer to "Basic PC". I also tried pressing f7 to disable ACPI... Both took me a step further, but now I have a 0x0000007B error. Windows 8 is currently installed...is that causing the issue? I also cannot set BIOS to ATA instead of ACPI...
  26. ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

I just tried using makecab.exe on my XP...no compressed file
  27. tomasz86

Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

Hmm, I expected some significant differences in the slipstreamed files, but in fact almost all of them are exactly the same as in my source, with the exception of "SETUPREG.HIV". Yours is almost double the size of the original, which is quite strange. This file is modified by HFSLIP only in the very beginning of the slipstreaming process when adding support for larger drives to the Windows 2000 installer, and I am suspecting that this may be the host OS (which is Windows 10 in your case) to mess the things up. Even after the modifications, the file size should normally stay roughly the same (as it is in my case). I would like to ask for two things: 1. Could you please share your "SETUPREG.HIV" file for inspection? If possible, both the one from your unmodified Windows 2000 source, and the one after using HFSLIP2000. 2. I have uploaded a new, beta version of HFSLIP2000 to the Archive under https://mega.nz/#F!2lBVBBLI!WqmqhpxuX0qyCY1LiX4-gw!L0omSarK. This one does not use "reg.exe" from the host OS, but rather relies on the one from Windows 2000 to patch "SETUPREG.HIV". This will probably require some time, but if possible could you use this version of HFSLIP2000 to slipstream everything again, and then run "HFSLIP2000-info.cmd" on the newly created source? I would like to compare it with the old one to verify my suspicions.
  1. Load more activity