Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Wrong address. It's here (HTTP, not HTTPS): http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx Edit: I can connect to WU, but there's error 0x80244019 when trying to search for updates.
  3. Knowing your hardware specs would help, off the bat. Login/logout animations aren't the smoothest on any configuration I'm afraid, that's just kind of a design flaw. But poorly optimized display drivers can further aggregate that. What GPU and drivers are you using? Power usage is a tough one to tackle. You didn't mention what power plan/power saving features you were using with W10, though. You'd need to be using similar settings to compare. But from memory, I think 10 softlocks the lower tier 'Balanced' power mode. You can up that, but it's a bit hidden in the UI. Like the login fadeout, drivers can have an impact there too. Sleep shouldn't take long at all if you're not using Radeon psa, if you're booting from an SSD (which you most certainly should be doing), 7 and Vista do put a bit extra strain on i/o and consume more space than they should. This aggressive way of caching was designed to squeeze a bit of speed out of slow mechanical moving disks. This article has some great pointers to optimize some settings and gain some free space back. (10 has similar rubbish defaults, if not more taxing) https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-performance-tweak,2911-3.html
  4. That is the one I tried, I tried that one again, and I got the same error, "The system cannot find the file specified.".
  5. Today
  6. cool. I had actually forked your ntdllx3 (so I could use XP's sysdm.cpl, 2003 SP2's service engine and Whistler 2419's theme engine) and made my own with a few extra functions that no others had. I don't have a lot of my win2k stuff with me now so I forgot what they were, but just open up 2003 SP2's services.exe in dependency walker and the functions that are missing are the ones that I put in mine. The attempt to backport the service engine and the theme engine failed though. But I just copied the functions verbatim from 2003 SP2. But it would be great to use your ntdll since it has support for SxS (manifest/local) files which is important to my Vista extended kernel, and would help for the few older programs that have compatibility issues with the win2k extended kernel (for example, WindowBlinds 3.5 thinks I'm running XP and that makes it... not work - fcwin2k/nnn4nt5 doesn't help and I haven't found a way to patch it to bypass the error).
  7. I think latest for XP are 368.91: https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/GRAPHICS-BOARD/NVIDIA/NVIDIA-GeForce-iCafe-Graphics-Driver-36891-for-XP.shtml But it seems like it is a hit and miss game, see: https://msfn.org/board/topic/177373-winxp-drivers-for-gtx-10xx-video-cards/ https://msfn.org/board/topic/177373-winxp-drivers-for-gtx-10xx-video-cards/?do=findComment&comment=1177300 jaclaz
  8. But 8.1 drivers normally work on 2012 R2? Try this one: https://drp.su/en/hwids/PCI\VEN_11AB%26DEV_2B38?os=windows-8.1-x64 jaclaz
  9. For those who might want to read more, here’s a Microsoft support article where the download link can be found: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/926464/a-new-version-of-the-windows-update-offline-scan-file-wsusscn2-cab-is Vista is not specifically mentioned, but the page was updated May 25, 2017.
  10. There are some functions that are present in WildBill's ntdll but not BWC's ntdll. I have been working on adding all of BWC's functions to WildBill's kernel32. It should be ready for release in the next few days, and there will also be a few new functions that don't exist in either WildBill or BWC's extended kernels.
  11. Huh? But I thought you said "And WildBill stopped working on his extended kernel files years ago, so they don't have nearly as much functions as BWC" Any chance they can be reconciled so that one has all the functions? It's probably more complicated than that it sounds like, I've never done any kernel patching!
  12. Oh, that's just a script that does just those two automatically. I kind of forgot about that. That's because those are the 2 programs I use. This is the script that could be run as a startup script to auto-update those programs, I think. I just use Install.bat though. MailNews is listed in the main script under "BOC" I believe
  13. WildBill's ntdll has more functions than BWC's.
  14. Anyone got a working driver for the Nvidia 1060? Found that you can add lines with ID to the driver inf file, added them, the driver was installed, but does not work. When the system was turned on, it got 640x480 resolution and 4-bit color. Perhaps you need a specific driver version? I've tried 368.81-desktop-winxp-64bit-international. I have a 1060 3GB graphics card, but I think there is no difference from the amount of memory.
  15. Thank you! This works perfect. Surprised, it actually places the files accordingly in c/programfiles and even creates a Start Menu entry. Curious about one thing though. The main bat file doesn't list MailNews, rather there's a separate bat Install_MailNews_PaleMoon.bat
  16. Hello, I have a Surface Pro 6 and Windows 8.1 did not work on there, so I installed Windows Server 2012 R2 (which is the server version of 8.1). I have tried to install the network driver for 8.1, but I get an error saying "The system cannot find the file specified". Snappy Driver Installer did not detect the driver. Here is the hardware info: PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_2B38&SUBSYS_045E0008&REV_00 PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_2B38&SUBSYS_045E0008 PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_2B38&CC_020000 PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_2B38&CC_0200 PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_2B38&REV_00 PCI\VEN_11AB&CC_020000 PCI\VEN_11AB&CC_0200 PCI\VEN_11AB PCI\CC_020000&DT_0 PCI\CC_020000 PCI\CC_0200&DT_0 PCI\CC_0200
  17. Gotcha, I didn't know there were other kernels out there. What is the advantage over those over BWC these days?
  18. It can be installed on the 370 chipset, but a BIOS mod may be required, and the system installation disk needs to be modified. There are no drivers for the RX5700.
  19. Thanks Jaclaz, that seems to do the job. Windows patch loader d/ls mostly cabs without the extra characters, whereas the links at the beginning of this thread download mostly msu files
  20. Yeah, I guess I don't really care for any of that, to be honest. Only thing from W10 that has been nice so far is the improved Snipping Tool with the "delay" function, which I have used many times now. Unfortunately, I tried your earlier advice but was not successful in porting it back. The only thing W10 really has going for it so far, I guess! Isn't that the sketchy ReactOS thing? Or something 3rd party? Really, I'd all be interested in doing is using Office 2010 on XP. That's what I did back in the day, both that and 2007. I could probably install it without problematic updates after they started breaking XP, but it would be nice to just have the latest copy come October 2020.
  21. It works fine with BWC's files. Ximonite made his latest ntdll based on WildBill's ntdll and added all of BWC's functions to it. But it doesn't mix well with BWC's kernel32. And WildBill stopped working on his extended kernel files years ago, so they don't have nearly as much functions as BWC, so they can't run roytam1's browsers.
  22. W7 shouldn't be too difficult, as I think that most system files remain unsigned as in Vista. But I'm not aware of any real software incompatibilities with W10 yet. I'm only aware of the DX12 stuff, UWP stuff, and Office 2019's installer asking for SetCoalescableTimer (Windows 8 and up). XP has One-Core-API.
  23. Perhaps he didnt due to forum rules and/or legal issues.
  24. YouTube seems to work more or less fine in New Moon 28 and Firefox 52.9 ESR on Windows 2000 with Extended Kernel. Presumably, would work in XP, too.
  1. Load more activity