Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Damnation

Modifying Windows XP CD files? (compress to a LZX format)

odd - the l on the end of the link wasn't hyperlinked just copy the whole address into your address bar https://www.techspot.com/downloads/7104-cabpack.html
  3. ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

Broken link
  4. Damnation

I use cabpack 1.4 - https://www.techspot.com/downloads/7104-cabpack.html
  5. rloew

http://www.pixelsplasher.com/_downloads/software/Microsoft-Cabinet-SDK/
  6. I am using the old method again of executing LAVfilters. since i have pretty old MOBO this version will do: LAVFilters-0.69-x86 lavfilters old https://www.videohelp.com/software/LAV-Filters/old-versions if there are videoproblems e.g. playing in Windows Mediaplayer it maybe be a complex situation related to ffdshow, DivX(/Xvid), MP4-splitter and FLV-Splitter and more so we need to know what problem you have. Mov-files not playing, videos not playing at all or only certain types? i had huge problems after defragging partition containing Video-and audio-files. sometimes the same issue coming even without defragging which is adviced. or seperating video/audio from other stuff. the only issue i have not showing icons anymore on most videos. MPEG-4
  7. ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

Could you link me to the program? Google search tells me that it's only available on Windows SP2 and earlier or something.
  8. rloew

I use CABARC, not MAKECAB. What I posted is a CLI command. If the file is on the Desktop, you either have to place a copy in your current directory, or set the Desktop folder as your current directory.
  9. rloew

Internet Games no longer work

I just tried it. It does not work.
  10. I made a small fix for updating KB4494528. This is a packed cmd file using Bat To Exe Converter. The fix does not display any messages or windows, so it is convenient to run it when you automatically install updates. WindowsXP-KB4494528-x86-Embedded-Fix.exe
  11. ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

You've been such an outstanding help to retro computer survival! <3 Once I enter the program makecab.exe in Windows XP, is that all I have to type? What if the modified ACPI.SYS is on the desktop? Thank you so much!
  12. rloew

Try adding a HOSTS file entry redirecting freegames.zone.com to the IP for mpgame5.games.msn.com
  13. rloew

CABARC -m LZX:21 N ACPI.SY_ ACPI.SYS
  14. Today
  15. FranceBB

Possible to get Skype 8 up and running on XP?

Sure it does. At least on Chromium. https://preview.web.skype.com/ (I'm using a VPN, so I've hidden the IP address). Anyway, this is what I'm using to spoof my Chromium 54 as Chromium 75: "C:\Programmi\Advanced Chrome\chrome.exe" --user-agent="Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/75.0.3732.0 Safari/537.36" Of course, calls don't work as the extension and the MSI fail to install. I don't know why you are all having so many issues... I've never tried it with Firefox, though, but on Chromium it has always worked flawlessly and I'm reporting my real OS: Windows XP as the last thing on earth I wanna do is to make the Win10 net market share larger.
  16. Anyone can help me please ? I am trying to build latest LAV filters for newmoon 27 . This bloody script is not running , I have latest visual studio 2017 , installed and tried with msys even https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/blob/master/build_ffmpeg_msvc.sh
  17. Here are the setupregs: https://mega.nz/#!Zs91kIyY!L4wzc00mdutMqkgQYz4as3q-Kp7iME8P90tbBJTHcq0 And I'll try running the new version tomorrow.
  18. ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

Installing Windows XP on Bay Trail-M CPU?

Another method I tried was pressing f5 and setting the computer to "Basic PC". I also tried pressing f7 to disable ACPI... Both took me a step further, but now I have a 0x0000007B error. Windows 8 is currently installed...is that causing the issue? I also cannot set BIOS to ATA instead of ACPI...
  19. ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

I just tried using makecab.exe on my XP...no compressed file
  20. tomasz86

Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

Hmm, I expected some significant differences in the slipstreamed files, but in fact almost all of them are exactly the same as in my source, with the exception of "SETUPREG.HIV". Yours is almost double the size of the original, which is quite strange. This file is modified by HFSLIP only in the very beginning of the slipstreaming process when adding support for larger drives to the Windows 2000 installer, and I am suspecting that this may be the host OS (which is Windows 10 in your case) to mess the things up. Even after the modifications, the file size should normally stay roughly the same (as it is in my case). I would like to ask for two things: 1. Could you please share your "SETUPREG.HIV" file for inspection? If possible, both the one from your unmodified Windows 2000 source, and the one after using HFSLIP2000. 2. I have uploaded a new, beta version of HFSLIP2000 to the Archive under https://mega.nz/#F!2lBVBBLI!WqmqhpxuX0qyCY1LiX4-gw!L0omSarK. This one does not use "reg.exe" from the host OS, but rather relies on the one from Windows 2000 to patch "SETUPREG.HIV". This will probably require some time, but if possible could you use this version of HFSLIP2000 to slipstream everything again, and then run "HFSLIP2000-info.cmd" on the newly created source? I would like to compare it with the old one to verify my suspicions.
  21. antiproton

It has been a long time since I did it but creating .cab files in the LZX:21 format uses makecab.exe. There is a GUI to make things easier called IExpress.exe. Both files come with XP and can be found in the \WINDOWS\system32\ folder. Making a CAB file in the LZX:21 format may require using makecab.exe with the commandline. Someone here is bound to know.
  22. i430VX

Well, I tried taking a poke with wireshark... all I really can tell you is that XP checkers tries to connect to freegames.zone.com which no longer exists. on windoze 7 it connects to mpgame5.games.msn.com, which still indeed exists. I suppose one could redirect the old checkers to the new server, maybe. I have no clue how to do that though.
  23. Just a repost of the Unofficial MSFN Discord I've made:

https://discord.gg/ezvJmgH

24. bphlpt

Update Win 7, or Not ?

And those five are? These perhaps? KB3033929 (download can be accessed via here): KB3071756 update (MS15-085) for Win7 MicrosoftFixit50688.msi not easily available anymore, But I found it here. [Thanks @alacran!] Standalone Install Download: Microsoft Update Catalog - KB4474419 Standalone Install Download: Microsoft Update Catalog - KB4490628 I assume you keep .NET and IE up to date. [Since I'm not aware of any nasty updates in those two categories.] If so, do you have a list of the appropriate current updates available? [Just to keep things handy in as few posts as possible for those that want to use the minimum Win 7 updates as possible while still maintaining the maximum usability and performance.] TIA. I also realize that this approach is only recommended for careful, intelligent, and thoughtful users that use other precautions to protect themselves and don't wander in inappropriate area, don't add every possible browser extension, don't blindly click on every link in every email they receive, and don't install software from sources they are not sure of. If @taos wouldn't mind, it would be handy if he would summarize in the first post the three or four apparent different approaches that seem to be proposed in this thread to answer his original question: [Again, just to be handy.] 1) The five or so listed above (plus ,Net and IE?) 2) Nothing except SP1 unless your software requires it (and maybe some of 1?) 3) Everything up to Dec 2017 via either Simplex or WSUS Offline Update (and maybe some of 1?) 4) Keep up to date but only security updates using WSUS Offline Update (and .NET and IE?) That would kind of echo the approach that @dencorso uses in the thread "How to avoid being "upgraded to Win 10" against your will". Just a thought. Cheers and Regards
  25. VistaLover

Possible to get Skype 8 up and running on XP?

New Moon 28 has a default SSUAO for "live.com" that flags it as Firefox/52.9 (Pale Moon): general.useragent.override.live.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.9 (Pale Moon) OTOH, Serpent doesn't have this by default ; did you in fact modify the above SSUAO in NM28 to: general.useragent.override.live.com;Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Fedora; Fedora; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/73.0.3683.86 Safari/537.36 ???
  26. Yes, that one! The issue was having grub on the computer. While this is dumb and i shouldn't have to do this for a windows update, pulling the linux drive out while booting to apply changes did the trick Thank you!
  27. quadriped

Update Win 7, or Not ?

Thanks, I've stopped doing Win7 Updates, and I've bookmarked this. What's SHA? The other vital question is: are you a radish or a dragon?
  1. Load more activity