Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. MVoloshin

KernelEx for Win2000

Blackwingcat, could you tell me which versions of Intel and AMD AHCI and VGA drivers from Windows Legacy Update are the most stable and well-tested for now, please?
  3. I just downloaded this and ran it, and although apparently nothing happened visually, it did work. I thought those files didn't work on XP any more? Anyway, I guess that's the last one. Microsoft Update offered a definition update, but always failed with error 0x800700F, which is something to do with failing a licence check. MSE itself goes through the motions and then fails with an unspecified "network problem". The definition being offered by MS Update was 1.293.20.0, which is later than the one I just installed, which is 1.291.2489.0. I don't know which one is actually current (there seems to be a big gap between them!) but MSE seems happy at the moment that it's up to date.
  4. Today
  5. Ok that looks better. --) Wonder how long before Mozilla starts complaining about copyright or something.
  6. Hi Pythoners, I have quite an unusual problem here. I have newest python 2 and python 3 installed together with python launcher and PIP, all coming from newest, official installers from python.org. And I wanted to install Spyder IDE for them. For various reasons I am not going with Anaconda, as they suggest, or any other python distro like python(x, y) or WinPython. I decided for the PIP way spyder3 went smooth, I just needed to: pip3 install pyqt5 pip3 install spyder And it works like a charm. Hovewer, spyder 2 is not that easy. For pyqt for python 2 is not avaliable via pip, so it looks like buildig from source, as described here, is the only way that will work for me. Unfortunately, it requires having sip for python, which is also not available via pip and one have to build using source code. And this is the moment I am quite lost. I managed to run configure.py using python 2, all paths were valid, I managed to find makefile files it created... and don't know what to do next. SIP installation instruction assumes that reader can use "make" command and is experienced in C\C++ building, and I'm not at all. I googled a bit and tried to use nmake, simply passing my makefile as a parameter, but only got a response "cannot build" What I need a hand with: First, I would like to get that built and installed. this case simply got me curious. Secondly, I don't even know if this will allow me to install spyder2 using pip2, and this is my ultimate goal. My setup is Win10 Enterprise, major build 1703, and a Visual Studio express 2015 - and "enterprise" means, I cannot use any other. Any help is welcome.
  7. win32

List of unsupported feature by/for Windows XP

It is just as stable as vanilla Windows 2000 and still very fast, though competing with Server 2003 x86 (and apparently XP x64) in performance. On my ThinkPad T60 I get "unknown hard error" dialogs from time to time, though the OS never crashes, and the software rarely does.
  8. deomsh

Audio driver for Realtek HD Audio Hardware?

@Dave-H: I finished the Realtek ALC883 HDAICOUT.HDA. If you'de like to test: rename your working version to HDAICOUT.OKE , rename the new file to HDAICOUT.HDA , copy to your %windir% and reboot. Please attach HDAICIN.TXT Dave-H_ALC883_Hdaicout.hda.200
  9. Jody Thornton

And just how stable is Windows 2000 with KernelEx? Does it slow down the OS any?
  10. win32

All of @roytam1's browsers work with the extended kernel, as do most XP-compatible software titles, and a few smaller utilities for Windows 7 and up (Throttlestop, Acrobat Reader DC off the top of my head). The universal Boingo WLAN client supports more EAP methods than the XP SP2 native client. If you don't do DX10+ gaming or need modern MTP support, Windows 2000 still goes very far.
  11. alacran

WinNTSetup v3.9.4

Hi JFX: I think I saw a single file download for "Recompress Compact OS" for 7 and 8.x, some time ago, but I can't find it, maybe it was lost during server crash, do you still have it? alacran
  12. Hi, Is it possible to change Windows 10 Setup Background. If possible, how ?
  13. Jody Thornton

How usable is Windows 2000 these days? I actually preferred it to XP (that was until the x64 Edition came to be)
  14. Jody Thornton

Microsoft security essentials and Windows XP

So even the 4.304.4 version won't work after this? I was finding that on my folks system (especially when browsing) that the CPU fan went into high gear (same for my old Vista system). comodo improved that. For those who stayed on MSE, was it still slow?
  15. Bersaglio

Microsoft security essentials and Windows XP

It seems that Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows XP support has been dropped. Latest XP-compatible definitions https://definitionupdates.microsoft.com/download/DefinitionUpdates/VersionedSignatures/AM/1.291.2489.0/x86/mpam-fe.exe Attention: Link will not live long, download ASAP if You need it.
  16. Vistaboy

Newest Adobe Flash and Shockwave, and Java, too!

That are good starting point. I made use of little registry mods. Generally in a fresh installed XP i always launched the last working XP installer (151/152) to install JAVA and then brutally extract the new .exe installer (jre-8u211-windows-i586.exe) and replace it in the programs file. The dream would be a little cmd workaround that automate the process to get last updated java.
  17. Yours lack the processor architecture bits, so it's actually: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
  18. jaclaz

Win 7, no USB drivers

Yep, that's it. Maybe then they are not the "right" drivers. Please try again as in the post https://msfn.org/board/topic/178354-win-7-no-usb-drivers/ But click on the tab "Details" to get the PCI\VEN & DEV. This madness usually happens when there is a (bad/wrong/whatever) driver included in the OS that "prevails" on the new one, but shouldn't happen in your case because you are in Code 28, i.e. no drivers installed. You can still try with pnputil: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/pnputil-command-syntax https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/devtest/pnputil-examples but before that let's check the actual PCI\VEN & DEV of the "unknown device" jaclaz
  19. Hi, I noticed that in the "Office Suites" list is not present: https://www.ssuiteoffice.com/freedownloads.htm I personally use Softmaker FreeOffice 2016 (this is also missing) but I would be interested in some feedback. TH.
  20. Thomas S.

Newest Adobe Flash and Shockwave, and Java, too!

Here is a modified REG, see the comments. I have many non edited keys deleted, so do not use it as install ressource. It is used to switch from v201 to v211, Java program home path is "C:\Programme\Java". I hold the latest under XP working v151 MSI file for deinstallation in the personal program data path. Be carefull, it is all I edit in the registry, may be you need other / more / less key names... Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 ######### delete old key ########### ############## EDITED ############## [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.8.0_201] #### write new key and subkeys ##### ############## EDITED ############## [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.8.0_211] "JavaHome"="C:\\Programme\\Java" "MicroVersion"="0" "RuntimeLib"="C:\\Programme\\Java\\bin\\client\\jvm.dll" ############## EDITED ############## [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\1.8.0_211\MSI] "INSTALLDIR"="C:\\Programme\\Java\\" "JU"="" "OEMUPDATE"="" "FROMVERSION"="NA" "FROMVERSIONFULL"="" ############## EDITED ############## "PRODUCTVERSION"="8.0.2110.12" "EULA"="" "JAVAUPDATE"="1" "AUTOUPDATECHECK"="1" "AUTOUPDATEDELAY"="" ############## EDITED ############## "FullVersion"="1.8.0_211-b12" ## string for software information # [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JreMetrics] ############## EDITED ############## "JreVersion"="1.8.0_211-b12" ## string for software information # [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\4EA42A62D9304AC4784BF2238110150F] ############## EDITED ############## "ProductName"="Java 8 Update 211-b12" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\4EA42A62D9304AC4784BF2238110150F\SourceList] ############## EDITED ############## "PackageName"="jre1.8.0_211.msi" # string for software uninstall information # [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{26A24AE4-039D-4CA4-87B4-2F32180151F0}] ############## EDITED ############## "DisplayVersion"="8.0.2110.12" ############## EDITED ############## "InstallDate"="20190420" ############ NOT EDITED ############ xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx YOUR PATH TO LOCAL PROGRAM DATA xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx "InstallSource"="C:\\ xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx YOUR PATH TO LOCAL PROGRAM DATA xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx \\Oracle\\Java\\jre1.8.0_151\\" ############## EDITED ############## "DisplayName"="Java 8 Update 211" ## string for software information # [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\4EA42A62D9304AC4784BF2238110150F\InstallProperties] ############## EDITED ############## "DisplayVersion"="8.0.2110.12" ############## EDITED ############## "InstallDate"="20190420" ############ NOT EDITED ############ xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx YOUR PATH TO LOCAL PROGRAM DATA xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx "InstallSource"="C:\\ xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx YOUR PATH TO LOCAL PROGRAM DATA xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx \\Oracle\\Java\\jre1.8.0_151\\" ############## EDITED ############## "DisplayName"="Java 8 Update 211"
  21. Asp

Win 7, no USB drivers

Not a friend, someone I asked on a Thinkpad forum. Don't want to nag them. Anyway, this does not seem to involve any non-MS drivers, First thing I tried. same result, no drivers. I also tried unhiding all devices and then deleting all the USB devices -- did a hardware scan and back to the same "unknown devices" How do you "force" install? I try "update driver", give it the location of the unzipped files, and it just says "Could not find driver software".
  22. ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

KernelEx 4.5 Core Updates (4.5.2016.17)

I am logged in, but the download will not start...could you make it a mega or google drive download? That way we can access the files even when MSFN is down. EDIT: appears to be an issue with google chrome, it worked on firefox
  23. Sampei.Nihira

Missing email client in the Start Menu.

But also New Moon is distributed as .7z package.............. In "StartMenuInternet" folder there is even a previous Basilisk installation. No reference in the "Mail" folder to Interlink. Then the string Pale Moon is present in the registry key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Clients\StartMenuInternet" and in the registry key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail" remains the Thunderbird string.
  24. Sampei.Nihira

Latest Version of Software Running on XP

I advise users who have installed previous versions from Videohelp to uninstall the previous version with registry cleaning and deletion of the DAUM folder in programs and then proceed with a new installation. I usually use Iobit Uninstaller portable + CCleaner. I have verified that an installation above the previous version increases the space occupied in HD.
  25. This is what I have for 60esr: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0 That's Waterfox's current string?
  26. roytam1

Missing email client in the Start Menu.

yeah this could be the reason. since I use classic start menu in XP, never thought about this issue.
  27. tomasz86

Unofficial SP 5.2 for Microsoft Windows 2000 (WIP)

You are right. I can confirm that something is indeed very wrong. I would actually say that this is a critical bug. I am pulling the FullPack from the download Archive for now. I will have to test whether it is another component butchering the installation, or HFSIP2000 itself. I am very sorry for the situation. I am not using Windows 2000 as my daily OS anymore, and no one had reported these problems before, so I had no clue. I will try to find a solution as soon as possible.
  1. Load more activity