Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Thanks, I will try. But I'm still not sure that it works on Firefox 45 ESR SSE. Will find that out.
  3. Power on count is more interesting... You never restart it except updates and power outages, right?
  4. Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin creates the folder C:\PFiles\ or D:\PFiles\ Drag and drop folder Plugins in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\browser , near folders extensions and features ViewTube: "Works with firefox 48.0 and later". I use Firefox 48.0.2 Basic K-Lite Codec Pack
  5. Today
  6. UPDATE! I have noticed that in Firefox 45 ESR based browsers, reducing the size of tiles, contributes to increase performance. So, I have reduced the tile size from 256x256 to 4x4, increasing the overall smoothness of scrolling in a page. Only the 45 ESR version has been updated, because doing the same on 38 ESR and 52 ESR based browsers, on the other hand, is detrimental to performance. Please update and let me know how it performs on your machine. Thanks!
  7. I'm quite certain you are wasting your time. As stated in Last versions of software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, the last version of Comodo IceDragon to support Vista was 52.0.0.4, which was of course forked from Firefox 52 and was only available in 32 bit. Here's a Comodo thread from January 2018 in which staff member Shane states, "We confirm Comodo Ice Dragon 57+ won't support XP and Vista." Regarding Windows XP, there's another old Comodo thread in which OP states that he couldn't install version 57 or even 52, so 49 may have been the last XP-compatible version.
  8. Windows XP Spotted on a cash register! not my picture but when i saw it i knew i needed to post it here!
  9. It is annoying. The Mozilla devs, after they finally got both tiled compositing and asynchronous pan and zoom working in 45 ESR, weren't happy about something that worked properly and decided to break it again. Almost deliberately. 😬
  10. nope, NM26 doesn't come with MediaSource so LAV dlls won't work with NM26
  11. Judging from what @looking4awayout put in post 1, the main difference is that tiled compositing and async pan/zoom are disabled in the FF 52 version. So I'd say NM 28, SM 2.49, BNavigator, and Serpent 52 & 55 should all use the FF 52 patch, since tiled compositing is broken in FF 52 (and so, presumably in all its derivatives too).
  12. Not sure if this will work, but your best hope is probably @roytam1's NM 26.5 build, here: ... plus one of his LAV codec packs: Download following packages for your browser edition(32bit/64bit) and extract DLLs to same place as palemoon.exe lives. 32bit LAV dlls are in separated package (extracted from K-Lite codec pack 13.5.5) https://o.rths.ml/palemoon/lav.7z Just in case if you have an older processor which has no SSE instruction set support: 32bit NoSSE (ffmpeg 3.1.1 lite build) https://o.rths.ml/palemoon/lav-dll-lite-mmx.7z 32bit No ASM (ffmpeg 3.1.1 lite build, if build above doesn't work on your processor) https://o.rths.ml/palemoon/lav-dll-lite-noasm.7z 64bit LAV dlls are in separated package (LAV Filters 64bit 0.70.2) https://o.rths.ml/palemoon/lav64.7z
  13. It's fine. But what browsers exactly should utilize this patch? Should serpent 52 use the FF52 patch or just the usual FF45 version?
  14. It looks better than on XP, at least. There are missing imports, but they are in "delayed-load" .dll's. Hard to tell if they'll stop it from running, but they won't stop it from at least loading (if the minimum Windows version can be patched to 6.0, that is). So I guess there's still hope for Vista.
  15. Just a fun topic, if anyone wants to see what kind of life their old hard disks have. After my recent panic of experiencing a disk failure that contained critical data at the office, I had realised that I had never had done a backup at home. So I had gone out and bought an external hard disk with some backup software. Before doing so, I decided to check out the Power On Hours of three of the four HDDs in the system, to see how long I had really gone dodging a data loss bullet. These disks are all in my "daily driver" Windows 7 32bit PC which I had posted about in the Windows 7 Uptime thread. First up is a SATA disk Western Digital 80 GB WD800AAJS-00B4A0 with Power On Hours of 90701 (3779 days, 10.3 years) But then there is this IDE data drive, Maxtor 80 GB 6L080L4 with Power On Hours of 139645 (5818 days, 15.9 years) And this other IDE HDD, Maxtor 20 GB 6L020J1 with Power On Hours of 139783 (5824 days, 15.9 years) The two IDE HDDs were from my Windows XP computer. I even remember buying that 20 GB disk at CompUSA for $100.
  16. Sure, but to be honest I don't know what to exactly look at:
  17. <pedantic> It's "bus." "Buss" is an old English word for "kiss." </pedantic> But seriously, thanks for this; I'll work it into my batch file soon (sorry @i430VX).
  18. The "Intel(R) 7 Series... Universal Serial Bus (USB) Controller - 1E31" is the XHCI(USB3) controller, the device which you need to install the universal usb3 drivers for. Get the universal USB3 driver here: https://www.win-raid.com/t4035f45-Windows-XP-Bit-and-Server-Bit-on-Modern-Hardware-148.html#msg87125 (Based on AMDXHCI; PREREQUISITE: Latest x86 acpi.sys file from the same link; made by daniel_k). Right click on that device, select update, install from a list or specific location, search for best driver... include this location in search and direct it to the unpacked folder with the XHCI drivers. If this won't work, right click on that device, select update, install from a list or specific location, choose "don't search, i will choose a driver to install", use Have Disk method, browse to the folder with the unpacked files and choose the 'amdxhc.inf' file. Choose "Intel(R) USB3.1 eXtensible Host Controller"
  19. Good to know; thanks! I use it on my Win 7 system quite a bit, but since the XP system is a VM, there's not much point in trying it there.... Edit: Since it does work, I added a link to their download page to my previous post above.
  20. Well, they said it would work: ... but it won't run, at least not OOTB: I installed it on XP anyway, just to run Dependency Walker. And (no surprise), there are unresolved dependencies in KERNEL32.DLL: AcquireSRWLockExclusive AcquireSRWLockShared ... and in ADVAPI32.DLL: RegGetValueW So, it looks like a dry hole, folks. Despite claims, it does not run on XP. @kitaro1 must be running it on Win 7 or later. But on Win 7, I'd pick Waterfox over IceDragon, at least if I had a 64-bit CPU (which I do). I suppose there's still (slim) hope for Vista. @Kwasiarz, can you check your installation with Dependency Walker? If there are unresolved dependencies, there's no point in trying to patch the min. Windows version to let it run on Vista. But I think the first two above are in Vista, so it's worth checking. Oh, and @3dreal, no one ever claimed this would run on SSE-only CPUs. It would still have been surprising had it run on XP or Vista with an SSE2 CPU!
  21. NEWS! I have officially ported the UOC Patch to Firefox 52 ESR based browsers. I had the chance to test the 45 ESR version on the official Firefox 52 ESR and regular Firefox 56, and I was pretty much disappointed by something that I thought would have been taken for granted: tiled compositing and asynchronous pan and zoom after 45 ESR has been broken by Mozilla, and never fixed! So, I had no other choice than disable those two features, prompting me to release a 52 ESR-and-upwards specific version of the UOC Patch. So now, any browser that uses such a version as a codebase, can be optimized to run better. This new version uses the UOC Enforcer for 45 ESR based browsers, which now is known as the UOC Enforcer for 45 and 52 ESR based browsers. But bear in mind this important thing: You will need a 128 bit buss or even better, a 256 bit buss graphics card. I have done the porting of the UOC Patch for 52 ESR based browsers on a Pentium 4 Prescott system fitted with a 64 bit buss graphics card (ATI Radeon X300SE), and the performance increment was negligible at its best, due to the bottleneck caused by the graphics card. So if you want the fastest performance you can achieve with a Mozilla-based browser, I recommend you to go with Roytam1's Firefox 45 ESR SSE, since it has an actual working implementation of tiled compositing and asynchronous pan and zoom (which indeed is enabled by default in the 45 ESR version of the UOC Patch), unless you have a capable graphics card that can fully accelerate the browser even without the offending features. The newer Firefox builds never cease to amaze me, unfortunately in a negative way.
  22. I think they just "forget" to update their website after they changed their base.
  23. OK, I bought an used laptop Dell Latitude E6230 wth Windows 7 Pro installed on it (and Intel USB 3.0 drivers installed, I checked the devices manager). For me it was the perfect candidate for testing the modded USB 3.0 drivers because it has all drivers for XP except the Intel USB 3.0 drivers. I used a disk image of Windows XP Pro SP3 prepared with Sysprep and 5,7 GB of drivers from DriverPacks injected into the disk image. With the genuine acpi.sys and acpi.inf files : No yellow marks, all is working as expected, the USB ports are in 2.0 mode. Now with the modded acpi.sys and acpi.inf files (I injected the files via Hiren's Boot CD before the first start of the disk image and the execution of Sysprep) : Now, step by step, how to install the modded USB 3.0 drivers ? On the pictures, do not made aware of the name of the computer, it's a E6230 ! Best regards
  24. Just to say that Partition Wizard 11.5 does run fine on XP.
  25. I downloaded the win32 version (https://download.comodo.com/icedragon/update/icedragonsetup.exe), installed it as portable app, ran it and got the same complaint that it is not a valid win32 application. So it cannot run on XP despite the claim.
  26. @ blackwingcat: I found now Exkernel 30e CAN be slipstreamed, but DVD has to be changed according to DVD2017. Only few access right problems have to be solved with hfguirunonce, e.g. shockwave player will not install. Greetings Joe
  1. Load more activity