Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. c.lee

How many will continue using XP?

When Fedora got rid of 32 bit support and the 4-gig DVD iso it basically became a POS. I quite frankly don't want to be tied to an online installer for something like this.
  3. Jaguarek62

Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista

In my case it was strangely due to vmware services. i disabled them and vista was stable again. very strange..
  4. Yes, it breaks all Office 2010 apps on XP; not just Excel and Word. Even breaks free 2010 apps like the PowerPoint Viewer. I don't think it breaks any earlier versions of Office though. Well, the update you linked to is 4494528! The support page explains that it fixes a problem with an earlier update, 4486464. But AFAIK you still need to run regsvr32 MSI.DLL after installing it; I haven't heard that M$ re-released it with that mistake fixed. (Even if they did, it won't hurt to run that command anyway.)
  5. What is the processor? EDIT: I do not think that it is possible to run Windows XP on that machine. You could try, but you probably would have to put in quite the effort and money to get the OS working correctly. Moreover, I think that you might need to get an external GPU, because I am not aware of there being drivers for that PC's graphics card for XP.
  6. farfigs11

Audio driver for Realtek HD Audio Hardware?

posting from Firefox 9.01 in 98SE so I'm not sure how well this will look. attached are the files. I've installed HDA on my Precision M90 and sounds works. no surprise since it's identical to the 9400. The waveout doesn't seem to have an effect on the volume HDAcfg.ini Hdalog.txt
  7. cephead

Microsoft security essentials and Windows XP

Thank you, had to run it twice as the first time it said the virus definitions were corrupt.
  8. Today
  9. Mathwiz

It may not have worked because of having to use the web proxy. If an add-on filters according to where the content is coming from, everything "looks" like it comes from the proxy, so nothing gets filtered. uB0 seemed to work; it's filtering works differently.
  10. someguy25

Adblock and AdblockPlus never really worked for me. I recommend you to try out uBlock Origin
  11. Does Office 2010 update KB4462223, which seems to be part of April 9 updates, last modified March 19th, cause problems for Excel and Word as someone earlier stated? And all the earlier talk about KB4494528 breaking Windows Installer unless it's followed by regsvr32 MSI.DLL, is that automatically taken care of by this update which was also included in automatic updates? Thanks, everyone.
  12. DrWho3000

I did gather that , I do use AdblockPlus with elementhiderhelper with loads of filters, yet it didn't seem to work on there
  13. Mathwiz

Beware any time you see that - it's a deceptive advertisement! If you "update" you will get a PUP I recommend you install an ad-blocker add-on, so you won't see those deceptive ads any more. If you have no favorite, try the one I use: uBlock Origin: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/
  14. CharlieSummers

You are my hero, sir!
  15. DrWho3000

managed to get it on webproxy afte clicking download 2 or 3 times, it eventually served it up well tried the updater and it installed latest ide's ok
  16. heinoganda

Try it via download via webproxy. The censorship has meanwhile hit Germany as well. Unfortunately I can not write what I think, there is no free internet anymore, only censorship!
  17. Leifman

Possible to get Skype 8 up and running on XP?

Yep. exactly the same here (tho it did end up connecting for me eventually.. so i reckon if u keep it on it will at some point connect and stop the endless 'connecting' while still appearing fine and showing ur list and being able to message/receive messages) but i really find the breaking on the web skype a bummer :( for some reason, spoofing the version of the browser/OS doesn't work for me BUT i found out that using firefox 50 and using this : https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/firefox/addon/skype-web-ff then somehow the skype for web loads fine on Firefox 50. but that's the problem for me... i find skype for web HORRIBLE laggy and unusable on firefox 50 or i assume even more later versions... and i can't run this app on 'mypal' (which is a palemoon, firefox 27 or 28 fork) which is where i always used my skype for web :(
  18. DrWho3000

clicking on downlooad here I get a 403 error and the webproxy takes me else where and wnats me to update flash, which flashplayer is upto date how do we get to the file
  19. heinoganda

Microsoft Security Essentials Definition Updater update to version 1.7 Adjustment for support end of MSE
  20. @VistaLover...Thank you for the detailed explanation re:newmoon versions..understand a bit better now.
  21. Where can i find full 4.5.2016.18, 4.5.2016.19 and 4.5.2016.20?
  22. Mathwiz

To be fair, that was in 2009. I haven't seen a recent ranking; it may have improved since then.
  23. Dave-H

Audio driver for Realtek HD Audio Hardware?

Hi again, yes that works fine! It was Line In 1 that I had to enable to get sound from the capture card, and it works perfectly. I'm not sure what Line In 2 actually is, there is only one physical line input. My previous motherboard, which was a X7DAL-E, not an X7DAL-E+, with the AC97 hardware, did have an "Aux" input socket on the board, physically the same as the CD audio input socket, in addition to the Line In jack on the rear, so perhaps that's it in some configuration. The X7DAL-E+ doesn't have that socket though.
  24. The preference name is just general.useragent.override, not "general.useragent.overridepreference." I don't know where you got that. You are correct that it is a string. The format of a Firefox user agent string is Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT %OSVersion%; [WOW64;] rv:%BrowserVersion%) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/%BrowserVersion%. Note that everything has to be exact, including the spacing. That's tripped me up before. Type everything in bold exactly as above. Replace %OSVersion% with: 5.1 to report XP 6.0 to report Vista 6.1 to report Windows 7 6.2 to report Windows 8 6.3 to report Windows 8.1 10.0 to report Windows 10 You can include the WOW64; to report a 64-bit Windows version (usually not necessary). Replace %BrowserVersion% with the version of Firefox you want to report. Note that versions 57.0 and above will break Instagram, as reported in that thread. However, anything below 60.0 will cause WhatIsMyBrowser.com to report an "obsolete" browser. The only way to fix both issues is with "site-specific " user agent overrides, so that you can send different user agent strings to Instagram.com and WhatIsMyBrowser.com. Please read @VistaLover's post above for the instructions on enabling those.
  25. Hi, I currently use Thunderbird on a desk top with Vista. I get a weekly newsletter and about 4 weeks ago I started getting this message when I tried to open these emails : "Thunderbird and files.constantconnect.com cannot communicate security because they have no common encryption algorithms." Since I did not make any changes to my settings, then obviously something changed with the sender or the sender's email server. Any idea of how to fix this ? Thanks.
  26. can someone help I have this string ggeneral.useragent.overridepreference; Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:70.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/70.0 yet on what is my browser it says it is out ouf date, have I got it wrong i tried Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64;rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0 no go is there another change I need to make to make it report 53 or 54 it did seem to report ok upto date until I did a FF reset, now it doesn't this is what I have general.useragent.overide;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:53.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/53. 0 general.useragent.overridepreference;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
  1. Load more activity