Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. I guess peeps are working on a couple unofficial patches.
  3. no more iTunes Store for XP/Vista from May 2018

I've never used itunes and never will. paying for low bitrate encoded tracks that are infested with DRM no thanks. Maybe great to non audiophile cucks but not me.
  4. Today
  5. Apple dropping support for windows xp and vista in may for itunes https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208104
  6. Screen mirroring from Laptop

If anyone knows something else I can try please feel free to suggest it
  7. Yesterday
  8. Well, you're sure getting better at it all the time!
  9. Den, Den, Den ... Did I ever say I know what I'm doing?
  10. By the way, since this might be related to the demise of SHA-1 and I must move my emails to my Win 7 / 10 machine, what email app do you recommend? I was thinking Outlook 2016 (which I know from work but it seems too complicated for home use) or Thunderbird (which I have never seen). I like OE6 because it's simple and has never failed. But it's gone gone gone.
  11. Well ... in desperation I called the AOL tech support help number and ACTUALLY GOT THROUGH TO SOMEONE IN ONLY 20 MINUTES. He explained this is a known issue on their side since last night, and he was kind enough to say it to me four times so I could stop crying over the imminent demise of my duct-taped XP machine. He also confirmed my ancient OE6 settings as correct. (Maybe I'm jinxing myself by reporting this now before they actually fix it? Hopefully not, in which case I shall remain your humble expert in FALSE ALARMS.) Thanks again to Dave-H and Heinoganda for infinite patience, and apologies to Heinoganda for any implied criticism of the Cert_Updater.
  12. Root Certificates and Revoked Certificates for Windows XP

In this case I use a local HTTPS proxy server.
  13. Heinoganda - yes I understand. But that may mean my days with XP are over. I keep my XP machine going principally for the continuing email. There is no way back to yesterday?
  14. Root Certificates and Revoked Certificates for Windows XP

@glnz It is quite simple, Microsoft deletes root certificates that are considered insecure with each update of the root certificates. Was explained here why: Well, if then current encryption technology is used where Windows XP is not supported, it comes to this error. Do not just read the last comment! From here:
  15. Of course the 2nd link does have it! Of course, it'll only download if you click on the green "download" button! The file is signed and the signature is valid, so it's all right. The 1st one is just the KB text FYI.
  16. no more iTunes Store for XP/Vista from May 2018

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if retailers would do the same. Let's say that Walmart (just for the sake of the example) puts up in stores a sign to the effect of: Since we have a minority of users over 80 and assisting them costs us too much we have decided that effective May 25, 2018, noone over the age of 80, unless accompanied by a younger adult, will be served or allowed on the premises. Would you imagine the public scandal and shaming? jaclaz
  17. Dave - H and Heinoganda - I think it's possible that the certificate updates I did this morning with Heinoganda's Cert_Updater changed something. Is there a way to retrieve what it deleted or changed? (A System Restore to yesterday does not fix the problem.)
  18. Yeah. It never ends...
  19. Ah right! It's only an issue with the thread notification e-mails for me, it's just annoying to have to dismiss error messages all the time, but why does it seem to only affect the avatars? The text still appears fine, and when I dismiss the error message, the only apparent change is that the users' avatars appear instead of an empty square.
  20. XP task bar vertical?

Naaah, I would say He has more important - no offence intended - matters to deal with. In case of need, there is a small nice command line from the good guys at CTRL-ALT-DEL: http://www.ctrl-alt-del.com.au/CAD_TSUtils.htm Search on the page for "TSTBARSET", here is the doc: http://www.ctrl-alt-del.com.au/files/TSTbarSet.txt and direct download: http://www.ctrl-alt-del.com.au/files/TSTbarSet.zip jaclaz
  21. Yes, since MSFN switched to HTTPS fairly recently The workaround would seem to be not to use IE (or any other XP cert management and TLS implementation dependent browser) or OE in connection with this site. Or maybe to use the proxy @heinoganda often mentions around here.
  22. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208104
  23. Ah, that would certainly explain it! Is there any way around that? It has only started happening fairly recently.
  24. XP task bar vertical?

I don't know what happened, suddenly it is at the bottom like it used to be. i have to tell the Pope. But now the taskbar displays the captions from the desktop: My Documents, My Computer, My Network Places, Recycle Bin. Maybe that will disappear all by itself. But my latest installation of XP to the new SSD went smoothly!
  25. @glnz @Dave-H If you look at the IP address, msfn.org and trisomija21.org are on the same server, and since XP doesn't support SNI in TLS handshakes, you're not sent the correct msfn.org certificate when connecting, but the default trisomija21.org one. Presumably the same thing happening with Outlook Express. EDIT: It's been such a long time since I stopped using OE that I can't recall if it has an option to disable remote images by default or not. If it does, I'd recommend disabling them for better security and tracking protection, regardless of this particular certificate issue that has cropped up now that MSFN has switched to HTTPS.
  26. XP task bar vertical?

Maybe a video would help? jaclaz
  27. @glnz Look at the certificate you sent. it is issued to http://www.trisomija21.org/ I'm not an expert, but I'd expect a certificate issued to MSFN, when receiving mail from MSFN. Just like the website does have
  28. Root Certificates and Revoked Certificates for Windows XP

Then it is probably due to an unsupported encryption technology, send you a PN with my HTTPS proxy for a test on Windows XP.
  1. Load more activity