Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Windows XP License

theres no difference between a SP2 license and a vanilla license. A license for XP is a license for XP provided that it is not a blocked license due to piracy reporting. Service packs install or slipstream regardless. There is a difference in the media only by changing the pid in the setupp.ini you can convert like a retail disc to accept OEM keys or a OEM disc to accept retail keys etc.
  3. Windows XP License

Is it on a sticker on a PC? I would say it's not legal to sell, BUT people would still buy it (like me because I'm getting a new ThinkPad that probably won't come with one. I'd say it's probably worth something, especially if it's at least an SP2 license! Most people wouldn't want to bother with anything older.
  4. Today
  5. Thanks, that was a great help!
  6. Hello everyone! I have been using Mozilla Firefox ESR as my main Web browser for the big "social media" which demand all the latest "HTML5" and JavaScript dingledongles and multimedia support. I have just received a notification that the latest update, 52.6.0 ESR, is now available for download. I read the release notes and it says that the update includes a patch to mitigate the new Spectre vulnerability. Before I irreversibly alter my system by updating, I wonder Would this update cause intolerable slowdown to a browser which is tasked daily with loading some of the slowest, most horrible Web sites ever to be constructed, or Would it be stupid to forgo this update because of the security risk, being online, as well as all the other security updates that are part of this package. Thanks, Thomas
  7. Windows XP License

Licenses like that are not transferable. If it was a new license unopened w/ unused sticker and meadia you could sell a OEM license with accompanying hardware only like a CPU or a motherboard or just a graphics card.. Provided that it is not past some sort of date that MS has set. But if its a old license no. You can only sell that license with the computer it is on. So if you still have the computer like even if it is broken you could technically sell the broken computer /w license.m ofcourse he person who buys such a thing could do anything they want with the lcense at that point but it is illegal to specify that. My guess is there is not a lot of demand for such a thing, and an XP license is worthless pretty much even if its a legit license. I cannot say why that is on here but I think most people just pirate XP at this point and don't care. It's like the person who goes on antique roadshow and thinks they really have something only to find out there are billions of copys of it and is also faked a lot.
  8. Yesterday
  9. Windows XP License

I have an old Windows XP Professional OEM license. Main question is if there's a way that it's legal to sell. The machine that it was on has long since failed and I've long since moved on to something else. The language I'm seeing when I search this question is kind of sketchy. Any ideas?
  10. Kext: DIY KernelEx extensions

After change of KernelEx 4.5.2 to 4.5.2016.17 on my "test system" Ren'py still runs. So probably it isn't a problem of KernelEX. r3muxd, you should start a new topic here in the Windows 9x/ME forum. Or maybe you had expected other tests?
  11. Hello, I bought a licence for Aero Glass for WIn10 10.0.16299, everything works fine, but at Windows boot still appear a well known small window with "Your DWM is incompatible". I think, this is a question for Big Muscle, but does anyone know how to get rid off this annoying window? The "Again" button in this window does not work. In fact, it looks like that: Thank you for help, Peter
  12. Lack of Linux Enthusiasm

As a matter of fact the point is exactly that (with all due exceptions ) most people here are not "fans" of one Os or the other, they are (largely) "simple" users of it, more or less desperately trying to have the stupid thingy work as it should, in some cases (please read as "often") notwithstanding the efforts of the good MS guys to make Windows (you choose) either Android or an X-Box. You can also whine about the lack of Linux talks here. The worst that can happen to you is that jaclaz would reply with some sarcastic note. Who knows? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Que_Sera,_Sera_(Whatever_Will_Be,_Will_Be) Maybe, just maybe, you could start some Linux related topics and see if there is response in the audience. jaclaz
  13. Just choose the minimum amount available and that will do the job for you. The license is very cheap, you could also consider donating more so that you've extra keys available for you.
  14. If you donate an unknown/unstated but sufficient amount of money to the developer he will likely send you via e-mail a code/file/number that allows to disable the watermark and pop-up, The Author has decided to follow this model which is NOT the sale of a license. You show him your appreciation (by sending him what you believe is an appropriate amount of money to support the development) and he may (if he believes the amount adequate) give you one or more codes/files/numbers, Not that it makes much sense to most people, but this is how he decided to manage the stuff. jaclaz
  15. This sure is a ginormous janfu! In any case, even if Intel gets its act together, I doubt they'll ever release BIOS updates for any processor older than the currenly supported ones (and maybe the latest to reach EoL, that being the 6th gen ones). Every user of any previous processors is on his/her own, no matter what Intel releases. Not very bright as a perspective, but thankfully most of this Meltdown/Spectre talk is FUD, anyway... And may be a heaven sent way to get people to upgrade hardware, provided they come up with something "safe," before eventually crashing & burning for the lack of it.
  16. hi how do you get full version of aero glass 8 without water marks and pop ups please there is nothing on the web page about it
  17. Hi

Welcome to the MSFN!
  18. Lack of Linux Enthusiasm

I think there are a fair amount of Linux users on this forum, they just don't seem to talk about it very much, outside of the side comment "I also use this."
  19. Both would do nicely . Use as reference NOT the first post of this thread, but rather the CarterinCanada's guide: After having duly read/understood the: AND the: The last two explain - among other things - why the adapters/converters you found are OK. jaclaz
  20. Always leave 2 days late for updates. So if there are errors, Microsoft removes them from the catalog before they are installed.
  21. Windows 10 TTK Tweak Toolkit

if anyone is still interested, i'm still working on removing stuff from windows 10 that is the modern components, leaving the win32 stuff untouched. i'm in the process of sorting registry keys and categorising the lot, lots of guesswork and testing of removals... split things into the following categories; (bracketed numbers equal components selected for removal) core (21) example CCortana core_immersive (10) example CICortana immersive (15) examaple ISearch windows_runtime (26) example Windows.Devices.Lights related components (22) stuff related to above but in it's own catagory i'm just guessing what C, CI & I mean in front of some reg entries, so gone with the above. when i'm done it'll be uploaded to my onedrive.
  22. I would like to echo the request, I understand trying to keep the glass title-bar on modern-apps is not really feasible anymore so I would like an option to completely ignore Modern Apps with Aero Glass if possible as the mix it is at the moment doesn't look good.
  23. There is also a way to make Firefox ignore any Windows 10 theme specifications, although I'm not sure if this would help in this particular case. To try this do the following: First grab these two programs and install them. Resource Hacker: http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/ Notepad++: https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v7.5.3.html Now open firefox.exe in Resource Hacker and navigate to 24 --> 1 --> 1033 and you should see a bunch of text on the right side of Resource Hacker. Scroll all the way to the bottom till you see four lines starting with: <supportedOS Id= delete the first line so only three supportedOS Id= lines remain and then press on Compile Script. Then just save the file under a new name anywhere. After that open the new .exe file you saved with Notepad++, don't change anything but just go to "Save as..." and save it with yet another filename, then just rename that file to firefox.exe and replace your actual firefox.exe with it. Start Firefox and enjoy The last step with re-saving the file with Notepad++ may seem weird and unnecessary but for some reason saving the file like that forces the compiled manifest to be updated so Firefox "forgets" what Windows 10 is.
  24. Happy new year! I got a STM3500320AS drive that seems to have this exact BSY problem. It seems to receive power and doesn't make any loud noises, but isn't recognized by Windows nor the BIOS. I don' know much about soldering and was wondering if a USB-Serial cable like the ones in the following links would do the trick in order to access the HD via HyperTerminal: Ali Express Local reseller Also, it seems the images in the first post are broken. I need to know where should I connect each plug lol Is there any updated tutorial that maybe requires less equipment? Thanks.
  25. Intel withdraws Updates Last update: 23.01.2018 09:54 am Intel has found bugs in the updates against the serious vulnerabilities in its computer processors. The industry giant warned against installing the latest versions. Intel German ARD Tagesschau Heise security
  26. https://msfn.org/board/uploads/css_built_*_custom.css.* New content to block
  1. Load more activity