Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Force close programs on shutdown

Seems like it was working on NT 4.0 also, though registry path is slightly different, http://www.angelfire.com/az/TucsonCactus/NThacks.htm : And also for NT 3.5: https://web.archive.org/web/20070807211633/http://support.microsoft.com/kb/123058 But the OP is still presumably about 9x, where I don't think that it would, maybe on Me? Or maybe it does http://franck.kiechel.free.fr/dbr_eng/Shutdown.htm jaclaz
  3. Force close programs on shutdown

Perhaps it was only the WaitToKillAppTimeout entry that was used for NT 4.
  4. Today
  5. Plop contains part of the needed code. Many more BIOS services would need to be emulated. An EFI Program that transfers control to the BIOS Emulator would also be needed. Intel published a specification for CSM that might be helpful.
  6. This has been known for some time. What about a workaround, like Plop Boot Manager? Or possibility to add back CSM Code for new coming motherboard via custom BIOSes?
  7. It looks like doomsday is coming in 2020. At least as far as Intel is concerned. They announced that they intend to remove their CSM Code for all UEFI Firmware. Unless somebody comes up with a viable alternative, DOS, Windows 9x, and all 32-Bit OSes will no longer work except in VMs.
  8. SYS.COM from 98SE for ME

That's another matter entirely, and I do use the non crippled files so I can get proper DOS boot in the first place. I even made a tool to automate the process.
  9. My build of New Moon (temp. name) a.k.a. Pale Moon for XP

@roytam1 New Moon is like a gift from the gods. I'm extremely grateful for it. Thank you so much! If you need help with any tedious/time-consuming testing of any kind, please let us know. I'll be happy to help and I'm sure many others would be as well.
  10. windows 95 on gateway 600yg2

so i added the hardware id of ac55 to the ac50 driver inf and it the cardbus works! i was not able to find any package officially that had ac55 in it with the vxd files so now i made my own. it shows as texas instruments pci-1420 cardbus controller in device manager. although the code 29 is in the toshiba wireless mini pci card extension, at least the laptop's internal cardbus controller works, you can just use a cardbus alternative for wifi, several are supported in the same driver that is used for the toshiba mini pci card.
  11. Since I can't find an installer for this version, you'll have to test it for me. Hope you feel better soon. It's also with a heavy heart that I announce the discontinuation of Vista support with LibreOffice . The software now requires at least Windows 7 or later in order to run, as of version 6.0. I tried editing the installer with Orca, but my efforts proved fruitless as even though the installer runs, the software itself requires function(s) present in only Windows 7 or later: Although version 6.0 will not work with Vista, version 5.4.x continues to receive minor updates as of February 2018. How long this will continue, I don't know. SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR MARCH 19, 2018: Added Malwarebytes AdwCleaner, Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit, Malwarebytes Chameleon, Malwarebytes Endpoint Protection, Malwarebytes Incident Response, Norton 360 - All Editions, Norton Family, and Norton Small Business to "Antivirus & Security Software" section. Added Corel WordPerfect Office X7 to "Office Suites" section as last version for Vista. Removed ONG tag from LibreOffice; added LibreOffice 5.4.5 to "Office Suites" section, as the software no longer supports Windows Vista as of version 6.0.
  12. windows 95 on gateway 600yg2

the hardware id of the gpu is actually "PCI/VEN_1002&DEV_4C66" when i checked regedit, the other one was put down because i read from one site mentioning it uses the mobility radeon 9500 that happens to use a different hardware id. so now i know for sure there is working driver for the new hardware id which i would have to use driver version "", however, other laptops may use "TO BE DISCONTINUED" = M10_ENU, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4E52 so it leaves this part still not fully tested to confirm more practical usability for windows 95. one of the cardbus bridges have the code 29 issue which for me is a dead end for the cardbus portion unless someone can give me a practical easy fix or solution. the laptop uses the 1510 cardbus controller which is "PCI\VEN_104C&DEV_AC55", i don't think the package i downloaded will work, it's version "", with a date of 12-27-00, however, it doesn't have any vxd files or the typical files you would see such as pccard, etc. although some vxd files are mentioned in copying section of the inf file, that could just be for w98 first edition, even then it wouldn't work with the code 29. interestingly, the toshiba mini pci wireless card i have installed that calls for the ac50 cardbus driver, it is listed in that other dev ac55 driver. the rest of the drivers should work, ess1988 sound, 100 ve network, ich3 modem, etc.
  13. Yesterday
  14. Windows 9x SSL Protocol WinSSLWrap 1.17 (Rev 06)

I have revised the installer, can someone please test this on Win95 and WinME. I know it works on Win98. Thanks and please report back.... Download it from here http://www.htasoft.com/u98sesp/download98ssl.php
  15. SYS.COM from 98SE for ME

Just to be clear, running this from WinME GUI unmodified after fresh install copied the crippled versions of COMMAND.COM and IO.SYS with removed real mode and no booting. I copied over the IO.SYS and COMMNAND.COM from tools\nettools\fac (extract from *.dta files) directory in the WinMe Cd, overwriting the relevant ones on the HD. io.sys - 35d8554b736e6d03960a0d158ac293e5701e7640 (from tools\nettools\fac) note this version is different to the one on the EDB and the non-bootable version. It can be used to install and boot from HD and floppy/USB/CD etc with no hex modification. command.com - 9a21712e64c4d498b70880b419104aed8a732ffd - same as one from EDB.
  16. WindowsPatchLoader

This program is also useful: BatchPatcher Downloader. I like it because it allows me to save a text file containing the download links as well as detailed descriptions of what the updates are. This program will install batches of updates: Batch Patcher. It's not perfect, but it mostly works. I've found that it doesn't work so well if I try to install large numbers of updates; in the future I am planning to group updates by the month they were released and install them in small batches, rebooting after each batch. Another useful utility is Portable Update. It works very well, but is more complicated. It's my preferred way to install batches of updates on Windows 8.1. I've also used it on Windows XP, but the last time I tried it (last month, I believe) it wasn't working.
  17. Aero Glass Deactivates Automatically

Hello, thank you for responding, but I really do not know how to go the aeroglass task. If you can explain it in more detail, that would be great.
  18. IE 8 in 2018?

I added the DisabledByDefault DWORDs to my registry as above. However, IE8 still does not use TLS 1.1 or 1.2. I believe both protocols are installed and usable, but IE8 isn't using them. Here are the cipher suites reported by the site above (result of Paste looks terrible, but it's readable):
  19. Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista

Hi @greenhillmaniac thanks for the context. Hi @VistaLover Yes, having it already installed was what caused the message/failure to reinstall. It was odd... I tried using the Search Bar (in add/remove programs) and tried it with & without the KB in front, and nothing came up. However, after I booted in Safe Mode, then rebooted in Normal Mode, it was there.
  20. i think 1.0.9 is workable,it gives kernel errors yes, but after that it works properly i havent tested it but i will in a few days,these days my head is paining too much so i might test in a day or two.
  21. Win 98: Explorer in another language??

How could I ever forget! Thanks for letting me know! I don't have the PC with me ATM so I'll try that next Saturday.
  22. Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista

I don't get it ... Why having KB4019478 already installed prevented you from installing KB4019276 ??? (Unless this is a typo, of course... ) In my case, I always let "Installed Updates" completely finish populating the relevant entries, which can take a while on my system, and only then proceed with typing in the search bar the update ID, always including the KB characters (i.e. a search for KB4019276 will succeed, but a search for just 4019276 will fail! ) BTW, @JohnRichardTLH and @mike_shupp, welcome to the Vista Community of the MSFN forums ! The more we are, the merrier...
  23. How to get navigation bar to be transparent

I was gonna say that I had the same problem until I used OldNewExplorer to disable the ribbon and now it works flawlessly.
  24. I don't know what Microsoft was thinking when it decided to ditch Aero Glass. I couldn't believe my eyes the first time I 'upgraded' my PCs from Windows 7 to 8. The dull, mundane look of the UI took me back to the days of Windows 2000. What BigMuscle has contributed towards restoring the look is fundamental. If it weren't for his hard work, I would have resorted to using WindowBlinds, which, seems to be a memory hog, and, doesn't work as well as it should given the asking price for it + premium themes. For a time after Windows 8 was released, I had thought that Microsoft would realize that they messed up (and would work to patch Aero Glass back in), but then Windows 10 came out, and now I'm convinced that they won't bother listening to the countless requests to implement Aero Glass back in for W32-based apps at least (UWP apps they might). So yeah, BigMuscle's work has been invaluable in this regard - I can't stress that enough. And that's why I'm proud to have donated to the cause + will do so again for the work to continue. And Microsoft clearly doesn't appreciate the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Sad story indeed (but thank goodness that BigMuscle stepped in).
  25. Force close programs on shutdown

Good reference, which leads us to : http://www.proffs.nu/brutus.htm http://www.proffs.nu/readme.txt The AutoEndTasks is Windows 2000 and later only. jaclaz
  26. OldNewExplorer 1.1.8

Hello, name is Vix I am running into an issue with OldNewExplorer. It has worked perfectly up until a week ago. I imagine an update broke something, or maybe a personal id10t error. I am running Windows 10, Professional. Most recent update, and drivers. I have a custom theme Arc and up until a week ago everything worked fine. I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling. I tried using a new download, and I also tried refreshing my registry to a backup. But no matter the action, the ribbon remains! Thank ahead of time for any help! Amazing software too!
  27. Force close programs on shutdown

Many years ago at a company, everyone had very slow Windows NT 4 systems that would take AGES to shut down. Due to scheduling requirements, users had to shutdown or restart their computer at the end of their shift while on the clock. BUT this typically would result in someone having to stick around for 10-20 minutes longer than required. I didn't want to do this, so I used the registry to speed my shutdown/restart time to a more reasonable timeframe like 10-20 seconds. I'm not sure if it is what you want, because it is relating to all programs... maybe an atom bomb vs a hammer comparison. WaitToKillAppTimeout used with AutoEndTasks: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc978624.aspx This will force close all programs on shutdown and not wait the default period of time and/or there should not be any programs that keep the OS from completing the shutdown process.
  1. Load more activity