Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Free version limitations

two questions 1) Free edition ... trying to clarify what it includes (maybe?) Free edition includes Basic Features (as listed www.ntlite.com/features/) + Image Management + Live-install Modifications + Component Removal + Integration for Updates, Language and Service Packs + Driver Integration + Hardware Targeting + Registry Integration and Editing + Tweaks + Unattended Setup + Application Integration + Pending Changes Overview and + Post-process Automation for personal home use Except Free edition excludes those features that are added by the Home License (as listed www.ntlite.com/shop/) – Live install direct editing – Full component removal – Other machine hardware list imports and hidden devices – Exclude irrelevant drivers from the integration list – Export drivers from image or install – Auto-fill unattended options – Update cache (WinSxS) cleanup – License never expires, includes 1 year of upcoming features – sign features (Free edition) would be + plus sign (included) when Home edition is purchased 2nd question) -- If purchaser is in US, is VAT tax added, hidden but not shown? From my computer, when I press blue "Buy now" button, avangate shows $49.20 as "total price" -- does that include VAT? Thanks NUHI ! Molecule-X ---- edit ---- 3rd question -- can I use NTLite to build a Windows 7 PE environment, integrate Rollup, install drivers, and add software (total commander, firefox, notepad++, imgburn, terabyte backup, ..., etc.) if NTLite can, and it's a lenghty answer, this maybe put this in its own separate thread, to show full capabilities
  3. Does this performance tweaks make any sense? https://github.com/xunxun1982/pcxfirefox/tree/master/patches/release
  4. Today
  5. Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista

Yeah... Unlike the error messages from Windows 7+, where it clearly says the update is already installed on the computer, in Vista it just says that the update is not applicable on your PC... A bit more annoying, but manageable.
  6. NTFS support in Win 98/SE/ME?

Good. In theory (not necessarily in practice) the Winternals one should be if not faster at least more compatible (since after all it uses "original" MS drivers/programs), but I suspect that the Paragon driver issues are due more to some combination with hardware, it is one of those programs (as we have seen here) for which opinions are either "it's just fine" or "it's unstable/slow". jaclaz
  7. I installed a newer version of the ADK, I think build 17115 or something, and now the SIM doesn't even start, complaining (or it's actually Windows) about unsigned driver. I guess I will just wait for full release. I just hope they didn't take away the possibility of running it on Windows 7.
  8. You Want to Change Your Username?

Please change my username to rustyx7. Thanks in advance!
  9. [Update] Firemin (2018-03-19)

New version: Firemin v6.1.0.4963 (2018-03-19) at: https://msfn.org/board/topic/177538-update-firemin-6104963-2018-03-19/
  10. windows 95 on gateway 600yg2

thanks for the info, the touchpad has been working so far within windows, i haven't updated the system much, just applied some setting changes in system.ini, etc, but it seems that i may be impacted with some unfavorable results later on if i choose to install xusbsupp, but i'll see how much i want to experiment with the system. what may be nice to find out is if there is a working driver for the mobility radeon 9500 that the laptop uses, the package has some vxd files in it so i am hoping it will work, though they may be for w98 first edition, gpu driver version is to be installed for the following below: "TO BE DISCONTINUED" = M10_ENU, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4E52 also some other random questions and info, probably not the best place to put it but i was wondering if you know a good lightweight system information tool for windows 95 and 98SE, i tried to download "ReSysInfo System Information Viewer v2.1.0 32-bit" from mdgx but couldn't find any trace, even with wayback machine or manually searching google for file contents / etc. i won't be using aida or everest as my goal specifically is to find something a lot lighter than those that is either around the same date or newer supported chipsets. i found benchmarkx 4.1 for w95 but it's only good till like 9-2-2002. there are some other ones but i can mention those later if necessary. i already updated some other components, dtemp was very nice and worked right away on w95, Roadkil's Disk Speed 2.0 for 9x was also nice and worked right away, i think it measures 4K random read with a queue depth of 1 ( which is a main reason why i wanted it ) as the speed almost identically matched AS SSD benchmark on a windows 7 system where i tested both programs, AS SSD not supported on windows 95, very early versions of AS SSD work on 98SE but are sort of buggy / slow.
  11. Yep, there are rules everywhere in life. Better get accustomed to it. You should try being more organized yourself. Might have prevented some of the weird issues you kept having before. I saw. I can't moderate there anyway, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt on that one as there could have been progress on these systems for XP without progress for 98 and vice versa.
  12. windows 95 on gateway 600yg2

Well, you found the culprit all right. Enabling "USB Legacy Support" means that USB input devices are set to emulate PS/2 (or older types) input so that they will be functional in DOS or other environments where there are no USB drivers (the first round of 95 SETUP launched from DOS falls into this category). The problem with this is that when Windows loads and loads its USB driver stack, the Windows drivers take over and the emulation is lost, leaving you with no input control unless either the KB or Mouse is not USB. In the case of Windows 95, where there are no USB drivers until one installs USBSUPP/XUSBSUPP, there's a chance that the emulation would continue to work provided one does not install one of these packages. However this would also have the effect of preventing use of USB Storage devices with that particular 95 installation. With 98/ME, the touchpad should work as a regular USB-HID device, but there might still be some hiccups during the SETUP process if any dialog boxes are triggered that require clicks to continue (unless the keyboard still works).
  13. Just lost another love one today. My uncle. The second uncle I lost within a year.

14. Missed one. There is a third post in the XP section.
  15. Back from vacation, so time to start updating the list again! Anyway, the latest nightly build of Handbrake doesn't work on Vista, showing this error when attempting to run the installer: Since I've found this to be the case, I have now added Handbrake 1.0.7 as the last version for Vista. Thanks to @burd and @VistaLover for all the information and research on this program. SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR MARCH 11-18, 2018: Added Skype v7.38.0.101 as last UNS version to run on Vista to "Instant Messaging/Internet Communication Software" section (thanks to @sdfox7 for providing a download link). Removed ONG tag from Handbrake; added Handbrake 1.0.7 as last version to run on Vista in "Video & Photo Editing Software" section. Added Roblox to "Games" -> "Active Development" section. Added H&R Block Tax Software, QuickBooks Desktop 2016, and TurboTax 2016 to "Invoicing, Finance, and Business Management" section.
  16. Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista

Well... turns out that KB4019478 was already installed, which was the reason for the error message. I had searched Installed Updates but I could swear it didn't show up. I booted into Safe Mode, then rebooted again. This time, I'm finding KB4019478 in the list. Go figure
  17. Win 98: Explorer in another language??

Don't forget the backslashes: COPY C:\explorer.exe C:\WINDOWS
  18. Latest Version of Software Running on XP

Skype is the version I'm using. Its works without issues.
  19. Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista

Thanks @mike_shupp I just tried downloading the three 32bit versions again (July 18, 2017; Sep 09, 2019; Nov 10, 2017). They all behave the same way when I try to install them. I tried changing the default browser to IE9 but still get same message as my prior post. I wonder if another update is interfering with it?
  20. Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista

John Richard -- Maybe you've actually installed one of those earlier versions of the update? Or perhaps you weren't using IE 9 or have something else selected as your primary browswer? I'd think if it were still on the hard drive that Vista would accept updates affecting IE 9, but I might be wrong.
  21. MrMateczko- thanks, im aware old issues, but problem was Sata controller, if rloew fixed it, great. Intel 3xx chipsets + 8xxx CPU look interenting for me - cheap quad and six cores with best singlecore games performance. Other condition is that same configuration have to be able to run Windows XP too. HD audio driver even for Win 3.1 is great news, that something is getting better- rephaps some day Dos and Win9x driver will happen. Yes, im aware new Adlib for LPT port too. Now i know why i wasnt half a year here, too much rules and efforts to tutor, yes mother
  22. Windows 7 - Drive Lettering

Thanks jaclaz, I am now completely and totally convinced to leave the drive lettering as is. Cheers
  23. Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista

Wow... this is great work guys! I was able to use @greenhillmaniac repository and successfully install virtually all Updates on my Vista 32 Business computer. The Batch File he included was awesome! Also installed MS Security Essentials as outlined previously and all works great! The only update I'm unable to install is KB4019276 (to add support for TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2). I've downloaded the Windows6.0-KB4019276-TLS-x86.msu from @greenhillmaniac's link in the Extras's folder and I've tried to download/install older versions from the MS Update Catalog, but they all fail, saying "Windows Update Standalone Installer, The update does not apply to your system" I don't have any prior installs of KB4019276, so I'm not sure why it's not installing. Any ideas to test/try ? Thanks!
  24. Yesterday
  25. Latest Version of Software Running on XP

@Earthnet The last version of Skype that Microsoft officially supports for Windows XP is, released May 5, 2017. The original link broke recently (https://download.skype.com/1de55ae8023424270d5c382554da5584/SkypeSetupFullXp.exe), so here is the archived link: https://web.archive.org/web/20180218203417/https://download.skype.com/1de55ae8023424270d5c382554da5584/SkypeSetupFullXp.exe Here are the official system requirements, which includes a minim of Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3): https://web.archive.org/web/20170506033531/https://www.skype.com/en/download-skype/skype-for-windows/system-requirements/
  26. windows 95 on gateway 600yg2

yeh, my last option was to just get a cheap used or new ps/2 mouse from somewhere, although i would like to at least know why the touchpad wouldn't work at all or properly or potentially what the culprit is before doing so. i can try doing setup again with the things you mentioned on the keyboard route, i didn't install windows 7, i only loaded the setup disk and i was able to see a cursor and move it around using the touchpad while in the partition window so i know for sure it isn't a hardware issue. it don't think it's a usb device because if that was the case, it wouldn't even have loaded that one time and allow me to move around with it during the w95 setup wizard, though please correct me if i am wrong on this. EDIT - it seems the usb legacy support option was the culprit, i enabled it instead of having the setting at disabled and i am now able to proceed into the setup right now. i will provide more info if i run into any other issues.
  27. taokaizen Browser: "Advanced Chrome" Issue

@VistaLover thank you for the information you provided. @heinoganda THIS SOLUTION WORKED FOR ME! Since Flash Player is already installed in C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash, I did not need to do the second part and "install". Simply deleting the Pepperflash directory in C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen Fox\My Documents\Advanced_Chrome_v54.20.6530.0\Advanced Chrome fixed the issue. Thanks!
  28. NTFS support in Win 98/SE/ME?

@TmEE it works for me too, just slow and others have had problems in the past. @jaclaz I ran some tests last night, Sysinternal/Winternals will disable the Paragon driver if both installed. One will have to delete the registry key to use the Paragon version. HKLM,"System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\NTFSFSD" This way people can use the Sysinternal/Winternals chkdsk tools with the Paragon driver.
  1. Load more activity