Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. win32

Missing email client in the Start Menu.

I think it may have something to do with this: I guess it was only partially fixed. I remember reading something more recent (2018) which indicated that such issues persisted but can't put my finger on that particular post.
  3. sparty411

What software developed by Roytam1 do you use?

New Moon 28, and I'll be giving Interlink Mail News a try here shortly :D
  4. Today
  5. ~♥Aiko♥Chan♥~

Windows 98 as high quality video player

I tried SMPlayer 0.8.3.0 with KernelEx v19. It only works properly with base enhancements + api fixes opposed to using XP and later. Unfortunately, an MP4 video only appeared the first time the program opened...and it was only a small square that would not expand to the whole player. Audio worked fine though. Could you provide a link to UMPlayer 0.95? I can only find 0.98 portable for Windows. If there are any honorable mentions, please say so. This is a bit off topic, but how did you manage to get Slimboat Portable working on 9x?
  6. Sampei.Nihira

Missing email client in the Start Menu.

Hi, I set Interlink Mailnews as my default email client. New Moon as default browser. In the Start Menu New Moon is present, while Interlink MailNews is missing: Why? I added the client to the Start Menu, but it's not the same layout: I found the link below: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/shell/start-menu-reg What do you think? TH.
  7. Asp

Win 7, no USB drivers

I just bought an Thinkpad X230. It came with a new generic install of Win7. Wifi works, ethernet works. Sound didn't work so I got the Realtek drivers from Lenovo, and that mostly works, though it has randomly stopped working a few times and needs to be de/re-activated to get sound again. But apparently no USB devices work, on any of the 3 ports. It detects the device, then just says "installation failed", for both thumb drive and USB keyboard. Hardware is OK since I can boot from a thumbdrive and run Linux. I got the Lenovo "Update and Drivers". It had a bunch of "critical" things it wanted to install, so I did that. Then when it rebooted, the system failed to boot and had to go back to a restore point, fortunately that seems no worse than before. Rerunning the Lenovo update again, it now says nothing to install. I don't know if it really checked if its previous run worked, or is just using its record that it did it. I went to Device Manager and uninstalled all the USB controllers, then did a "scan for hardware changes", which is what I do on my desktop PC when some of its USB ports get stupid. But now the TP shows 3 USB controllers with yellow !, and if I open them, "no drivers installed" and if I try "Update", it fails to find any. -- There is one USB 3 port, and I installed the Lenovo/Intel driver for that. However, nothing I plug into it is detected. Is this a purely MS problem? I don't have the Win install media, I will go back to the vendor for it, but that will take several days. Though I never had to choose to get MOBO USB drivers , surely that is not optional. Any other way to resolve this to run Win 7? (I need Win 7, regardless of the virtues of other OSes.)
  8. bearwindows

Seaching for Intel 218V XP 32bit driver

Here is a Windows XP/2003 x64 driver for Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I218-V (v2) PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15A1 808615A1_x64.7z
  9. bluebolt

Could you share that driver as well? That would be great.
  10. bearwindows

I test it with ASUS H81M-P (PLUS). This driver is patched by me. I've also had this patched driver for Windows XP/2003 x64.
  11. FranceBB

How many will continue using XP?

You can still use GNOME Classic on Fedora, you just have to decide it when you log in, after booting. You can choose GNOME Xorg, GNOME Wayland or GNOME Classic. For the records, I don't really like the tabled/android-like feel of the "recent" version of GNOME.
  12. Jody Thornton

What Are You Listening To?

On an old cassette, Charlene with "Never Been to Me" (almost ashamed to admit that ...lol - almost)
  13. Yesterday
  14. dencorso

+1. Nice to have you around!
  15. HassanLechkar

Hey

Hello everyone. HL here. I've been specializing in Windows customization since last year. I actually was originally going to sign up for MSFN in August 2018, but a bunch of errors stopped that from happening, which was a bummer. But now I managed to fix that, and I'm finally here. Just to say, I won't be around here as much. So yeah, feel free to say hi. :)
  16. Dave-H

@bearwindows Great to see you here again, you gave me a driver for an Nvidia graphics card some years ago which I had all but given up on getting to work with Windows 98! @ruthan Don't be worried, just try it!
  17. If you followed my corrected instructions where the sys directly hooks the XP/2003 (renamed) ntoskrnl.exe, there is the possibility those three exports may rely on ones missing in 2000's hal.dll, which means you will have to do another wrapper to hook XP's hal.dll. As I've heard, hacking up the kernel to accept drivers meant for newer OSes is probably the hardest part of the OS extension process. If you give us the details of the BSOD you get when trying to install the drivers, hopefully @blackwingcatwill be able to help.
  18. Dave-H

Audio driver for Realtek HD Audio Hardware?

Thanks, rather stupidly I hadn't realised that waveout.exe is a program for changing the volume, much more convenient than editing the ini file! Does it need any of the *.dpr, *.opt, *.res, *.dfm, or *.pas files that are in the installation folder with it? It seems to work fine without them. Also, what is the item marked with the arrow? Is it something to do with having multiple devices? I'm still slightly confused about the graphic that ABCDEFG posted. If I set Left : 65280, Right : 0 I get 0000FF00. If I set Left : 0, Right : 65280 I get FF000000. The graphic says the channel levels can go to FFFF, but FF00 seems to be the actual maximum, which is 65280 in decimal. Not a worry, but I'm puzzled!
  19. You can eliminate the calls to those 3 instructions from CFF explorer since I still get an error when installing the driver and the other alternative of using an older version of the Extended Core, I use the v14c and the BSOD also appears. Or you can eliminate the call to those 3 instructions from PEMaker I give them to the delete button and I get a dialogue with which I have to change I do not know what and I do not understand anything using PEMaker. This already makes me very boring
  20. UCyborg

Did anyone try AG on 1903?

Doesn't work.
  21. deomsh

Audio driver for Realtek HD Audio Hardware?

@Dave-H: Good news. About the PCM-values: @ABCDEFG is right. You can check HDACFG.INI. After changing one slider of WAVEOUT the PCM-value will be updated in HDACFG.INI (definitely after clicking the Button). There is no need to edit the value. Last volume setting is saved, should be still there after reboot. Please check on your system. Delays and pops: fully normal. You are still using a (modified) 'universal' HDAICOUT.HDA. I am working on an ALC883-version. The file will be ready in a few days. Some Verbs I want to use are a bit complex. Are you still using HDARUN with Mytimer=0, or is Mytimer=1 working too? Sound quality should be a better without use of HDARUN.
  22. c.lee

How many will continue using XP?

Well I'll be sticking with XP and Win 7 along with the Chinese Android TV box and Opensuse running MATE, since Fedora and the other once useful Linux Distros have pretty much been ruined by the Gnome 3-using Teletubbies that escaped from the TV show these days.
  23. BudwS

Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

Exciting new Win 10 coming down the line, 19H1 > 19H2 > 20H1. Sort of like American politics, there is a lot of fertilizer to spread on the fields. The old Dell laptops, one 32 bit and one 64 bit, have installed the latest Insider Win 10 Pro with no problems. The old Mac Book is running the released Win 10 Pro, 32 bit, under BootCamp. Could it be that the crap is beginning to turn? Probably not when you consider the politics. But no Clean Build has been required for some time now. Still, Ccleaner pulled out about 150 trackers on this last Insider update.
  24. ruthan

Thanks, did you test it? I already tested some drivers, but their were not working.
  25. bearwindows

Here is a Windows XP/2003 x86 driver for Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I218-V (v2) PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_15A1 808615A1_x86.7z
  26. someguy25

What software developed by Roytam1 do you use?

New Moon 28 on my slow server and Serpent on my main fast Thinkcentre
  27. Forget my earlier instructions. All you need to do is get the XP/2003 ntoskrnl.exe (which has to be renamed), edit the sys with CFF explorer by adding the necessary imports, then you should hopefully get somewhere. Keep it handy in the same place as the 2000 ntoskrnl
  28. Jaguarek62

Server 2008 Updates on Windows Vista

well, basically if i try to start virtual machine, my os throw bluescreen. Sometimes when i start my laptop explorer.exe crashes or it just random throws bluscreen with error like win32k something..
  1. Load more activity