Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. DrWho3000

Microsoft security essentials and Windows XP

essentially alot of the files are the same opened with 7zip I wonder with a bit of manipulation you could swap file(s) I did try a windows defender definition update, didnt work it;s called mpas-fe instead of mpam-fe
  3. Silly question I'm sure, but the latest definition for Windows Defender on Windows 10 is 1.293.45.0. I presume that can't be used in MSE? I only very recently started using MSE on the XP side of my netbook because its original AV stopped supporting the last XP compatible version of its program. I don't know much at all about how its updating system works, but surely it's not just a matter of copying files across to make MSE think it's got the latest version?
  4. Mcinwwl

What Are You Listening To?

Theoretically Vinyls preserve much better, but yep, still "lossy" over time. Not as lossy as any streaming services, when they decide to shut down the servers, anyway
  5. DrWho3000

is there a possible way SHA-256 can be updated or have a newer in XP SP3 or be signed so updates for MSE works again, maybe there is a hotfix there is new kb updates/hotfix here https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=xp sp3
  6. Today
  7. Mathwiz

Well, @Bersaglio did say: You don't have the very latest, but the last update you got is still pretty current. If we can figure out a workaround, you don't need to worry about missing just that one very last update. If we can't, it won't matter anyhow, because MSE will soon be useless without updates.
  8. Probably not... CTR itself as an extension targets the Australis GUI (Firefox 29-56), not Photon (Firefox >=57.0); I believe updated versions of CustomCSSforFx should be applicable in the Photon iteration of Waterfox 68.0a, but any such talk is still very premature... In any case, Waterfox discussion, methinks, should be continued in a more "appropriate" forum, seeing that the browser requires at least Windows 7 64-bit...
  9. DrWho3000

I can't get to this link https://definitionupdates.microsoft.com/download/DefinitionUpdates/VersionedSignatures/AM/1.291.2489.0/x86/mpam-fe.exe this is what I am getting trying to get to the link I did wonder if teh MPStigstub was borked again
  10. Jody Thornton

My build of New Moon (temp. name) a.k.a. Pale Moon for XP

@cc333, the UI name is Photon. See I think Photon represents the flat look version of a classic browser.. I have mine set with tabs below the address bar (using usrChrome.css) and it goes sooooo well with Windows 8.
  11. Mathwiz

@heinoganda's MSE Definitions Updater will download and extract the latest definitions, but they won't install. I don't know how his program works, but I suspect installation makes use of Windows Update components that try to verify the signature, and that the installation fails there.
  12. Jody Thornton

But again, everything was lossy back then (not in the same way though). It didn't dismiss bits and bytes, but just rolled of highs or distorted.
  13. Does this mean that things like Classic Theme Restorer will work? I ask because I really like it because it makes Firefox (and, by extension, Waterfox and any fork based on FF => 3x.x) resemble a somewhat modernized version of the Firefox 24.x UI, before the Australlis UI, which I'm not super fond of, was introduced. That being said, I'm not very fond of Photon (is this the name of the new UI introduced with 57.x?), either. The custom CSS scripts made by the creator of CTR helps, but it's not the same, and customization, compared to earlier versions, is virtually nil. Also don't like the flat look (FF 56 and earlier have a subtle gradient in the toolbars, tabs, and (in macOS), the menu bar). Again the custom CSS helps, but it's not the same. c
  14. Mcinwwl

Problem with MC is that they are quite, eh, 'lossy' technology. So if you have the feeling it's not the same as what you've heard in the past... well, you're right
  15. ... Not quite ; "bootstrap" is just one category of "legacy" (i.e. non-WE) extensions, along with XPCOM, XUL overlay and jetpack; as such, they were indeed supported in Firefox 56.0.2 (last version with "legacy" support) and are still supported in latest Waterfox 56.2.9 ; what Jody wrote was actually: meaning that Waterfox v68α is Quantum based and will have the Photon GUI and WE support native to Quantum, but the Waterfox developer (Alex Kontos, of Greek descent) has somehow (?) managed to port to it "bootstrapped extensions" support... [ IIRC, early versions of Firefox Quantum, 57-58, especially in the Nightly and Developer/Beta branches, were able to support (at varying degree) classic extensions via flipping a pref (extensions.legacy.enabled); more here; as Quantum matured to > 58.0 version numbers, "legacy" extension APIs were eradicated to the point that pref, where still present, had no actual effect... ]
  16. dencorso

Try reading the 5 posts before yours, and you'll know all we currently do.
  17. DrWho3000

does anyone know If there is a problem with MSE updating, as it won't with me I have rebooted both PC's and router and restarted MSe yet it finds downloads but trying to install fails, I even tried the MSE_DEF_UPD_v1.5 and it fails, upto today it did it ok, i even tried doing a manual def update same there is deffo a Internet connection no problem is it M$ end
  18. dencorso

The latest definitions file is v. 1.293.20.0. There's nothing wrong with MSE v. 4.4.304.0, though: I have it installed also on 7 Ultimate SP1 x86 and, there, it does update to v. 1.293.20.0 and continues to work OK. I bet the issue is related to XP SP3 being unable to authenticate SHA-256 signed files. In case I'm right, full ability to authenticate SHA-256 signed files, which was not an issue till recently, now became a big one for XP (and maybe Vista, too?). Anyway, by comparing MSE v. 4.4.304.0's behavior on 7 SP1 and XP SP3 it may be found out what actually is going on. But that requires a kernel debugger in both, which I don't have set up...
  19. This is what I get if I try to access Sourceforge - Github access is OK, although the pages look a bit of a mess!
  20. Dave-H

Audio driver for Realtek HD Audio Hardware?

Here you are. HDAICIN.TXT HDALOG.TXT
  21. Sampei.Nihira

Missing email client in the Start Menu.

Not so , as it is written in my first post Interlink MailNews is already my default email client. I believe that to solve the problem you need a reg file that adds a Interlink Mailnews subfolder to the registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Clients\Mail" with entries similar to those of Thunderbird. Although this does not solve my doubt of the initial post.
  22. Jody Thornton

Server 2012 Updates on Windows 8

Damn it - I was trying his steps right now. And yes it still fails. The recommended IE updates was installed eons ago, and I restored IE 10. No friggin go at all. Crap!
  23. greenhillmaniac

Server 2012 Updates on Windows 8

Unfortunately, it's impossible to install IE11 on regular 8.0, since they only included Server 2012 and Embedded 8 Standard on the update files description, regardless of pre-requisite updates. Abbodi1406 also confirmed this in MDL (and he was the one that got Powershell 5.1 to install on Windows 8.0).
  24. Jody Thornton

Internet Explorer 11 will be available for Windows 8!!

Yeah you can say "duh", but I did say that I thought the upgrade did not work because I "removed" IE10, but you said that was not the reason - in part, it actually WAS the reason. Besides (i response to your "duh" thing again), there have been times where something seems clear, but wasn't the intended explanation, so I double and triple check now. See, I updated the core OS up to only November 2017, but I've always installed the IE10 updates. Even with it removed, the DLLs, libraries and Trident rendering agent are still present. So as long as the borwser is restored, it should install. I'll check it out, but if you have a VM you can play with, I'd like to hear your results first. Thanks for the info.
  25. deomsh

Audio driver for Realtek HD Audio Hardware?

@Dave-H: Thanks for testing. Any difference with your Sound Mapper? Less "pops" is an interesting observation, I will try on my ALC662 system. BTW: please attach HDAICIN.TXT after booting my last version of HDAICOUT.HDA, so I can see which Verbs of the almost 200 Verbs are truly needed.
  26. Mathwiz

Missing email client in the Start Menu.

Under "StartMenuInternet" in my registry I do not have palemoon.exe, even though I have New Moon installed and working. However, I do have basilisk.exe there. I'm thinking a browser installs itself there whenever you make it your "default" browser. (I never made New Moon my default browser.) Something similar may apply to email clients. If you make it your default, it may install itself under "Mail" in your registry, and it should remain there even if you then make another email client your default.
  1. Load more activity