Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. @VistaLover did you test if widevine work when media.eme.enabled = true ?
  3. Today
  4. Text-to-Speech Programs on Windows 9x?

I never heard Siri on Windows. By the way what about changing voice of Sam. I believe somewhere it is their in binary.
  5. Text-to-Speech Programs on Windows 9x?

Question is, will she be a usable TTS voice? I'm simply just asking if I could find her voice anywhere on pc.
  6. windows 95 on gateway 600yg2

I have a patch that reports the Drive name. It works on any 9x OS.
  7. Copy and Paste is frowned upon in forums. I saw all three in a matter of minutes.
  8. New chipsets - Z170,Z270,Z370 or Ryzen support?

What about plain 8100 on H/B/Z1x0 with modded microcode and graphics module? or 8400 hard-modded blocking 2 pins from connecting on H/B/Z1x0 with modded microcode and graphics module?
  9. Text-to-Speech Programs on Windows 9x?

Get a iPhone you will have Siri
  10. I have not tested yet.
  11. Text-to-Speech Programs on Windows 9x?

Back once again. So, I discovered Windows 9x computers were outstanding for reading books, something which will never go obsolete. Windows 9x is perfect for the job because ebooks are never gigantic or over 4gb. However, I have two problems: Where can I find some good, 9x-friendly document programs? I'm hoping these programs can open newer pdf and epub files. Is there any good, free TTS voices out there? Microsoft Sam, Mary, and Mike are pretty robotic sounding. I don't expect human-like voices, but something less more comprehensible like L&H Michael and Michelle. I have not tested Microsoft Anna yet (if her voice works, I'm content). Not 9x related- does anybody know where I could obtain the Siri voice used on mobile phones?
  12. Great, what about Z370, untested, or its not working? Performance of new 6 cores look nice. I also forgot on 2066.
  13. Yeah, what is wrong with that? Same question about different OSes. Third was in other thread, is normal to assume that not everybody watching all threads..
  14. YouTube WORKING! With Opera 12.02

Something I noticed maybe a few weeks ago is that my work win-98 system can play youtube video's in opera 12.02. It's sort of a back-burner project to see how it is different than my home win-98 setup...
  15. ... For Pete's sake, please don't give the devs of ShareX such bad ideas (only joking, of course... ). I am a fan of portable applications myself, that's why I opted to go for the portable package - one additional advantage of such packages is you simply do away with a proper installer (mach, NSIS, Inno Setup, msi etc) and the OS checks/blocks they might contain, especially in the case of software not meant "officially" for your chosen OS So, is that a ShareX 64-bit installation made by the installer? I know you have a 64-bit Vista OS, if the app was 32-bit only, I'd expect it to end up in "C:\Program Files (x86)\ShareX" ?
  16. Yesterday
  17. Latest Version of Software Running on XP

I'm pretty sure that 7.39.x and above will not install on XP, but I'd be delighted to be proved wrong! AFAIK the last version that works on XP is
  18. Latest Version of Software Running on XP

I have not installed it yet, at least I want to find a changelog
  19. Latest Version of Software Running on XP

That's presumably the latest version. Does it install and work on Windows XP?
  20. Latest Version of Software Running on XP

I dont understand this, this installer is signed 13 march 2018 is new or mmmm? http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full https://download.skype.com/5d7ac191986ccb485223c4e4e9e3e4ce/SkypeSetupFull.exe Business http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-msi Network setup http://download.skype.com/msi/SkypeSetup_7.41.0.101.msi
  21. Windows XP Spotter (the club)

Quote from website linked by SDfox Was certainly bullshitgenerated... http://www.bullshitgenerator.com/ My finding below... Photo is nearly unreadable, but that's the best I could get with my old cellphone camera... so for the sake of going on well with topic's rules From internet cafe at train station. Suprisingly, the place was still quite populated at low-volume hours. Few of them still exist in Poland in big cities. All PC's had XP, and a Firefox that looked like version 3.0 or some other oldie-but-goodie :>
  22. I used the full installer for 12.1.0 on Vista, and was able to run the software quite easily using your steps. However, using the installer requires you to do things a bit differently. Here's how I did it: First, simply download the installer and run it. However, the installer will attempt to install .NET Framework 4.6.2. This is normal. When the installer for .NET Framework 4.6.2 begins, an error will appear: When this appears, simply click 'Ignore' and ShareX will continue installing as normal. Once the software is installed, follow @VistaLover's steps to modify the ShareX.exe.config file. This file should be located in: Program Files\ShareX\ShareX.exe.config After modifying it, the program should run just fine in Windows Vista. However, I noticed on their website that this is a pre-release version, so the final version of 12.1.0 may require additional functions from Windows 7+ which would render it incompatible with Vista. OS blocks may also be implemented in the installer and/or software itself, which would have to be overcome using tools like Blackwingcat's PEMAKER (32 bit only). But for now...
  23. Great job, VistaLover! Like you, I don't use the software myself but I'm glad to see the ridiculous restrictions overcome. It's also nice to see that the application doesn't require any Win7+ exclusive functions... makes you wonder why they made Windows 7 and .NET 4.6.2 a requirement when the software runs perfectly fine with 4.6.1 on Vista SP2... Anyway, I'll re-add ShareX as an ONG option for Vista users, and I'll link your post next to the entry. Let's hope this works for at least a while, but it could be rendered useless with any given update. When that occurs, I will list the final version in which this modification works.
  24. Opera Archive

Well, luckily enough it is on the Wayback Machine, seemingly just fine: https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://arc.opera.com/pub/ though of course cannot really say without checking all dirs/subdirs. Anyway the "real" repository is on FTP, here: ftp://ftp.opera.com/pub/ and it is still working (and has also the last one for XP (that isn't in arc.opera.com): ftp://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/win/1218/ Anyway, the Wayback Machine has seemingly an archive for the ftp as well (though last date is sligthtly older): https://web.archive.org/web/*/ftp://ftp.opera.com/pub/ jaclaz
  25. Latest Version of Software Running on XP

FYI - Last Windows XP/2003 Compatible Build of Process Lasso Pro: https://bitsum.com/last-windows-xp2003-compatible-build-of-process-lasso/ Free!
  26. I downloaded and tried to run the portable version of ShareX 12.1.0 (GitHub repo link); d-clicking on the executable (ShareX.exe) , I am greeted by a pop-up that informs of a failure to start, because .NET Framework 4.6.2 is required, then asks to download and install that version (4.6.2): We all know 4.6.2 won't install on Vista , so I declined the offer... It does appear, then, as though it's Game Over on Vista... However, I just had a struck of genius! : I noticed the "ShareX.exe.config" file standing besides the .exe and decided to open it with a text editor (I use PSPad, but any other would be OK), there I found line 4: <supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.6.2" /> I edited the .NETFw version string to 4.6.1 (since this is my installed version ), <supportedRuntime version="v4.0" sku=".NETFramework,Version=v4.6.1" /> saved the change made, exited the editor and then attempted to run ShareX.exe anew: Lo and behold: As you can see, Update Check (from GitHub, via its new TLS 1.2 API) is working as it should ! It looks like .NET Framework 4.6.1 (properly updated, BTW) doesn't differ much from its successor 4.6.2 (that won't install in NT6.0), at least to the point of functions needed by the ShareX 12.1.x app to run... As I'm not a regular user of the app, I can't confirm it behaves/functions perfectly in every aspect, but be my guest and test it for yourselves ( @WinClient5270 , perhaps you could oblige, if more familiar? ) ... All I can think of for now is this is just a small victory for my favourite OS, Windows Vista!
  27. Opera Archive

Well... the Opera archive, useful for the older versions of Opera, is gone... http://arc.opera.com/pub/ My apologies, i cannot attach a screenshot of current state.
  28. windows 95 on gateway 600yg2

so i was able to install 98SE on the system, i didn't bother experimenting more with w95, although i may do so in the future. i've had pretty much no real issues for the 98SE setup. ACPI fully working i believe with battery status there using regular setup. no shut down / restart hangs. i used the usb legacy support setting to enabled for the entire time and usb mass storage devices work fine, although limited to ps/2 speeds i think? the controllers are just the regular usb one that microsoft originally provides, the unofficial usb update doesn't do anything in this state but no problem, the usb works and that's good enough for me for now. all drivers working. i was able to confirm working the following programs below on 98SE: Disk Thruput Tester 2.10 R16 ( i believe measures 4K random read queue depth 1 ) DTemp (checks hdd temperature) - very lightweight ReSysInfo System Information Viewer 2.2 ( several years newer than aida 3.94.2 while only being less than 700 KB, aida was around 3.1 MB ) Roadkil's Disk Speed 2.0 for 9x ( i believe also measures 4k random read queue depth 1 ), i like this slightly more as it has more tests and the 4K random read number shows lower numbers which i would rather have because it gives more of a worst case scenario type of results or realistic way of bench marking the drive. also back to the w95 part, i was wondering if anyone knows how to properly detect / update hard disks in windows 95 and 98SE. what i mean by this is how you can get it to show the actual name of the hard disk instead of the default generic ide disk in device manager. i was able to do this on the M6TBD desktop board by using the ide bus master fix or bsfix patch 3.01-4 , it also increased performance in all aspects, regardless of DMA enabled or not ( i think ). however, i believe that patch only worked / works on desktop boards, even though it doesn't say in the readme, i don't remember which systems i was able to get it to run on, but i was able to install it on certain systems, either laptop or desktop that weren't listed in the readme and may or may not have been 440bx chipsets, possibly newer. i did some google searching and mdgx site search, i found a package named "triones370d" which doesn't mention if it's only desktops or if it can be installed on laptops, another one is "bmide_95", ide bus master driver for windows 95, version, this one specifically mentions to not install on laptops and that it's only for desktops, and then a last one i found related to ide is the update "Q273468" which i do not have in my archived updates folder of windows 95, however i think the updated files in it are updated by other ones from different packages in my archive or use different files from possibly an unofficial package such as xusbsupp? "ESDI_506.95G" is one of the files in the "Q273468". one way to check if any of these are needed is to see a fully updated w95 osr 2.5 system, however, the issue with this is not only practicality, but also whether or not the files are necessary in the first place or may mess up the system if i choose to install the update. i also want this done on 98SE systems, i think a different route would be needed? my checklist mentions installing an older chipset inf update corrects this issue ( at least for 98SE, although i don't know if this actually works, which chipset to run / how old, etc. the bsfix on windows 95 is older / oldest, but of course, it only runs on w95.
  1. Load more activity