Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. XP task bar vertical?

Yes, keep trying ... that 'hot spot' is somewhere. It is very frustrating trying to fix it, at least it was for me. If you have a 'recent' backup, you may have to resort to using it, just to get things correct again. The fix is there somewhere on the taskbar. ...
  3. XP task bar vertical?

I have tried to click on the taskbar with both of the mouse buttons with no success so far. But I'll give it a try to see if I can find a hot spot... I can make it as wide as to fill the screen, but I can't make it horizontal. I can lock and unlock but that doesn't let me move the taskbar regardless of being locked or unlocked. I find it impossible to glue the mouse pointer to the taskbar in the same way that you would put a leash on a dog to drag it with you.
  4. .NET Framework 4 updates for POSReady 2009 failing...

If POSReady updates are installed, make sure MSI 4.5 (KB942288-v3) is installed! Furthermore, there are currently problems with KB4056615 and KB4074852, these should be uninstalled if necessary. Then the steps of @i430VX should be repeated.
  5. XP task bar vertical?

Hi Roffen ... just thinking about you the other day ... hadn't seen any posts lately. Well, until someone can offer a complete solution, I offer this to try ... you might get lucky. This has also happened to me about three or four times since I started using WinXP in 2012. It drove me crazy and I had no idea how it actually happened ... still don't and thankfully it's been several years since it last happened. Somehow I stumbled into a fix ... by dragging or moving the taskbar with the mouse cursor. It seemed to take me many tries but finally I can get it back in proper position. Putting the mouse cursor in the right area on the taskbar ... I don't know where that is but in an instant the taskbar is back in the right location. Someone else may know exactly how to fix the situation very quick ... I dread it happening again to me one day, so I will be reading all replies for a 'quick fix'. I think one time I could not fix it and went to an old DVD Ghost back up just to get it back to normal. ,,, looks like heinoganda has offered the fix. I will make note of it myself. monroe
  6. XP task bar vertical?

Move the mouse pointer to the taskbar, press the left mouse button and hold, then drag the taskbar to the desired position. Make sure that the taskbar is not fixed at this moment (Move the mouse pointer to the taskbar, press the right mouse button, in the open selection you will find "Look the Taskbar").
  7. Today
  8. XP task bar vertical?

It has happened again. Suddenly, I don't know what I was doing, but the bottom of my screen, AFAIK called the task bar, decided to jump up and lodge vertically on the right side of the screen. I don't want it there, it hurts to see it there! Anything I can do to tear it down instead of reinstalling XPSp3?
  9. Screen mirroring from Laptop

I have Dell Inspiron 13 7000 (7347) on Windows 8.1 Pro Media Center w/update. Would like to mirror my screen to Roku 3500x stick or Fire TV 2 but it does not work. I'm able to get my KitKat Android 4.4 phone to mirror its screen to either the Roku or Fire TV, so do not think anything is wrong on them. I followed Dell's guide for Miracast here: Miracast and how to make it work in Windows 8.1 And everything checks out I have WDDM 1.3 and NDIS 6.3 drivers, and DirectX even says 'Miracast: Supported' My Wi-Fi card is DW1708 which I believe supports Wi-Fi Direct. Not sure what is going on some help would be great. Thanks a lot
  10. .NET Framework 4 updates for POSReady 2009 failing...

Sadly, that did not help. After using that utility, reinstalling, and running updates a couple of times, these updates still fail.
  11. XP64 on DDR4 - Is it Doable?

Isn't it would be great to post driver links ? I would love it .
  12. From the Internet Archive: http://archive.is/e2s1 (Info page) http://web.archive.org/web/20101106131436/http://download.microsoft.com/download/b/7/0/b7019730-0fa3-47a9-a159-98b80c185aad/setup.exe (Download)
  13. .NET Framework 4 updates for POSReady 2009 failing...

Your .Net installation might be corrupted. Try running the cleanup tool: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_net_framework_cleanup_tool.html and then reinstalling .net framework 4, and running Microsoft Updates.
  14. Regarding the whitelisting: it might be because the 32-bit version has the 64-bit version embedded and automatically unpacks and runs it? Which is similar to what malware often does (they frequently unpack other embedded programs and run them). Not sure though, just a guess. Regarding FAT32: The problem is I'm not familiar with it enough to even know whether it would result in a significant speed boost if I implemented it, let alone know enough to implement it. The main property that makes NTFS amenable to this is the fact that the MFT is a single file that contains all the necessary information for doing this; I'm not sure if the same is true for FAT systems or not. I could look into learning it at some point, but if I do, that might well be over a year from now, so I wouldn't hold my breath for this.
  15. Latest Version of Software Running on XP

Installing that version of Skype results in the program saying the time is incorrect perpetually and won't let me sign in.
  16. No matter what I do, these 9 updates keep failing for me: November, 2016 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.0, 4 on WES09 and POSReady (KB3189598) 2018-01 Security Only Update for .NET Framework 4 on WES09 and POSReady 2009 (KB4054173) Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 for WES09 and POSReady 2009 (KB3142029) April, 2017 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 4 on WES09 and POSReady 2009 (KB4014570) June, 2017 Security Only Update for .NET Framework 4 on WES09 and POSReady 2009 (KB4021915) 2017-10 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 4 on WES09 and POSReady 2009 (KB4040962) May, 2017 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 4 on WES09 and POSReady 2009 (KB4014605) Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 for WEPOS and POSReady 2009 (KB3135993) Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 for WES09 and POSReady 2009 (KB3163249) Trying to install any of these updates as standalone .MSUs results in a "Generic Trust Failure" error. I tried reinstalling .NET Framework 4 but that doesn't seem to help. Any advice or should I just hide these and let them go?
  17. Yesterday
  18. Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

Malware? Good question, she was online a lot with minimal protection. And one app caused Explorer to abort. That problem stopped her from using the PC. Also, other friends used her PC before the Explorer issue. Thanks for the ublock information. What I find with Win 10 that no blocker blocks the operating system. It would have to be locked down like NoelC suggests. W10 is to play with and then shut it down. Best security.
  19. Internet Hearts Competition for Win9x

I still haven't managed to get 0. Anyone??????
  20. List of CPL(Control Panel Extensions) Addons

could you reupload cleartype cpl ?
  21. BuildID 20180219144636 - I'm going back to the previous version of basilisk ...
  22. Yes. But you won't need to do it after all, if you haven't experienced the issue with ntfs drives.
  23. Harkaz - will this make an image of my entire XP hard drive? (Should I delete the hippopotamus mating pictures now?)
  24. OK, you will boot from Windows 7 X86 (32-BIT) installation DVD, and launch command line pressing SHIFT+F10. Get GIMAGEX binaries folder from: http://gimagex.windows10compatible.com/ and copy to external HDD. Then connect an external USB HDD/Flash with enough space to store you xp hdd data and the GIMAGEX BINARIES. Launch Gimagex x86 binary from the command line. Source: set to the drive letter of the xp hdd (not always, click Browse to make sure) Destination: points to your external hdd, where your snapshot will be saved (use Browse to specify dest. fodler and snapshot file name) Name/Description/Display Name/Display desc: XP Snapshot + date Click capture UPDATE: Set Compression to Maximum as well.
  25. Makes sence since _IEnumConnections_RemoteNext_Proxy, and _IEnumConnectionPoints_RemoteNext_Proxy are missing.
  26. Harkaz - haven't had that particular problem, but then I'm not sure I even have an NTFS-formatted flash drive. I will try this weekend to get the GIMageX if it's for free somewhere. ( I also have a Win 7 machine - is it already embedded?)
  27. Latest Version of Software Running on XP

Sadly, this doesn't look as an artificial block on Windows XP; even if you patch the installer to work and install on XP, the contained LAV Filters DLLs are built from code which introduced incompatibilities with XP (as per my linked FFmpeg commit); leaving the installer aside FTM, you can download the zip package and extract it somewhere you have right access; you can then attempt to install via provided .bat files; but, in all probability, the filters won't properly work; I don't have XP, this is an educated guess and you'd have to try it yourself; additionally, grab a copy of dependency walker and examine those DLLs on XP; I bet you'll find missing API function calls on (some/all of) them... As for the installer, it is of the "Inno Setup" type, its "install_script.iss" file contains many instances of MinVersion: 0.0,6.0 whereas the same file of previous version 0.70.2 (last XP compat) contains only instances of MinVersion: 0.0,5.01 Service Pack 3 (Not sure, but the string after the comma probably refers to subsystem version...) Please report back with your findings
  1. Load more activity