Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Thank you, interesting stuff! I've saved that revoked certificate's installation file so I can restore it when it gets removed again. Still not sure why the certificate errors aren't appearing when Eudora is running on Windows 10. Surely the certificate isn't there either?
  3. Today
  4. https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/google-announces-first-ever-sha1-collision-attack/ If you are curious about the scientific background
  5. Adult ad's In E, E10 &T Rated Microsoft Game Apps

Hmm. Maybe it is not game-dependent but account-dependent. I mean that if your account is marked as used by mature person, you will get mature ads. Maybe check this out on a fresh Microsoft account, that is set up as adolescent account, and see if the 17+ ads still appear. And sorry for approaching the topic sideways. Direct solution to your problem is here, and does not look promising: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_other-mso_other/how-do-i-contact-your-complaint-department/a1b1e81a-8d2b-4472-b7d0-42016211a69b
  6. Who do I complain to at Microsoft and/or Arcadium about selecting and showing advertisements inappropriate for young people during game play? All of the games in the Microsoft Window's App Store that are rated by ESRB as E, E10 & T should not show still or video ad's for games with adult themes or other products for adults. I have seen adult ad's in Microsoft Solitaire Collection, Microsoft Ultimate Word Games, Microsoft Bingo, Microsoft Treasure Hunt, Microsoft Minesweeper & Microsoft Mahjong. I do not mind the ad's, but they should not show ad's with adult content in games for children or teens.
  7. Den - thanks. Your links don't have it any more, but then I found I had installed it on my XP machine, so I copied from there to the wife's 7 machine, and it's installing now.
  8. KB2883042... office2003-KB2883042-FullFile-ENU.exe... @Bersaglio's never wrong, you ought to know that, by now...
  9. XP64 on DDR4 - Is it Doable?

Well, I'll see what I can do... It might take some time; I'm new to allot of this stuff. I ran into an ACPI error constantly when trying to do a fresh install with my custom USB stick on the x99 System but, I had my previous semi-portable install backed up. (It already had hundreds of drivers, tweaks, and updates over the years to increase; compatibility, speed, security, privacy and to be more portable.) Since I own a legal Volume License of XP x64 Edition activation was no issue. So, I decided to try booting it and it did; without any errors! I will see about getting the links or hosting the drivers myself somehow. Like I said, it will take me some time. I'll update you as soon as I can. Feel free to follow me so you can get the links as soon as I share them.
  10. Latest Version of Software Running on XP

New Moon / KM-Goanna / Basilisk
  11. WinNTSetup v3.8.8.6 / 3.8.9 B2

When I apply the following reg file during the first logon of a new install which I guess is the OOBE stage, the correct HKLM does not get set. It ends up in the WOW6432Node branch. If I apply the reg file later, it applies correctly. This doesn't happen to all reg files, just certain ones. I have a few others that behave this way. I never noticed this until I installed a 64-bit Win7 and was wondering why the logon background was not the same as my desktop background. ; Custom Logon UI to match Desktop Background (see \system32\oobe\info\backgrounds) ; (not being applied to 64-bit branch) [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background] "OEMBackground"=dword:00000001
  12. Latest Version of Software Running on XP

Apparently Firefox goes EOL as of June. Any browser options after that happens?
  13. Bersaglio you said, "Your wife's system needs at least two additional updates for Office 2003: KB2883042 (critical security update for Excel 2003) and KB4011703 - (security update for mso.dll)." However, the MS Update Catalog does not have KB2883042. Is that the right number, or has it been superseded? Thanks.
  14. @Mcinwwl A consolation I can give you, you were not the first who has sacrificed time with this problem.
  15. Yesterday
  16. Root Certificates and Revoked Certificates for Windows XP

It is a valid root certificate, but considered unsafe by encryption technology. Furthermore, this should be reported to the forum that they should take a safer encryption for their HTML e-mails. The certificate updates of MS are primarily used by companies and not by private users, where they have expired with these unsafe root certificates after expiration and no longer be issued with this vulnerable encryption technology. Keep in mind that this will be removed at the next update of the root certificates!
  17. Thank you, importing that certificate seems to have fixed the errors! I've seen these errors on some spam e-mails, which is not surprising, but there is one active forum which I get notification e-mails from where its header image in the e-mail also throws up a certificate error, which is rather more surprising, and worrying! Just how bad is the security risk in using an untrusted Root Certification Authority? Also, why is this error not showing up in Windows 10?
  18. You're welcome !
  19. New PE Builder for Win 10 PE

Well there is now a new version Beta 3, and all can be done directly with internal commands powered by wimlib, so this means no more wasted time in mounting and unmounting boot.wim and the very big install.wim (that in every new version of 10 is bigger). This is the new way to make a project, similar to the way MistyPE project works using wimlib-imagex but in this case as an external tool. I am sure this are good news and PEBakery Beta 3 will have a great success. @ied206 Congratulations for this new release.!
  20. What Are You Listening To?

Boney M - Rivers Of Babylon
  21. Root Certificates and Revoked Certificates for Windows XP

In this case, the root certificate "UTN - DATACorp SGC" is required, which uses an insecure encryption and is therefore deleted by MS from the existing root certificates of Windows XP. This certificate is present, when updating the root certificates, in the delroots.sst file (which removes obsolete certificates). So we have an explanation why these problems occur to you. Meaning that you have to install the root certificate "UTN - DATACorp SGC" manually at your own risk.
  22. What Are You Listening To?

23. Sorry for the delay in replying guys! The offending certificate is attached. I exported it in the default format, i hope that's OK. Cheers, Dave. Test.cer
  24. Root Certificates and Revoked Certificates for Windows XP

Do not be angry, but with such information no one can see where the certification chain is broken. View the certificate (this certificate can be copied to a file at details and can help diagnose), the top certification certificate path should display the matching root certificate. Details are needed about the certificates in the certification path and no error message where there is only an indication that the certification chain is broken.
  25. Depends what you mean with correct branch. WinNTSetup does take the reg key as it is, there not redirection made. So [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\...] in a reg file makes only sense, if you install an x64 OS and have the registry setting of a 32-Bit application.
  26. What Are You Listening To?

The Clouds - 'Panelvan' The Clouds - 'Souleater'
  27. PEBakery

PEBakery Beta 3 Commands for wim file mainpulation are added as main feature. Most of the wim commands are powered by wimlib. Manual for new commands can be found here. You can download binary and source from github. Special thanks to PEBakery Team and wimlib. Changelog - [ADD] Commands for wim file - [ADD] Command LoopLetter - [ADD] Show url of WebLabel as tooltip - [ADD] Caption can be specified in Bevel - [ADD] NT6 Style FolderBrowserDialog - [ADD] Indicate build progress on taskbar - [FIX] Before execution of scripts run `script.project` - [FIX] Missing formats added to StrFormat,Date - [FIX] Drive letter support for StrFormat,Inc/Dec - [FIX] Escape characters interpreted case insensitive properly - [FIX] Escape character `##` works properly with `#c`, `#a`, `#r`
  28. Drop us an example of such untrusted certificate.
  1. Load more activity