Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Thanks Den. Yes, the Search Companion problem I first noticed just after last month's updates. I rolled them back at the time but it didn't come good, which had me wondering. I don't know for sure whether it was actually caused by one of them of course, and as several people have now said that it's not happening on their systems, I'm wondering if it's actually unrelated to any of the updates. Strange that it's happening on both of my XP installations though. Thanks for your (and other people's) recommendations for alternative search applications. I'm sure they're all great, but I just don't like Windows facilities malfunctioning for no apparent reason, so I will keep searching for an answer to this!
  3. For experimental users I have modified KB4056615 and KB4074852. For KB4056615, the original NTFS.sys (The version was changed from 5.1.2600.5512 to 5.1.2600.7392) file was implemented, as well for KB4074852 the file oleaut32.dll (The version was changed from 5.1.2600.7248 to 5.1.2600.7424) and KB4018556-v2.CAT (name adapted to KB4018556-v2x.CAT) copied from KB4018556-v2. Available for the Windows language version ENU, DEU, ESN, FRA, ITA, NLD and PTB. AU, WU and MU are no longer offered after the installation of the modified updates KB4056615 and KB4074852. Before installation, the two original must be uninstalled before! If interested, send me a PM.
  4. Today
  5. Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

8.1, if appropriately tweaked, isn't too bad, and is surprisingly similar to 7, but more up to date, so that isn't necessarily a bad thing. 10, on the other hand, *can* be tweaked to become somewhat sane, but because of this Windows as a service thing, most of the tweaks won't stick, and MS is constantly changing things so current tweaks stop working. As a result, it's a waste of time to even try at this point, unless one likes to spend most of their time tinkering, rather than doing any actual work. c
  6. WinZip 14.5 is the last version of WinZip to officially support Windows 2000. It is one of the few quality third-party applications with the Ribbon that supports Windows 2000 and is (surprisingly and thankfully) still available for download from Corel. WinZip 14.5 (and in general, the WinZip 14 branch) is notable in that it introduced the Ribbon interface as well as support for many features new to Windows 7 including Jump Lists, Libraries, and multi-touch gestures.
  7. Maybe mobius, definitely not moibus, actually either Möbius or Moebius: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moebius jaclaz
  8. Here is ffvpx in new UXP https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/UXP/tree/30bfbb3f97bd64b7838bcb55c98fa698b1bcc9d2/media/ffvpx But I still love moibus. I have compiled new UXP , it doesn't feels as fluid as moibus. Is it possible for us to fork moibus for XP by backporting secuirity updates,libraries update ,bug fixes? [It can be a better browser]. If moonchild has rewriten shell of PaleMoon for Moibus then it would have been much better. Moreover palemoon except some UI changes.
  9. Windows XP: new Z68/Z77 rig in 2017

There maybe also boards with the NEC usb 3.0 Chipset. I don't know how good it is but gigabyte used to use them.
  10. Windows XP: new Z68/Z77 rig in 2017

I just noticed something. The specifications for both MSI X99 boards I mentioned a few posts up speak of the Asmedia USB 3.x CHIPSET, whereas the other boards have an Asmedia/Renesas USB 3.x HUB. Also, checking the support section on the manufacturers' websites, there are Asmedia USB 3.x drivers for the two MSI X99 boards, but none for the others (they only provide Intel USB 3.0 drivers). Could that mean that the ones designated as "hubs" still get their juice from the Intel USB 3.0 controller? If that's the case, I should count on getting a USB 3.0 PCIe card anyway.
  11. *Off Topic @dencorso Hello, you seem to be lurking a lot in this thread, apologies for the OT but can you please take a look (or notify another mod) at the forum issue I reported here (and possibly oblige ) ? Many thanks...
  12. Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

Manual backup of profile always works, just these are necessary:
  13. Well, businesswiseit's not that dumb, as Facebook and Google (Alphabet group) are already ahead of them.
  14. Introducing - Unofficial Windows XP SP4

Importing the reg file and updating IE 8 Security update fixed my issue. I got a bunch more after scanning MU. Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WindowsEmbedded] [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WEPOS] [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\WES] [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady] "Installed"=dword:00000001
  15. As the problem is only in the oleaut32.dll file of KB4074852 and not in the whole update (Kernel32.dll, ntdll.dll, Ole32.dll, Rpcss.dll, Updspapi.dll) this is what I have done to fix it. I do not know if it will be a good procedure but it works: - Search in C:\WINDOWS for all oleaut32.dll files - Copy oleaut32.dll 5.1.2600.7248 550KB to C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache - Rename to C:\WINDOWS\system32\oleaut32zzzzz.dll 5.1.2600.7424 534KB - Wait a while for the system to automatically copy it to C:\WINDOWS\system32 - Restart (It may give some errors while shutting down the first time) Malwarebytes work, Find target work... --------------------------------------------------- I add that the list of cpu affected by Meltdown / Spectre is increasing and is already in version 7: https://www.techarp.com/guides/complete-meltdown-spectre-cpu-list/ The Core 2 Duo already appear.
  16. Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!

In my regoin, daily windows 8.1 actually grown a little! Windows 10 M$ crap, did grow a small bit too. The good ol' windows 7 is constantly combating with windows 10's ''windows as a service'' thingy but I'm actually expecting for windows 11 to appear, at least I hope so. Windows 8 is kinda crap, but windows 8.1 november, which my iso included, is awesome, without any tweaks! The only reason I used ever edge was the paint feature, but even that was just kind of play around with it. I'll never used Windows 10 again.
  17. I can confirm that error with CDBurnerXP, and yes it's one more time KB4074852's fault. It's worrisome that Microsoft is more and more starting to churn out half-baked updates for POSReady 2009 (XP).
  18. i removed it and seem there is no any problem. but i want sure it's always ok.
  19. Another possible failure of KB4074852 with CDBurnerXP: https://forum.cdburnerxp.se/topic/10322-after-windows-xp-patches-cdburner-does-not-start-and-show-error/?tab=comments#comment-39393
  20. When it comes to search programs, one more recommendation: Everything, when I switched to it, I never looked back. Just envoke it with ctrl+F and find anything instantly. (I'll checkout dencorso's favorites too)
  21. Windows XP: new Z68/Z77 rig in 2017

Would the controllers on Z87/Z97/X99/Z170 systems be that much different from the ones on Z68/Z77/X79 systems? Originally, I was planning on using the Velociraptor I have lying around as the system drive, but I'm now leaning toward an SSD. One of my mechanical data drives will also need to run at its highest speed. The other drives can be a little slower (especially the archive drives). The two Z97 and the two Z170 boards I listed a few posts up have an additional ASMedia ASM1061 chip with two SATA3 connectors (four on the Z97 Extreme9). My current XP PC is working very unreliably so I can't keep using it. The plan is to go with two new builds, one running XP Pro x64 and the other 7 Pro x64.
  22. Windows XP: new Z68/Z77 rig in 2017

I only know little about the guys drivers. As much as I know is that I integrated a universal driver before once to a CD for installing windows. Further than that I wouldn't assume at all the Intel SATA 3.0 works in AHCI or Raid mode properly on windows XP at full speed. All i know is that it will only work at sata 2.0 speed in IDE mode. You don't want this because it defeats the purpose. WHy go through all of the trouble to be stuck at what your left with. But I know other controlllers made by other compainis such as Marvell, LSI, Asmedia etc might work and have drivers for. The trick is to find a board with those 3rd party chips integrated or decide on adding a expansion host controller card. My personal opinion if I were buildding a new system I wouldn't be building one to run XP on. I would be going with probably one of AMDs new offerings in a year once everything has fully matured or now if I had the money to invest in a platform I could upgrade a year from now that is future proof. Just my 2 cents I would be building a monster 24 core system with 32 gigs of ram or somthing that would last me the next 15-20 years or forever if it don't die.. I would then keep the older computer im using now on the side that can run XP if I really needed it. I am sure the instances would be low that I would have to. XP is already obsolete but its still fine for Multimedia, some light office work, web browing and light gaming which I think is all the majority of people need it for. But in the future maybe it ends up like 98se and 2000 needed all kinds of hacks just to barely web browse. you don't want to be hidered and want more power and a system that can do anything you throw at it fast.
  23. I just wonder if this can be used to fix tls1.2 issue in XP.
  24. Windows XP: new Z68/Z77 rig in 2017

I figured the Intel SATA controller's operation would be covered by Fernando's Intel AHCI/RAID drivers. Do you think I'm assuming wrong? I prefer to have a working onboard USB 3.0 solution. I'd like two ports in the back (if possible) and two front headers (one for an internal USB 3.0 card reader with extra USB 3.0 port, and another for the two USB 3.0 ports at the front of the case), which amounts to 6 ports. Such cards probably exist, but this amount of bandwidth can't be handled by one PCIe card alone.
  25. Sure! you do deserve a pizza fom Domino's at that!
  26. Lol that's a directory in XUL soarce directory. Not mafia or something. You can play mafia 2 a nice game One thing more you take me to dominos for pizza
  1. Load more activity