Windows XP SP2 Service Configurations

I know most of you already have one somewhere in your collection, but here goes anyhow for those who aint.

This is an inf for setting XP SP2 Service Configurations, to Black Vipers (http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm) current 'SAFE' guidelines. For an unattended install use the following under [Commands]in your cmdlines.txt and put the inf in the same folder as cmdlines.txt

Home edition:

"rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 .\services.inf"

Professional:

"rundll32.exe setupapi,InstallHinfSection ProInstall 128 .\services.inf"

I have left comments in if you need to change /remove any you desire, please read his pages first though.

The file is also uninstallable, if the desired results are not as expected, the uninstall will turn all services changed by it back to Windows SP2 defaults. To uninstall go to add/remove programs and select 'SAFE service config'. To uninstall you should be logged in with Administrator privileges.

The file does not contain all Windows XP SP2 services, just those where the 'SAFE' install differs from the defaults.

PS The only change from BV's page is that he has mistakenly suggested that Telnet service is not disabled by default, which it is and therefore not included in the file.

Hope it helps someone.

services.inf

• 2 months later...

Due to a recent request, I have made a very similar inf to the previous one; the main difference being that it has all of the SP2 Services from Black Vipers Site.

I have stuck some commented basic instructions at the top for those who require help.

The services are all set at BVs 'SAFE' settings again, so all you should have to do is change the 0x0? bit on the ones you wish to have different.

This file will only Install using a command line, i.e right click -> install will not work; this is by design.

For Home Edition SP2 Users

Rundll32.exe setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection HomeInstall 128 .\sp2serv.inf

or

Rundll32.exe setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection HomeInstall 132 <drive>\<path>\sp2serv.inf

For Professional Edition SP2 Users

Rundll32.exe setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection ProInstall 128 .\sp2serv.inf

or

Rundll32.exe setupapi.dll,InstallHinfSection ProInstall 132 <drive>\<path>\sp2serv.inf

Hope it helps others!

<edit>

I have upped it again due to a small error :blushing:

</edit>

sp2serv.inf

Edited by Yzöwl

• 2 weeks later...

Thought people might be interested in my SERVICES.INF file. I have included an entry for each service with the option to Enable the service (in either Automatic or Manual mode) or to Disable the service or to reset the service to the default. For example for the alerter service the following settings are available:

EnableAlerterServiceDefault

EnableAlerterServiceAutomatic

EnableAlerterServiceManual

DisableAlerterService

There is a description for each entry in the file.

Usage:

rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection {FUNCTION} 128 [filepath]\Services.inf

For example to disable the Alerter service:

rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection DisableAlerterService 128 .\Services.inf

Services.rar

It should work fine, theoretically it will only add unneeded registry rntries.

Better still, if you know what services were removed by nLite, just comment the entries out with a ; in both the install and back sections and your good to go.

• 1 month later...