Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8

Tihiy

121 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be able to use explorer7 with current limitations?

• Yes
    • No

Yes it is. That show desktop button is invisible in both Windows 7 and Windows 8.

It is visible in Windows 7:

Windows_7.png

Ah, my bad, I remembered incorrectly for Windows 7.

Now I think I'm fine with the visible show desktop button under explorer7, it doesn't have to mimic the invisible show desktop button as Windows 8.

Windows 8 now requires the "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" Service running as it hosts the OpenGL compositer which is now required for the Windows 8 Explorer shell to run. This was not the previously the case in Windows 7 and you'd just get the 'Native Unskinned' UI, could save considerable resource by disabling the "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" and "Themes" Services, avoid ssues with some applications and gamas that use OpenGL and/or DirectX, and also see substantial performance improvements with some applications and games...

I'm wondering if the "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" Service can now be stopped with Tihiy's shell installed/enabled,

unlike Windows 7, there's no "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" service in services.msc in Windows 8.

if you delete C:\Windows\System32\dwm.exe

under explorer7, you can enter desktop after reboot, but black screen after logoff and logon ie you lose the ability to logoff I don't think it's a big problem though.

under explorer8, unable to enter desktop after reboot, black screen instead. it's also a black screen after switch explorer7 to explorer8. ie dwm.exe is necessary for explorer8.

is there anyway to patch it directly onto the wim?

Not easy path, sorry. Easiest possible now would be - portable install, grab win7 files, then copy installed dir into mounted install.wim, then integrate desktopcontextmenu.reg from scripting zip into offline registry and save wim and re-create iso. Depending on your skill level, it could be hard. I could create easier way if you ask me how easy you want it to be.

Win Toolkit can integrate registry files, that's it? Just integrate desktopcontextmenu.reg then just put files on installation folder that's easy. Anyway have you experiencing huge slow downs when using IE10 when you installed it on non-default directory of explorer.exe? I experience it on older version where I installed it on different directory, not overwriting the windows 8 explorer.exe. Also the installer hangs when you just installed it on %WINDIR%, it's too hassle to overwrite ownership everytime.

Edited by gendouhydeist

Anyway have you experiencing huge slow downs when using IE10 when you installed it on non-default directory of explorer.exe?
No. But maybe someone does? Beta 6 and up create fake Metro instance apps can talk to, IE could be hanging before beta 6.
Also the installer hangs when you just installed it on %WINDIR%, it's too hassle to overwrite ownership everytime.
Although it's not supported installation scenario, i will fix that, hanging is bad :>

I feel like cursing sometimes! Why on earth there is always a newer version after I've just intalled a new one?

Edit: I haven't cursed anything yet! Why it doesn't allow me to choose the path this time?

Edit again: delete picture.

Edited by Aloha

Btw, can you use the Vista style dialog instead of the old ones?
Yes, i did.
I also try to have Switch Shell but when I click on either choice, nothing happens.
You mean desktop context menu? You need to have correct paths in reg file as well as ex7forw8c.exe placed into installation directory.

Tihiy,

Look at the picture I added to my last post.

Edit: Uh oh ... I have W8 on drive X:, does it mean that I have to change all C: in the .reg file to X:?

I'll try it again tomorrow and tell if it works then. Thank you for replying.

Edited by Aloha

I haven't cursed anything yet! Why it doesn't allow me to choose the path this time?
Because you're upgrading. Uninstall first if you want to install to another folder.
Uh oh ... I have W8 on drive X:, does it mean that I have to change all C: in the .reg file to X:?
Yes.

No Tihiy, I did remove 0.9 before installing 1.0. And I ran the setup while using explorer 8. But because it's the default install directory to have "Switch shells" on the desktop so I leave it that way.

I also changed C: to X: in the registry file and "Switch shells" works fine now. Just one more thing. C: is where I have W7. Did the registry I merged last night change anything on drive C? I mean the registry that I hadn't changed its content.