Problem with install

steve01

Couple of years ago I managed to install XP onto my wife's Acer Aspire One (running Linux at the time) from a USB key. This was the way I did it, and worked fine...

1.Copied XP set up to my hard disk

2.Used Nlite to integrate SP3

3.DPs_BASE.exe to add DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_901.7z

4.USB_MultiBoot_10 to make the XP installation on USB

Had a few issues along the way, which you can have a laugh at here..

http://reboot.pro/8758/page__p__109025#entry109025

Anyway, now is the time to do it again, needless to say I'm running into some issues.

Step 1 - copying the i386 folder to my harddrive is fine.

Step 2 - integrating SP3 through Nlite is telling me I have a corupt file (not sure which side, XP source or SP3 file - either way, I guess I can skip this part and update after the install).

Step 3 - Here's the hard part...

When I last did this, it took 30 minutes to unpack DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_901.7z into my target folder. This time, it only takes around 1.5 minutes. I followed DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_901.7z to the letter, and the tutorial shows a screen shot of less than 2 minutes. So first question - how long should this really take?

Step 4 - USB_MultiBoot_10 seems to work fine, but I see the following...

69866229405568103760.jpg

This (to me) looks like the file hasn't been unpacked to the target folder properly? And the size only increases by 7Mb (the original size of DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_901.7z).

I think this is the reason why my install is crashing, (blue screen after the Windows Setup begins). I know there's other tools out there to do this, but I was happy with the USB_MultiBoot_10 method and would like to do the same this time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS - I also tried using the USB_XP_Setup.exe approach, and (after selecting my taget drive [E]) received the following...

WHICH "USB_XP_Setup.exe" approach? :w00t:

In any case, as I see it, you cannot brush off the "corrupted file" problem as it did not exist.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Your advice worked a treat last time, :thumbup but for some reason I can't do the same again

Let's start with some order.

WHERE does the XP source come from?

Has it been EVER nlited?

Which SP level is it at?

FORGET nlite, try slipstreaming SP3 DIRECTLY.

Re-start from scratch copying the XP files from CD to HD.

http://www.howtohaven.com/system/slipstream-xp-service-pack-3.shtml

(you do not need to re-burna a SP3 CD)

WHICH error (if any) are you getting?

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

My XP source is originally from a disc, that I need to copy to my HDD. These are the contents, and has no SP 's on it whatsoever...

33731460596603701686.jpg

The tutorial says "Drag all the files and folders on the CD into C:\XPSETUP...", but I can't copy the entire disc, as OEMBIOS.BI_ from the i386 folder(s) in WXHFPP, WXHOEM, WXHWPA etc stops every time with "xp cyclic redundancy check". I'm guessing I don't need ALL the folders, as these are for XP Home, OEM etc. Is it just the top level i386 that's needed for the install, or any others?

I'll try slipstreaming direclty (without Nlite) when I know what's the minimum needed from the CD.

Cheers.

My XP source is originally from a disc, that ....

... you got by downloading it from some WAREZ :ph34r: site, that one looks like one of those "AIO's".

These discs, besides being illegal :w00t: , are MODIFIED, no surprise you had problems using "standard" tools on "non-standard" sources.

You'd better get a VALID source.

MSFN is not usually very comprehensive with use of WAREZ :(.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079470/quotes?qt=qt0471984

Brian: What will they do to me?

Ben the Prisoner: Oh you'll probably get away with crucifixion.

Brian: CRUCIFIXION?

Ben the Prisoner: Yeah, first offense.

jaclaz

Ha ha, like the quote! :D

The disc was given to me by an old friend years ago - same one I used for the XP source last time (and worked fine with your kind help).

I'm now downloading a new copy of SP3, though again this is the same .exe I used last time. If you could recommend the folders / files I'd need (from a valid source of course ;) ) to build XP on the USB it would be appreciated.

I'll then continue with the slipstream...

With no other XP source available to me, SP3 not slipstreaming (anymore) and an all too familiar blue screen of death.. I'll admit defeat. You remember this... :(

imagemxq.jpg

Thanks anyway for your time...

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update... (I never give up)! :rolleyes:

1. Bought a genuine HP (SP2 ready) XP installation disk

2. Copied the contents to C:

3. Used DPs_BASE.exe to add DP_MassStorage_wnt5_x86-32_901.7z

4. Used USB_MultiBoot_10 to make the XP installation on USB

5. Installed XP!

I'll never know why the same disk from 2 years ago never worked again for me this time (maybe because I was installing over Ubuntu last time) but either way, the genuine disk seemed to make all the difference - hope this may help somebody else facing similair issues. Lesson learnt - pay £10, e-Bay!

Cheers,

Steve_01.

:thumbup