How to get the cause of high CPU usage caused by apps?

the taskmgr (updating the data, drawing the graphs) and the DWM periodically causes a lot of cpu usage. You can see this in the 'CPU usage per Process' graph.

Your driver for the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M G is very old: 7.15.11.7962 (2009.02.28)

So update the driver, please:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-275.50-beta-driver.html

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-275.33-whql-driver.html

now check if the new driver fixed it.

Thank you.

I downloaded the driver v275.33

It appeared to work a little better but went back to CPU100% after I opened one tab in Chrome and viewed a CNN video. I would like to test in IE and FF but it takes about 20 minutes before the CPU comes back down I haven't done it yet. I will this evening.

Currenlty I only have Chrome (to write this) and Windows Live Mail open. Running 57 - 90% for about 15 mins, then just dropped to 8.

I am a web developer so I look at a lot of sites and if one of them happens to have a flash movie on it, I lock up.

Thx.

- Tom

Edited by laptoptraveler

make a new trace which captures the 100% CPU usage with those commands:

xperf -start perf!GeneralProfiles.InBuffer

NOW Run the programs which cause the cpu usage

xperf -stop perf!GeneralProfiles.InBuffer 100CPUUsage.etl

zip and upload the 100CPUUsage.etl.

• 2 weeks later...

So far I have not had the problem happen again, but I will run a few more tests and post issues here. My apologies for the delay in posting and I'll do more thorough testing next week. Otherwise there have been no 100% CPU issues for a week.

Thank you very much!

- Tom

I honestly don't know if it did completely, but it did help. I'm going to post how the same issue just happened again today.

- Since I've installed the driver, it has calmed down considerably, but I lost so much work time I did not want to test it until I had time.

- I just did a Windows upgrade and it locked my laptop at 100% for about an hour or so after the intsall and reboot. It has finally calmed down.

- I'm also downloading another updated NVIDIA driver and will see if that makes a difference.

If there are still issues, I will post the files here for your review again. In my opinion it is the driver, but full testing will be done to confirm that in a couple days.

- t

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you MagicAndre1981 for your work. I've been able to follow the outlined steps and troubleshooting tips you've given others. My CPU utilization problem originated sometime several months ago and gradually got worse. Upon boot, the system would hang for 2-4 minutes @ 100% CPU load. Once that worsened to ~20 minutes I'd had enough. I was able to stop the lock-up upon boot by eliminating MSFT Security Essentials in favor of AVG, but the CPU is still taxed for quite some time upon boot. If you have a minute, please put eyes on my ETL file, as I can't for the life of me determine which of these threads is the cause. They all seem like system processes native to the OS. Perhaps you'll have better luck.

I appreciate your assistance in advance.

latency.etl: http://puu.sh/4HbV

the svchost.exe has the high CPU usage. If you look at the "Stack count" Summary table you can see that the Umpnpmgr.DLL causes it. This is the Plug and Play service. Check the device manager if you can see yellow icons there. if yes, remove them and install the device drivers again.

the svchost.exe has the high CPU usage. If you look at the "Stack count" Summary table you can see that the Umpnpmgr.DLL causes it. This is the Plug and Play service. Check the device manager if you can see yellow icons there. if yes, remove them and install the device drivers again.

I did notice the umpnpmgr.dll via process explorer, but everything looks to be OK in device manager. It's a laptop with no hardware modifications to the original configuration. Is there a way to isolate Umpnpmgr to determine what's hooked it into that behavior?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there!

Andre i am begging you... could you please look at my trace when i upload it on mediafire? Ive tried my best but NT Kernel & System eats 50 % of my cpu when i start playing World of Tanks... Thank you Chrobak

Edited by Chrobak77