MS Office 2007 Compatibility Pack with Office 97

dencorso

Is there any way to install the MS Office 2007 Compatibility Pack to Office 97 under Win XP?

I mean even if editing the installer with Orca or some other usual trick is needed, did anyone even try?

Edited by dencorso

Well, you can certainly install it with Office 97 installed. The compatibility pack does not check for the installed Office version. I have installed the compatibility pack with Office 97 and it just doesn't work. Period. Meaning, you just won't be able to open xml files with it.

Give it a try in a virtual machine. I could be wrong.

I've installed the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats

(FileFormatConverters.exe), then compatibilitypacksp1-kb940289-fullfile-en-us.exe and then compatibilitypacksp2-kb953331-fullfile-en-us.exe and my fully up-to-date Office97 now can deal with Word 2007 .docx files and Excel .xlsx files! :w00t: I haven't tested for PowerPoint files yet, but shall update this post about it whenever I do. And I have just converted a small Word 2007 .docx document to Word 2.x format, just for fun... :lol:

@AndrewNi: Thanks again! You rock! :thumbup

Later edit: PowerPoint files (.pptx) also converted OK!

• 7 months later...

So this needs service pack for office 97?

Does this work in win98se?? or only xp?

Also can I save docx file with it?

Does it have the problem of crashing when importing large jpg/png files? I wanted to use office 97 with importing some jpg/png but it crashes so much. will docx addin for office 97 fix this problem?

thanks

Edited by kocoman

ok thanks, I looked at the win98 thread and it seems there is no docx load and docx save that is seamless..

I thought openxml was "open" but in end up no one can convert it... it is an irony, I will have to use a RDP session for now

thanks

During the installation of Office 97, don't forget to enable the installation of all the optional converters included in the package, because some of them don't install by default (select custom installation to be able to do this). Please find below a list of the necessary patches to have a fully updated Office 97, AFAIK. The patches listed below refer to Word, Excel and PowerPoint only. If you decide to install also other Office programs besides these three, please refer to Office Online - Downloads for Office 97/98 (yes, it exists still!) to check whether some more patches are needed, just in case.

Service Packs:

SR-1 -> sr1off97.exe

SR-2b ->sr2bof97.exe

Updates (see also Q248710):

Q163299 -> wd97au.exe

Q214652 -> Wd97mcrs.exe (requires SR-2b)

Q214757 -> fm2paste.exe (requires SR-2b)

Q215462 -> Wd97SP.EXE (requires SR-2b, install this one just after SR-2b)

Q222180 -> pf_setup.exe

Q222180 -> OFF97UIP.EXE (requires SR-2b)

Q238445 -> JetCopkg.exe (not needed for 2k, XP and newer OSes)

Q238918 -> cnfupd.exe

Q241873 -> OFFHLINK.exe

Q249881 -> WW5Pkg.exe (may not be needed...)

Q255606 -> xl8p9pkg.exe

Q256904 -> Wd97lyp.exe (requires SR-2b)Q269263 -> xl8p10pkg.exe

Q268477 and Q299368 -> ppt97sec.EXE (requires SR-2b)

Q273956 -> jetcu40.exe (not needed for 2k, XP and newer OSes)

Q274249 -> wdac97.exe (requires SR-2b)

Q830354 -> Office97-KB830354-ENU.exe (requires SR-2b)

Q830356 -> Office97-KB830356-ENU.exe (requires SR-2b)

Converters (install in this order):

1) ppmm.EXE

2) OCONVPCK.EXE

3) FileFormatConverters.exe

4) compatibilitypacksp1-kb940289-fullfile-en-us.exe

5) compatibilitypacksp2-kb953331-fullfile-en-us.exe

6) office2007-kb969613-fullfile-x86-glb.exe

7) office2007-kb969618-fullfile-x86-glb.exe

8) office2007-kb969679-fullfile-x86-glb.exe

9) office2007-972581-fullfile-x86-glb.exe

10) office2007-kb973704-fullfile-x86-glb.exe

Free Add-On:

DRAW98.EXE

• 2 years later...

And the subsequent updates to MS Office 2007 Compatibility Pack continued to work with Office 97, under Windows XP SP3, until recently.

Now there is an issue:

GIFIMP32.FLT v. 2003.1100.8327.0, from KB2289163 refuses to import GIFs for Office-97! :wacko:

The work-around for it is to fall back to the previous version, which is:

GIFIMP32.FLT v. 2003.1100.8165.0, from KB921598, which is the last one known for sure to work with Office-97.

Both updates remain available from MS... However they do contain .msp files that 7z cannot open, but MsiX can (so the latest Universal Extractor also should).

Among the extracted contents of one of the .msp files there is one .cab file from which one can extract the sought-after GIFIMP32.FLT file.

And the subsequent updates to MS Office 2007 Compatibility Pack continued to work with Office 97, under Windows XP SP3, until recently.

Now there is an issue:

GIFIMP32.FLT v. 2003.1100.8327.0, from KB2289163 refuses to import GIFs for Office-97! :wacko:

The work-around for it is to fall back to the previous version, which is:

GIFIMP32.FLT v. 2003.1100.8165.0, from KB921598, which is the last one known for sure to work with Office-97.

Both updates remain available from MS... However they do contain .msp files that 7z cannot open, but MsiX can (so the latest Universal Extractor also should).

Among the extracted contents of one of the .msp files there is one .cab file from which one can extract the sought-after GIFIMP32.FLT file.

I have added your workaround to SP3.10 or does it only apply to WinXP?

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

GIFIMP32.FLT v. 2003.1100.8165.0 will work OK on 9x/ME, but the File Format Converters themselves (conversion from .docx to .doc, etc.) don't work on 9x/ME at all. They sure do on 2k, XP and 2k3, though.

• 10 months later...

Forgive me for reviving a long-dead topic, but I believe I've stumbled upon a breakthrough of sorts.

I am typing this on a computer running Windows 98SE that I just patched with the 98se2Me patch. Like most people running this OS, I was discouraged by the inability to use the 2007 Compatibilty Pack with Office 97 or 2000.

Just for kicks, I downloaded the Office 2007 update and followed the instructions on this thread: http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/96877-microsoft-office-2007-compatibility-pack/

I unpacked the installer, deleted the version checker with Orca, and crossed my fingers. It installed with no problems and I fired up Office 97.

Word works flawlessly with .DOCX files. It converts them back and forth, opens and saves them, and preserves all the formatting. I tested this by opening a copy of my resume, which I created using Office 2010. It contains all kinds of weird formatting and margins which I was sure would be wrecked by Office 97. Surprisingly it looked exactly as it should. I was able to easily edit and save the file, and have yet to encounter a single error message.

Excel 97 is giving me fits for some reason, though. When I attempt to open an .XLSX file, a "Save As" dialog box pops up with an error message saying "The converter failed to save the file." This is odd, since Excel hasn't even opened yet. It pops up immediately when I click on an .XLSX file. A split second before the error messages, a box titled "Compatibility Pack for Office 97 Installer" pops up, followed by a Microsoft Excel box that says "Converting File."

I can't open an .XLSX file inside Excel eithre. I get a "This file is not in a recognizable format" error.

I think the success I've had so far is due to the 98se2Me updates I installed. It should also be noted this is a fresh install of Windows and Office.

Since 90% of what I do is with Word, I'm happy. I'll continue to mess with Excel, but if someone else can get it working feel free to post your method!

Regards,

beatoven

Edited by beatoven

• 1 year later...

I think this topic is the right place to report some progress using the Office 97 & Fileformatconverters in a 98SE environment using Kernelex 4.5.2. Everything is only experimental - but for free.

Opening docx in Word97 or "save as docx" from inside Word97 be aware of the following problem: Winword.exe is not compatible with Kernelex: OLE-functionality is broken. Solution: disable Kernelex for Winword.exe. This is "mandatory", don't play around with Mso97.dll (because of error messages for this dll when Kernelex is not disabled for Winword.exe).

Check if the following files run in Kernelex "Windows 2000 sp4" mode: Mso.dll, Wordconv.exe; if there are problems with "save as docx" from inside Word97 set Wordcnvpxy.cnv also in "Windows 2000 sp4" compatibility mode. If there is a "Msvcr80.dll doesn't start error message" copy as Msvcr80.dll renamed Msvcr90.dll in the same directory as Wordconv.exe (normaly "c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\" - v9.00.21022.8 works great for me).

Opening xlsx-files in Excel97 is also possible with the following workaround: run Excelcnv.exe in Kernelex "Windows NT 4.0 sp6" compatibility mode. Xlsx-files opens now in Excel97 with xxxxxxxx.xls (some number), "save as xlsx" is not possible from inside Excel97, only "save as xls".

The good news is that Excelcnv.exe as a "Office Isolated Converter Environment" works with the "Windows NT 4.0 sp6" compatibility mode activated from Moc.exe in both directions i.e. converts xlsx-to-xls and xls-to-xlsx.

The even better news -but that's maybe for another topic- is that in OfficeXP/2002-Excel "opening xlsx" or "save as xlsx" works flawlessly, apart from sheets/workbooks with newer specs of course.

Edited by deomsh